SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    tell me how much you Love your Ruger 1911 pistol in 10mm please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tell me how much you Love your Ruger 1911 pistol in 10mm please Login/Join 
posted
thanks in advance for those things you like and do not like.

I do not have a 10mm pistol nor do I have a 1911

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in the same boat as you. I needed it for a bear gun while dirt biking but went with a Glock instead. But I think the ruger is your best bet for a 10mm 1911. I spoke to a few people who had one and they had nothing but good things to say and it can handle the full power loads just fine.
You get a lot for your money with the ruger

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Ruger 1911 in 10mm is an awesome gun. Mine has had zero problems with a variety of ammunition. It's sleek and can be carried inane IWB or my presence a shoulder holster. It's accurate and the 10mm has become my woods carry. Finally, the price is very reasonable. I think it's a great gun for the money.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sig Tacops in 10mm. I’ve been very impressed & happy with the results

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
My apology for a slight deviation from your thread. I have the .45 ACP and really like it!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It's probably going to be my next firearms acquisition.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I wish the safety on my 10mm Ruger SR1911 was more “positive”. It is a little squishier than I prefer. My RIA in 10mm has much more “snick” to it. But it is also MUCH heavier than the Ruger, even though it is just parkerized steel and not Stainless.

I also wish it had some type of stippling or checkering on the front of the grip.

I haven’t had it out in a while, but those are the two things I remember off the top of my head.
I still really like the pistol.

Posts: 6303 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is this a concern at all ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2AN5v7AjyI
(supported chamber)

"I also wish it had some type of stippling or checkering on the front of the grip."

I use skate tape on My Ruger P90 .45 ,
works perfect

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
bendable,
Here are a bunch of people (at least four) that have had broken barrel lower lugs.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpB...ic.php?f=43&t=265073

Let's put it in a different point of view.

I HAD a Colt Delta Elite 1911 in 10mm.
I HAVE a SIG P220 Stainless Elite SAO in 10mm. (Lipsey's)

While a full on custom 1911 might have all the stars aligned for proper barrel fitting and timing,
a production 1911 in 10mm usually will not.

My personal opinion is that a 1911 in 10mm is fine with lower power ammunition. (similar to .40 S&W)
But if you want to use 10mm ammunition as it was originally designed, the 1911 platform will not hold up long term.

Save your pennies and buy the SIG.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1532 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Don't have the Ruger, but 10mm 1911s are a favorite. I have four right now.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
But if you want to use 10mm ammunition as it was originally designed, the 1911 platform will not hold up long term.

Save your pennies and buy the SIG.

Not sure what you mean when you say "as it was originally designed". I'd be interested in what sort of load you mean.

Having said that, I think your comment about the 1911 not holding up is an over generalization. I've not "shot the hell" out of my 10mm 1911s, but do use hotter loads without issue.

I also have a P220 10mm Lipsey Special. Love that gun too.

On what are you basing your perspective on the inadequacy of the 1911 platform for 10mm long term?

What happened to your Colt Delta and what vintage was it? I think the first Deltas definitely had issues which were somewhat corrected later, but I don't think it's reasonable to compare those early Deltas to recent quality 1911s in 10mm. No comparison, IMO.

I've had several early Deltas, have a new production Delta now that has been customized. I have three DWes in 10mm along with the SIG P220.

Right now, I routinely shoot the SIG 10mm which is 180 grain @ 1250.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
My comment about ammunition as it was originally loaded is SAAMI 90% or higher.
The SIG ammo or the Federal 180 soft point are good examples.
The basic problem is that the 1911 was designed for .45 ACP pressures and slide velocities. The mass of a slide (in a 5" pistol) is optimized for .45 ACP ammo.

You can add heavier recoil springs but that creates problems with excessive slide velocity when going into battery.

In your other thread, the 1911 pictured, posted by colt_saa, clearly is a long slide variant. I would be curious what that long slide weighs compared to a stock 5 inch model slide.
That was the basis for my comment about "custom" 1911's being more tolerant with hotter 10mm ammo.

My Colt Delta Elite was a second generation gun.
When firing SIG ammo, I found the slide went into battery faster than the magazine spring could raise a cartridge for presentation to the breech face. Occasionally the slide closed on a empty chamber. For serious business, that can't happen.

My SIG P220 in 10mm has been flawless.

And in one of your other 10mm threads, Bruce Gray said the following:
"Howdy!
We’ve had requests to build up 10’s on alloy frames in the past, but I believe this would be unwise and pretty much pointless. I will say the factory P220-10mm family has exceeded my already-high expectations for durability. The engineers did an excellent job getting all the details of lockup, mass and springing right on the money."

"Who knew this would take off as it has? SIG sells more 10mm P220’s than .45’s now."

I am glad that you are happy with your 10mm 1911's. I hope they serve you well.

But for me, what Bruce Gray said about SIG P220 10mm's is good enough for me.

bendable, sorry for the thread drift.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1532 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no need to be sorry , I am glad you took the time to add ,

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
This was posted in another thread here by cee_Kamp.

Barrel lug failure

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
My comment about ammunition as it was originally loaded is SAAMI 90% or higher.
The SIG ammo or the Federal 180 soft point are good examples.
The basic problem is that the 1911 was designed for .45 ACP pressures and slide velocities. The mass of a slide (in a 5" pistol) is optimized for .45 ACP ammo.

You can add heavier recoil springs but that creates problems with excessive slide velocity when going into battery.

In your other thread, the 1911 pictured, posted by colt_saa, clearly is a long slide variant. I would be curious what that long slide weighs compared to a stock 5 inch model slide.
That was the basis for my comment about "custom" 1911's being more tolerant with hotter 10mm ammo.

My Colt Delta Elite was a second generation gun.
When firing SIG ammo, I found the slide went into battery faster than the magazine spring could raise a cartridge for presentation to the breech face. Occasionally the slide closed on a empty chamber. For serious business, that can't happen.

My SIG P220 in 10mm has been flawless.

"Howdy!
We’ve had requests to build up 10’s on alloy frames in the past, but I believe this would be unwise and pretty much pointless. I will say the factory P220-10mm family has exceeded my already-high expectations for durability. The engineers did an excellent job getting all the details of lockup, mass and springing right on the money."

"Who knew this would take off as it has? SIG sells more 10mm P220’s than .45’s now."

I am glad that you are happy with your 10mm 1911's. I hope they serve you well.

But for me, what Bruce Gray said about SIG P220 10mm's is good enough for me.

bendable, sorry for the thread drift.

Thanks for the clarification.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:

The P220 is a great platform for the 10mm, for sure, and I credit Bruce Gray for making it happen "for the rest of us".

I have one P220 10mm, a two tone, DA/SA with fixed night sights and a P220 Legion 10mm in the wings.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
All are good guns mentioned here, but I have to say I am a HUGE Dan Wesson fan! My Bruin is my ALL-TIME favorite!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post