SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Suggestions for a .44 mag pistol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for a .44 mag pistol Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I would like to get both a .44 mag pistol and lever action rifle. I am thinking of going with the pistol first. Any specific recommendations for a good pistol. It would be for range use and times I might ever be in bear country.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Good news...unlike 9mm pistols, there are only so many 44 mag handguns to choose from. A good one? That is a matter of preference if you ask me.

I like my Ruger Redhawks. Then again, you did say pistol not revolver.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned Ruger, T/C, Taurus and S&W. All fine revolvers but S&W 629 has the better trigger.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
Good news...unlike 9mm pistols, there are only so many 44 mag handguns to choose from. A good one? That is a matter of preference if you ask me.

I like my Ruger Redhawks. Then again, you did say pistol not revolver.

I was thinking of a revolver.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Not big on Ruger pistols but I love their revolvers. 44 mag in particular. Too bad the ammo is so expensive.

I believe if your patient you can eventually find a good deal.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Astra Terminator. Coolest 44 ever in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like a .44 again and would go Redhawk myself.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
5.5" Barreled Ruger Redhawk. Blued would be purdy, stainless is what I went with due to typical hunting weather around here.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Of my many guns I own, I have a couple of .44 Magnums.

I would recommend a Ruger, either Super Blackhawk if single action is your thing, or the Redhawk if you prefer double action.

One of my guns is a 7.5" SBH that I use for hunting. I don't hunt with a rifle any more, so this particular handgun is my 50 yard and under pick. I've shot out to 100 yards with it, but at that distance I prefer my other Ruger, a scoped 9.5" revolver.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Find a Dan Wesson 44 mag or 445 SuperMag revolver.
445 SuperMag will shoot 44 special,44 magnum, or 445 SuperMag.Interchangeable barrels from 1 1/2" to 10".
Very accurate and VERY robust!

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I had a 3" barreled S&W 629 for about a year.
Great pistol, shot it well considering, better with special loads than magnum..
Other people at the range hated me when I shot magnum loads through it..

I sold it for what I paid for it when the novelty wore off, much like many of my firearms..

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
S&W 629 V Comp

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a revolver to use in the woods, possibly in rapid defense of yourself, grab a stainless S&W 629 or the new 4" 69.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy. Ruger Redhawk.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
29-2 S&W.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
/EVIL=ON/Something 3 inch, maybe scandium since you may want to carry it. /EVIL=OFF/

Seriously though I like the heavier Rugers but I am not a .44 guy.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Astra Terminator. Coolest 44 ever in my opinion.
The Astra TERMINATOR was another John Jovino creation.

They were Snub Nosed Astra revolvers available in 41 Magnum, 44 Magnum and 45 Long Colt.

Most of the ones out there were blue, but there waqs a decent supply of TERMINATORs with the INOX finish

When they came out I had a blue and Dad had the INOX

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

I was thinking of a revolver.

Myself, I would either be buying a Smith and Wesson revolver from the 29/329/629 family or a Dan Wesson Model 44/744

Not sure what your use is going to be but Smith and Wessons are available from 2 1/2" up to 10 3/4"

The Dan Wessons have user changeable barrels, so you could buy a 4" or 6" or 8" now and change it to a 2" or 10" or any other length sometime down the road, You can even change out the profile from plain to a Heave Vent Rib or others

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input so far.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
My Ruger Redhawk 4.2” is a thumper and can take any ammo you can throw at it. I have some loads that put out about 1500+ ft-lbs. of force. The new Pachymar grips that cover the back strap have helped a lot in terms of comfort.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post