SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    a new sig owner question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a new sig owner question Login/Join 
posted
hey guys
i just received my first sig pistol
its a german circa 2002 220 45acp
my question today is when i dry fire it it
doesnt appear that the hammer hits the
firing pin
i may be missing it but it seems by just
watching it doesnt hit the fp
empty mag in place
please enlighten me on sig operation w this
scene
thanks a bunch

Posts: 8 | Registered: September 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The hammer has a spring rebound. If you are concerned, take it to the range.

Have fun. They are great guns. But Sigs are addictive.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The quickest way to see what is going on with your P220 is:

1 Make sure the chamber is empty.

2 Make sure the chamber is empty.

3 While holding the pistol with the barrel pointing straight up, insert a wooden dowel or a BIC pen into the barrel.

4 When you pull the trigger, the dowel / pen should launch out of the barrel. If it doesn't, then there may be a mechanical issue of some kind with your Sig.

Congrats on your P220 and welcome to the forum from Georgia.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Sure, his way works. But isn't going to the range more fun. Besides you can bring your other guns also.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
"...when i dry fire it..."

Do not dry fire much without a snap cap (dummy cartridge) or you risk eventually breaking the firing pin positioning pin.

Manually cock the hammer. Then slowly lower the hammer with your thumb while pulling the trigger. You should be able to push and feel the hammer hit the firing pin. Remove your thumb from the hammer and watch it spring back into the hammer safety notch. That is one of SIG's safety features.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a pencil.... eraser side to firing pin.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
^^^^This^^^^

My wife seems to have a neverending supply of Ticonderoga #2s all over the house. Easy to check the action using a pencil.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
"...when i dry fire it..."

Do not dry fire much without a snap cap (dummy cartridge) or you risk eventually breaking the firing pin positioning pin......

Yep. A couple of other good reasons to use snap caps:

1) The firing pin spring can also be eventually damaged. I had a Colt GM 1911 that I did a lot of dry-fire with during the 1970's without using snap-caps. One day, I finished my dry-fire routine. Pulled the slide to full lockback. WTF...the firing pin was stuck fully forward. Disassembled slide, removed firing pin and spring. A piece had broken off the front of the spring and jammed the firing pin in the channel. Apparently, the extensive dry-fire had crystallized the spring, causing it to break. With no snap-cap or live round, the pin will travel farther forward, increasing the stress on the spring.

2) The other is safety. Depending on lighting, rushing the check or just having a bad hair day, it is possible to check the chamber and not notice it has a round in it. A snap-cap with a bright orange or red tip is easily noticed. In our classes, we recommend snap-caps to all students.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post