SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Suggestions for a .44 mag pistol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for a .44 mag pistol Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 1894 sbr with 13” bbl in .44 and then got a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley with 3.75” bbl.

Posts: 426 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a Smith 629 4 inch and a Ruger Redhawk 7.5 inch. I like shooting the Ruger better, but the 4 inch is nicer and easier to carry in a field holster. If I was only buying one, I'd get a 4.2 inch or 5.5 inch Redhawk (not a Super Redhawk as it's not needed for .44 Mag IMO) and not look back. The Ruger handles recoil more comfortably than the Smith, is more rugged, is more nicely finished, has better sights (aftermarket William's Firesights, user installable w/o specialty tools), and has just as good a trigger.

ETA: If I was willing to settle for a .44 Special instead of the Magnum, I'd get a Ruger GP 100 in a heartbeat. I think LincolnSixEcho's 5.5 inch in the post above is the best possible compromise of size, power, strength, quality and price available.

Ruger Redhawk 7.5" prior to installation of Williams sights.

Smith 629 4"

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
I had a 3" barreled S&W 629 for about a year.
Great pistol, shot it well considering, better with special loads than magnum..
Other people at the range hated me when I shot magnum loads through it..

I sold it for what I paid for it when the novelty wore off, much like many of my firearms..

I had one of these once. The only time I shot it was at a small range, 6 lanes, and I had to wait for a free lane. Fired 6 rounds, reloaded fired 6 more. While picking out brass I looked around and the range was empty. Was using the classic Kieth load, the dammed thing killed on one end and maimed on the other. Sold it not long after.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 4.2" redhawk that I really like.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I am thinking I will start looking for a Ruger Redhawk. I am going to have to postpone the purchase though as I just ordered a Sig Legion P229 SAO.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One option, on the expensive side, is the Smith & Wesson Performance Center Model 629 V-COMP. Kit includes compensator and flush barrel adapter.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking for a packable .44? How about one of these:

From the top: 629 3-inch, 629 2.5-inch fixed sight, 624 3-inch.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger Super Blackhawk with 5.50" barrel.

I can shoot this gun accurately for 15 - 20 rounds and then I'm done.

Since you plan on pairing this with a lever gun, the SA is the only real choice.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
If you're going to pair it with a Lever Action I'd go with a Super Blackhawk.

Look at the Marlin for the Lever Action.

Then, you'll need a nice rig to carry your new revolver.

Then you'll realize that you only need a second revolver/holster/Double barrel shotgun to "play Cowboy" and you'll be hooked!!!!

Really .44 Specials are serious fun to shoot out of both the rifle and revolver for practice or plinking.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
When you are talking .44 Revolvers, I say for the money and realistic use, Ruger all day.You can make the trigger as nice as a Smith and you can feed it a steady diet of HOT ammo and it NEVER quivers.It begs for more. Try that with a Smith 29.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep my 4.2" redhawk loaded with 360g buffalo bore hardcast or something from Garrett Cartridge. Its a pretty lethal combo.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
If money isn't an object, find yourself a nice 4" Colt Anaconda in excellent condition. It is one of the finest 44mags ever made and will only go up in value. Good luck!

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
A round butt 5 inch S&W 629 is one of my favorite all time guns.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Redhawk, 4".

Except in .41.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
S&W 629 Trail Boss 44 mag. A very nice ported carry piece.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Wouldnt be my first choice for Bear gun but its about as good as it gets for the range:

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Range use vs. carrying in Bear Country can be two very different guns. Carrying in Bear Country you'll probably want something lightweight with a short barrel, not much fun at the range. At the range you'll want something heavy with a long barrel, not much fun to carry in bear country.

I have a Smith 629 Mountain Gun which is my bear country sidearm. It's a steel frame gun with the lighter 44 special barrel profile as well as some chamfering and other lightening tricks. The recoil from it with full magnum loads is my limit of controllability. Ruger also offers a snubby version of the Redhawk as well as the Alaskan model of the Super Redhawk.

With the lever action, are you wanting to go full cowboy with a single action Ruger? I much prefer the Bisley style grip frame over the Blackhawk. To me it's more comfortable with hotter loads.

For range guns the full lug Smith 629 Classic tames the muzzle flip quite a bit. The long barreled Ruger Bisleys, redhawks and Super Redhawks are also nice guns.

Then there's some in-between guns. Something like a 4.2" barreled Ruger Redhawk. It's still small enough for field carry but not so light that you'll never want to shoot it.

Then there's always a 6" barreled blued Smith 29, because every gun guy has to have a Dirty Harry gun...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Depends what you will use it for.

I've had great experience with the Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter, most accurate revolver that I've owned.

For an ironsights only, I favor the Ruger Blackhawk, flattop. It's what I have now.

SW 29, is nice, have no experience shooting one.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It all depends on your intended use. FWIW, I have been shooting .44 mag since 1974.

The Ruger Redhawk in 5.5 would come as close as any to a do-all .44. If you prefer single action, versions of the Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk can be had in a similar barrel length.

While a 4 inch is a great holster gun, (a Smith 629 Mountain gun is a grail gun for me) I think you need at least a 5 inch to get the potential of the .44 mag. The Redhawk is a bit heavy, but you appreciate it when firing full magnums.

If I am just starting with a .44. or just having one, it will be a full size frame with a 5-6 inch barrel. Smith 29/629, Ruger Redhawk, or Ruger Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk. If I wanted a Smith, I think I would pay extra to get an older one that was pinned and recessed. Newer ones look and feel ok, but I haven't shot one. Even though I like the looks of the little Smith 69, I would stay away from that if I really want to shoot magnums. Personally, if I was going to buy my first .44, it would be the Redhawk in 5.5. The triggers out of the box are a little rougher than the Smith, but it isn't expensive to correct.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just carrying in the brush, a vaquero isn't a bad choice, albeit limited in sights.

If my concern were bear, I'd rather have something double action, or an auto loader, which would shift the choice more to a G20 with hard cast in a Buffalo Bore type loading.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post