SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recoil Reduction Systems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil Reduction Systems Login/Join 
posted
On all my 5" 1911's I use an STI Recoil Master and love it. STI ships it with all their gins so it is not a gimmick.

DPM also has a recoil reduction system for almost all other handguns and I was wondering if anyone has tried them.

For those not familiar it works similar to he double springs you see in a small handgun and also usually makes it easier to rack.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DPM is a Greek company, with zero customer service. I don’t think their system does anything for recoil: multi- spring assemblies divide recoil between springs, but can’t change physics. Newton still rules the day.

The DPM system uses springs that look suspiciously like they came from a European hardware store. When corresponding with the owner (DPM appears to be one guy), he seemed surprised that I’d be interested in buying spare springs, or various weights of springs as spares. He seemed suspicious, too, like perhaps I might be trying to make my own reduced recoil system, or steal his secrets.

I bought a kit from a member here, who had no luck getting any information from DPM. I did get through to the owner, but he’s very tight with his information, and I can’t say given the source and the materials that I have much confidence in the system. I bought it for a P320 compact with the idea of having spring options to tune for a given bullet weight and load, but the DPM system really doesn’t do that. It does over several combinations of springs for something like six possible weights, but gives no indication as to what they might be. The springs, construction and material, do not look to me like they’d hold up for long. The owner seemed surprised that I’d replace the springs with any regularity: he seemed to feel that his product was a lifetime arrangement, the insinuation being that nobody would ever shoot a pistol enough to require new springs. I don’t have confidence that the DPM springs would last long.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCfromNY:
STI ships it with all their gins so it is not a gimmick.

Nor is that an accurate statement. Their guns either. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Recoil reduction devices have been discussed here a good number of times over the years. I think Bruce Gray even provided input.
They are only gimmicks. As said, Physics rules.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
https://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html

Sprinco, of Austin, TX also makes recoil reduction systems for those interested. They also offer replacement springs for these systems.

I have 2 of the DPM systems, used in my Walther PPS 9mm and 40's. And have a DPM system in my Glock 22.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a couple on my 2011s in 40S&W. They do "tame" the snappy .40 (for want of a better word). However, the manufacturer claims that the main recoil spring never needs to be changed. This is nonsense, especially if your gun gets toasty and cooks the spring in intense sessions.

I switched back to normal 12 or 13lb springs and am happy. let the .40 "snap" to it's heart's content.

For 9mm, I wouldn't consider them for a second.

Runnin' and gunnin' (slowly..)

Posts: 98 | Location: Malta | Registered: July 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I once tried to get help with STI customer service. Made the DMV feel like family.

They have a lock on don't give a fuckery.

Bastards.

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post