SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ilaflon finish - any issues with cleaning products?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ilaflon finish - any issues with cleaning products? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I have an X-5 Tactical, the earlier version with the TB. I’m sure I’ve used Gun Scrubber to clean it in the past without issue. However, the issues I’ve read about with Dan Wesson’s Duty Treat and CLP have me being especially cautious, more than I would have been.

Anyone know what sort of finish this is and whether there is any issue with CLP, specifically Lucas Oil CLP?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having owbed 4 dan wessons with duty treat. I have had 0 issues with any cleaning product.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
What additives are in Lucas oil that could be of concern?

My P228 and Sig Stg90 assault rifle are ilaflon coated. I have not noticed ay impact on the finish from osing gun lubricants. Ilaflon is a modified pan coating and durable.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Having owbed 4 dan wessons with duty treat. I have had 0 issues with any cleaning product.

Apparently CLP is a no-no for the Duty Treat according to Dan Wesson. Lucas Oils CLP, and perhaps others I guess are solvent based and that can stain or discolor the Duty Treat.

The person who had the issue may have used a solvent rather than just regular CLP.

"Q. What lube and cleaner do you recommend on your guns?
A. The Duty finish is the most durable finish on the market, however harsh cleaners will discolor it. The protection will still be there but you could cause streaking. There are literally hundreds of cleaners and oils on the market and more being produced every day. There is no way for us to test everything and that is why we only recommend a few that we know will work and work well. It is very important to stay away from strippers and degreasers. Generally, if it is safe for polymers and Painted pieces it will not discolor the Duty Treat, these are usually oil based cleaners.

We recommend, FP-10 , Miltec-1 and TW25b grease for the rails. These are the only products we recommend to grease the rails.

Kroil will work as a cleaner and bench rest shooters have used it for years. You may have to let it soak as it is penetrating oil. We recommend FP-10 as a kind of a do all, lubricant, cleaner and surface protectant. Any light gun oil should work as a surface protectant as well.

Don’t get overly concerned with having the gun spotless. Generally a good wipe down and maybe a little scrubbing with a toothbrush and cotton swab every 500 rounds is all that is really needed. Keep the rails and barrel hood good and wet and the gun should treat you just fine."

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
What additives are in Lucas oil that could be of concern?

My P228 and Sig Stg90 assault rifle are ilaflon coated. I have not noticed ay impact on the finish from osing gun lubricants. Ilaflon is a modified pan coating and durable.

That it is a solvent based CLP from what I understand. The label says it's polymer safe like one version of gun scrubber but only for "incidental contact".

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:

What do you use?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:

What do you use?

I have used just about every gun cleaner in the last 10 years. I even have used lucas oil clp, till my wife stole it for her roller derby bearings.

I dont know, that all being said. Break free is hard to beat.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Isn't it interesting? Some of these new Hi Tec finishes, like Duty Treat,etc, require owners to be careful about what cleaning products they use, lest they damage the finish. IMHO, finishes like Duty Treat,etc., imply some especially tough finish able to endure the rigors of LE or military type "duty". I've used whatever cleaning/lubrication products on blue, stainless, hard chrome, parkerized,etc. firearms with no special concern or damage. But then I'm just a low tec guyWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
....I've used whatever cleaning/lubrication products on blue, stainless, hard chrome, parkerized,etc. firearms with no special concern or damage. But then I'm just a low tec guyWink

Yep. I agree. The Swiss Armed forces orderd a quarter of a million rilfes with an ilaflon coating and is using non branded mineral oils and grease for maintenance. Non of the finishes dissolved, leaving paint marks on the soldiers hands.

Ilaflon is not a polymere finish. Just because we know similar products from scale modeling does not mean it’s the same type of product. Info about ifaflon can be found here: Ilag.ch

The reaction of mineral oil and polymers should be common knowledge since sex education. Mineral oil is dissolving polymers. All mineral oils, not only Lucas oil. It’s a chemical process. This is the reason why silicon is used to protect rubber seals or other polymere products. Seals and other polymere products was the reason for the product warning. It's kind like saying "caution: water is wet" or "this coffee is hot".

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have not had any problems with Fp10 or Lucas oil on my DWs.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post