SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    pistol p320 - Take Down Lever
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pistol p320 - Take Down Lever Login/Join 
posted
I have several Sig Sauer pistols, among them the P250 and the P320.
In the P250 i can rotate the "Take Down Lever" with two fingers, and this is fine.

The problem is the P320, i cannot rotate the "Take Down Lever" with two fingers, i need a pair of pliers. Why is this? Can it be fixed? If it cannot be fixed, as much as i like this pistol, i will try to get rid of it.

Posts: 6 | Registered: March 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I trust you’re not trying to rotate the takedown lever with a magazine inserted—?

If no magazine is inserted, the P320 TDL is indeed somewhat difficult to rotate, and although not absolutely necessary, I use a tool that’s specifically designed for the purpose and that makes the job much easier. When not using a tool, I don’t try to rotate it with my fingers, but rather I reach over the top of the slide and press it down with my thumb, as I do with Classic line SIG pistols.

Sometimes pushing the recoil spring guide rod up or down will make it easier as well.

In any event, I don’t believe you’ll make anyone sad if you decide the gun isn’t for you for that reason. One of the reasons I dislike Glocks is that I find them very difficult to field strip even with a special tool, but I don’t expect anyone else to shun them for that reason.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the pistol fairly new? Has it been rotated very often?

Light oil inside?

No magazine, and slide's locked back?

The magazine is the main offender, but after you've cycled it through and used it a bit, it becomes a lot easier. Get the slide off, and work the takedown lever a few times, Each time you work it, lift up on the slide stop lever and see everything click into place. Lightly lube what you see move. Reassemble, try again.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
My four were a bit tight so after I got them out (no pliers needed), I scuffed the shafts lightly with a 3M pad, then a generous amount of lube. No more issues.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Is the gun new? Mine (4/2017 production) was very stiff to turn the first few times, but it loosened up. Now it is just moderately difficult.

Posts: 27839 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even though i have used about 300 rounds still i cannot rotate the take down lever with my fingers.

What shafts are you talkin about?

There is a tool available. But i will design a cheaper one.

With my P250 i do not have that problem.

Posts: 6 | Registered: March 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Round count isn't as important as the number of times you've taken it down. Get it apart, lightly lube the shaft and o-ring, then reinstall and go through the takedown process a few times. It will loosten up fairly quickly.

Definitely make sure the magazine is OUT of the gun before you try to take it down. The P320 has a safety built in to necessitate the removal of the mag prior to taking it down. If you leave the mag in and force the lever with pliers, you'll break your gun.

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Pliers may not be quite the tool for the job anyway. Once the mag is out and the pistol is clear, apply the bottom end of a dowel or one half of a disposable chopstick to the top of the lever, then tap the top end with your mallet of choice. That'll help get you through the initial phase.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luis@figueredo.com:
I have several Sig Sauer pistols, among them the P250 and the P320.
In the P250 i can rotate the "Take Down Lever" with two fingers, and this is fine.

The problem is the P320, i cannot rotate the "Take Down Lever" with two fingers, i need a pair of pliers. Why is this? Can it be fixed? If it cannot be fixed, as much as i like this pistol, i will try to get rid of it.

Yer killin me.
Stop it with the pliers.

Try this...
1) Remove magazine
2) Clear chamber
3) Lock slide back
4) PUSH UP ON EXPOSED END OF GUIDE ROD
5) Rotate TDL to 7:00 (where it stops)
6) Unlock slide and remove

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry but this did not work for me.