SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New pistol addition Sig P226 Legion SAO or CZ Shadow 2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New pistol addition Sig P226 Legion SAO or CZ Shadow 2 Login/Join 
Picture of Shinobi
posted
So I've been brewing very hard on my next purchase and these are two of the options im considering very hard. I'm not looking for a EDC piece. More of a range gun and a tack driver should shtf. Probably something to get me back into shooting more because to be frank between a busy work and off time schedule shooting has been a very rare deal these days.

Here is my open minded break down thus far and by all means folks chime in and drop your opinion. I have owned quite a few sigs 226,228,229,220. I will say while im often lured in by polymer guns always been a heavy metal kinda guy Cool. I have never owned a CZ but have a very good custom shop a few hours from the house called cajun gun works. I held a shadow 2 in the LGS about 3 months back and while I thought it was a touch heavy th slide pull and operation made it seem like a thing of precision. I have not handled the new P226 in SAO but I have had a 220 in sao. I thought the 220 for a production gun had a very nice break out of the box. So I feel I'm at a toss up.

This is the pros and cons I can see thus far:

Trigger:
Sig- I can say without a doubt the stock unit looks great from the videos and I believe wouldn't need much work if none at all.
CZ- I know the CZ also breaks clean from factory but I have no doubts in my mind it will be going to CGW.

Accuracy:
CZ- I believe the shadow 2 out the box does shoot tighter groups however I know this is more geared as a race gun and the sig a duty gun.
Sig- From what i've seen from many shooters looks to be a 2" gun at 25 yards, both very accurate and with a match bar sto barrel maybe even more so.

Ergos:
Sig- I have always like the grip on a sig always felt natural to my hands. However I will say I shoot a wilson 92g more accurate than any of my sigs.The controls feel st home but did require a little training.
CZ- The grip is different than I'm used to but felt good overall. Controls felt like I could run with the gun after one session.

Weight:
CZ-Truthfully the CZ is on the heavy side, I'd prefer it to be a few ounces less . But I don't feel it would make me suffer in a speed shooting situation.
Sig- The 226 weight feels good and has good mobility. I do wish the sao had the stainless frame but that's my opinion, maybe some of you might agree.

Sights:
Sig- I truly do like the X ray sights probably some of the best sights around IMO.
CZ- More of a target type sight , I can see my self changing them out for non adjustables but I'd at least give the stocks a good go first.

Finish:
Sig- PVD I haven't owned a new sig with pvd. But I have seen a few wearing locally.
CZ- The slide I believe is a nitride but the frame is polycoat. Which I'm not a fan of how poly coat looks personally. So overall finish bias is a wash.

Overall its a tough choice. I've never owned a CZ so I admit I'm curious. But the new 226 SAO looks great as well. I appreciate any input. Forgot to add cost wise I can get the CZ for about $1000 and Sig for $1100.

Regards,

J

Posts: 174 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
I ,like you looked at the heavy frame 226.I have owner several of the 226 elite,sse,all stainless guns.Most had more recoil from slide coming back than the shot being fired.I am sure there was a lighter spring to let the heavy slide come back

I bought a shadow 2 about 3 months ago.
One big issue ,if you go to you tube,the cz team shooter mentions very well,is the radical grip under cut from previous cz guns.I even read one thread where one shooter was worried if he could adapt his grip.

My cz shadow 2 came,and i could feel and see the the top of my hand did not touch the grip.The undercut is that drastic.

When i shot gun,it is by far the softest shooting 9mm i have ever shot.But i could feel the heel of grip pushing my hand ,but could not feel anything on top of my hand.The gun has a soft push,more than any recoil.The shadow 2 is an amazing gun.

For 1000 dollars it would be in my top 3 for a range,nightstand,plinking 9mm.The cz should make you a better shooter,as it did me,just for the extreme control you have when holding gun.The different grip undercut,changes your grip,kind of like a 1911 grip and a luger or ruger mark 11 22 lr grip.Your hand does have more of a angled hold.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The Sig is a service pistol and the CZ is a competition pistol.
Make your choice based on that.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy my Shadow 2. I shoot it as a SAO gun most times. I added a few Cajun parts but nothing major. At least for me, one concern is magazine prices and I can get quality MecGar mags for $25-30 for 17 or 19rds respectively. I shoot it as a Steel Challenge and USPSA Limited Minor gun.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two very different guns, My Sig 226 Legion sao is one heck of a side arm. For the price I doubt you will find a better trigger out of the box, I handled a Shadow 2 but even though trigger is good it doesn't do it for me. As a multi task pistol the Sig will shine but if it a competition ready what you are looking for then the CZ may be what you want, I found some 20 rdn mags for my 226 and all I have to saw is the Legion sao is what i want on duty protecting my family.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the CZ. It's more geared toward target shooting than the 226......both are good choices though.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
I vote CZ. I have more confidence in the build quality.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Sig got the legion SAO right. I will prolly get one after spending time with one. I was going to get a rifle but the pistol is fantastic.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
I am a big Sig fan and I mostly love the older models but I have a P365 that I love. However, I am starting to love me some CZ...

Not only are their guns good shooters, they sure are purty.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’d say the Shadow by a mile.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should definitely try a Legion SAO trigger. Its one of the best triggers I've tried. I think the finish is the only issue Ive heard. I cannot give any feedback on the shadow 2 however.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made that choice a while back but ultimately went with the Legion SAO P226 because I had a hard time manipulating the safeties on the Shadow 2. I love CZ pistols but don’t know, maybe I have short thumbs or something but the shadow’s safeties just didn’t work for me where the Legion’s did. Anyway, the Legion has been fantastic and I’ve never looked back.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those of you who have one (I don't), would the lighter but full size CZ SP-01 Phantom fit the OP's needs? I have heard good things, and they are certainly plentiful.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked hard at a Legion SAO. The only thing I did not like was the slide stop. All Pgun slide stops are small and located wrong for the 1911 hand but the SAO has it screened by the thumb safety itself.

If you don't mind doing the overhand yank to drop the slide, the Sig is a fine pistol.

On the other hand, if you attend a sizeable USPSA match, you will see many more CZs than SIGs. There is a reason.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post