SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK experts, what is a HK "Mod PSP", and why is it as costly as brand new car?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK experts, what is a HK "Mod PSP", and why is it as costly as brand new car? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Like a $32k new car? Eek
And no, I didn't buy it. I might be crazy, but not THAT crazy. Razz

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875958568

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
It’s of the hand made prototypes in mint shape if you read the description.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
It’s of the hand made prototypes in mint shape if you read the description.

I did, many times. Doesn't tell me anything more than that. And, if I've learned anything, sellers have been known to give incorrect info in their listings, and that includes the present seller. Just because they are top sellers doesn't mean they're expert at everything.

So, "hand made" somehow makes the gun so valuable? "prototype"? Doesn't fit the definition to me. According to the description, these "were originally made for the German military units". So, it's a production gun. Limited production maybe, but not prototype.

You have any other information to add, other than what seller said? I can't seem to find anything about this model with internet search.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is nuts. I shot a friends P7 recently and I have been looking for a P7M8 since and see $2500-$4000 ranges on gb and a few other sites, way more than a West German Nickel P228 I picked up a few years ago.
What is a reasonable number for a P7M8 with box and papers? And does H&K still have parts for them?

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loves my P7s but yeah that is a bit nuts. We are in a panic in fairness and that is a more "rare" piece so....

I guess theres dumber ways to blow 32k but hey, what do I know.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The PSP was introduced in 1976. This example was built/ proofed in 1978 (HI date code). How is it a "prototype" anything? Confused

Q

posted Hide Post
Well, most of that seller's listings are either "ultra-rare", "awesome", or both. One pistol is even "intimidating". I'm not sure how you would quantify those termsSmile The seller does have some nice and desirable firearms, but the bidding seems to get out of hand on Sunday nights! Hopefully the buyer really likes it - I suspect it would be very difficult to recoup that purchase price in a sale!

Posts: 154 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I do believe it is one of those early PSPs where they went through a few revisions early on. I can’t speak to price. That said HK, for whatever reason, tends to generate a lot of collectibility/desire within the HK community, more so then most other modern brands. There are some rabid HK collectors out there with DEEEEEP POCKETS.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The “Mod.” on the slide is short for “model”. The P9S had the same thing. They dropped the “Mod.” When the PSP transitioned to the P7 models.

Also, 235 seems a high serial number for a gun to be a prototype.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a HK collector but obviously the hype about no 235 out of 239 was a seller.

All I know about the nomenclature is that there was the PSP (Polizei Selbstlade Pistole) which was assigned the police designation of P7.
There are versions the collectors call P7/PSP, then the straight P7. I know there are two different heel magazine catches, perhaps that is the difference between P7/PSP and P7, but I don't know that for certain.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like one of the earliest models of P7. I've never seen a P7 with the slide scribed "mod PSP". So it is rare and the serial number is 235. But worth $32k, not to me!!!!!!!! It does have 54 bids on it. Up to $22k a handful of different bidders, and now just a bidding war between 2 people......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm...my PSP doesn't have the "Mod" on it.

I must've been gypped. I guess...

Wink

-MG

Posts: 1984 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The American Rifleman May 1978 issue has an article called "Revolutionary Handgun From Heckler & Koch" about the Model PSP. The designation "Mod PSP" is on the slide of a pictured example. Other color photos are present including ones with S/N 001. This is probably the first US article on the PSP.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pistol, but, no, not 32K worth of beauty and rarity. That's obscene. Still, you just don't see PSPs that early. You just don't.
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
The American Rifleman May 1978 issue has an article called "Revolutionary Handgun From Heckler & Koch" about the Model PSP.
Yes, that was a Massad Ayoob article. I still have my copy of that AH issue.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I find the 1980 target date odd; being one of the first <250 pistols produced commercially only to have sat from the 78 build date for two years?

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
guessing they got the info from Blue Book

'9mm Para. cal., SFO, older variation of the P7 M8, without extended trigger guard, ambidextrous mag. release (European style), or heat shield. Standard production ceased 1986. A reissue of this model was mfg. in 1990, with approx. 150 produced. Limited quantities remained through 1999.
The PSP is serial numbered 001-239. The PSP/P7 is serial numbered 240-251, and the P7 serialization starts at 252.'

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
So is this essentially like a "Saco Defense marked P-226" that was intended for the XM-9 trial?

I saw one of those go for almost 10k, I thought that was crazy!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I don't think this is actually a prototype, but is initial very early serial pre-production. You will notice also that the grips are checkered rather than stippled as the later models are and the gun has a grooved cocking strap. This is a real deal early Mod. PSP. This gun also has the correct early magazine, you will notice the cartridge count numbers are engraved rather than stamped in. Very rare bird indeed.

If I had crazy money, I would have been bidding on it as well.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mod PSP

It's a decade late to the party.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyEngineer:
Well, most of that seller's listings are either "ultra-rare", "awesome", or both. One pistol is even "intimidating". I'm not sure how you would quantify those termsSmile The seller does have some nice and desirable firearms, but the bidding seems to get out of hand on Sunday nights! Hopefully the buyer really likes it - I suspect it would be very difficult to recoup that purchase price in a sale!

I was just roaming gunbroker last night at this sellers auctions. Some good looking guns and probably some collectible ones, but they do love their "ultra-rare", "awesome" terms. I kind of want that VP70z in 9x21 they have just cause.. I think the vp70z is kinda cool for some reason Big Grin

Posts: 1303 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post