SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CZ 75C Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 75C Question Login/Join 
posted
Do any of you own both a CZ 75 Compact, and a Sig M11 A-1? They appear to be very similar in size, and was curious about how the grip size differed? None of the gun stores her have a compact. I’ve held and shot a full size SP-01 Shadow, but never held a compact.

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a 75 Compact and a P229. They are indeed similar in overall size, but the CZ grip definitely feels smaller in circumference, and has a more natural contour to the grip than the Sig, IMO. The trigger reach does feel a bit longer on the CZ (which works well for me, but YMMV).

I'm just going off of memory and "feelings"...I'm not at home at the moment, otherwise I'd take some comparison pics for you. I'll be home tomorrow night...if I remember, I'll do that and post them up.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Have a P01 and an early P229, similar to a P228.

The CZ feels quite a bit more svelte. The SIG feels chunkier.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Most folks will probably say that the 75 Compacts are more ergonomic and better in hand than a compact P-series SIG. I however am the opposite. The P229 definitely has more girth but feels more assured in-hand to me particularly when G10 grips are used. A steel frame 75 in any size cuts a more slender profile but like many slimmer grips they never feel quite as satisfactory to me. The aluminum grips that CZ Custom uses always feels a bit more on the slight side in hand, including those on my Custom Shop Shadow SAO. All those years of holding 2x4s (aka Glocks) will do that, I guess.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have or have had similar guns. "Feel" is kind of subjective. However, the CZ has a more pronounced inward curvature at the top - in fact, similar to that of a SIG "E2" - and a narrower circumference. But unless the CZ compact is a decocking model, the reach (distance) to the trigger, when it is fully forward in double-action mode, is longer.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As advised above, "feel" is all subjective. That being said, the compact CZ-75s feel great, better than most to include the Browning Hi-Power. The standard DA/SA does present a seemingly long DA. But I opted for the PCR with de-cocker. De-cocking puts the PCR into a half-cocked status thereby shortening the DA pull; making a huge difference for me. As great as the PCR feels, I still chose to upgrade the grips with VZ G-10s and magazine pads from CZ Custom for the 14 rd mags. For extra mags, I went with the 16 rounders.

The CZ-75 (full size and compacts) set lower in the hand than classic Sigs and glocks due to the slide running within the frame rails rather than out. This makes for the "svelte" pistol as noted above. Outstanding design although the minimal grasping groves on the slide make racking more challenging than the Sig or Glock. Nothing technique and practice can't remedy.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above. The PCR and P-01 are "small feeling" in the hand and seem made for me. The long reach is perhaps supported by the fact that one of CGW (Cajun Gun Works) most requested kits is the reach reduction kit which moves the trigger 5 mm rearward at full de-cock.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
What really helped the feel on my PCR was putting a model 85 trigger shoe in, feels much better now for me anyway and yes the PCR feels smaller in hand than my M11-A1

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have a P01 and a P228.
The P01 has G10 grips that make it feel like a P225 as far as grip thickness.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've got a few 229's and a 9mm 75 Compact. I carry the CZ stopped carrying the 229. The CZ seems smaller, for me carries easier and shoots just as well as the 229.

"Feel" is very persona. But I like the feel of the CZ's over most of the SIG's. Unless I replaced grips on the P guns with G-10's that are a bit thicker.

Again....all this is very personal.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The M11A1, P228, and P229 are the same size. The CZ Compact is smaller. Not feel smaller but is smaller.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I got out my P229 and CZ75 Compact and took some pictures and measurements. They are remarkably similar in size....more so than I would have imagined. It's the shape of the grip that makes all the difference, IMO, as they do not feel the same in the hand at all.

The P229 is a pre-rail, non-e2 model. The CZ75 is a 75 D model, with a steel frame. Both are wearing the factory plastic grip panels, so it should be an apples-to-apples comparison.

Side by side, you can see that the slide on the Sig is quite a bit more substantial. The grips are also appear wider over the entire width of the grip, while those on the CZ taper more aggressively, and are more of a rounder oval shape, if that makes sense.

At the magwell, it's apparent that the frame on the SIG is wider, but the plastic grip panels on the CZ make up for it

Laid on top of each other, it's amazing how close they are in size. The trigger on the CZ is obviously further forward, but the difference in trigger reach is actually minimal, due to the deeper indent of the backstrap.

I broke out the calipers and my wife's sewing tape measure, and took the following measurements. Once again, I was amazed how close they were. I did my best to measure at the widest point of each gun in all of these areas, but it's not an exact science...you get the idea:

Magwell - Side to Side:
P229 - 1.274"
CZ75 - 1.370"

Magwell - Front to Rear:
P229 - 2.076"
CZ75 - 2.115"

Grip below trigger guard - Front to Rear
P229: 1.974"
CZ75: 1.904"

Trigger Reach
P229: 3.058"
CZ75: 3.100"

Grip Circumference (measured at palm swell)
P229: 5.71"
CZ75: 5.59"

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was exactly the information I was looking for between these two. Thanks!

Posts: 21 | Registered: November 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! 92fstech...thanks so much for that post & pics, much appreciated. Is the muzzle flip on the 75C dramatically less than the 229, or only slightly? (considering one is all steel, vs Aluminum/steel).

I was able to hold a compact today, and yes, very similar.

My buddy at the gun store let me shoot his SP-01 Shadow again, and that damn thing is like a laser! The railed frame has enough weight to it, that it stays in place so easily, and the shots just hit right where you aim, it's so easy to carve out a big hole on the target, sometimes without flyers! Every time I shoot it, I just get more attached to it, so I can't decide if I want to get a compact, or stick with a full size?

Decisions, decisions...

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aljr:
This was exactly the information I was looking for between these two. Thanks!

Not a problem here ... get an SP-01 and a P-01 ... a match made in gun heaven ... or, if you are sure you do not want rails on the compact then substitute a PCR for the P-01. That's what I "tried" to do ... but ended up with all three!

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I was just fondling a CZ75 Compact at the LGS a couple of days ago. It does seem like a well thought out design, and feels very good in the hand.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
IMO, muzzle flip isn't really a problem on either gun. I will say, though, that the CZ-75 is stupid accurate. The P229 is my old duty gun, and I have thousands of rounds through it...all that to say, I'm not bad with it. I picked up my old, beat-up surplus CZ-75 for the first time, and tore the center out of the target. It's incredibly accurate, and has been just as reliable as the Sig.

The trigger is better on the Sig (I have an SRT in mine), the sights are better, and I prefer the manual of arms. The CZ feels a bit better in the hand, and the targets tend to look better at the end of the day.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
You gave me an idea, I have a 229 Legion and a CZ Compact shadow Line. I will bring them both to the range tomorrow. I hate to say it, but I think I will prefer the CZ.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
You gave me an idea, I have a 229 Legion and a CZ Compact shadow Line. I will bring them both to the range tomorrow. I hate to say it, but I think I will prefer the CZ.

I don't doubt you at all. Cool

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:

I'd be willing to put money on it ...