SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Nightstand gun for damaged hands
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nightstand gun for damaged hands Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
So it's the force of the recoil specifically that's the issue? If so something like the Shadow 2 would be a good option, if slide manipulation is not the problem. Some large and heavy 9mm. Some of the all steel SIG models may be something to look at as well. If slide manipulation is (or you think it will soon be) an issue I agree with the others on a revolver. All steel 4" or so...627 certainly checks those boxes.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Ruger GP100. Can be had in many flavors, styles and chambering; .357, 10mm, .44 Special. The 10mm versions will give you moon clip loading like the 625 in a smaller and lighter package.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11103 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
CZ 75B? Or other similar steel-frame, non-decocking model. Alloy-framed ones kick a little, but the heavier steel frame should cancel this out. The slide may be difficult for you to work, but surely you can handle it once to load the chamber. Cocking the hammer first makes this a little easier. Then leave it cocked with the safety on.

Posts: 23829 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Arthritis in the Radial Head in both wrists and the first two joints in both thumbs. As a result aiming my 6 1/2 inch S&W 610 is painful to aim but a 4 inch 625 is no problem at all.

As for manipulating slides, I can work the slide on my Ruger LC9S Pro but and cannot clear the chamber by ejecting the round out the ejection port, I have to drag the slide back and let the round fall out of the grip. On my 45 ACP 1911's I am at my limit for working the slide, if the pull were any harder I would need to use a table edge.

However my 9mm Ruger SR1911 is a total dream to shoot. The slide is so easy to move I and actually use a thumb and finger pinch and I can actually lock the slide back without resorting to a convenient table edge. Recoil is also nearly 22 rimfire mild in comparison to the 45 ACP. Note, mine is the Lightweight Commander so it carries easily. I'll also note that I haven't a clue about what Ruger used to coat the frame but with about 2000 rounds downrange there is not one single visible wear mark anywhere on the frame.

I'll also recommend the CZ 75-B. Don't have one but have shot a friends 75 and it's a splendid pistol with a great trigger. If they weren't so hard to find I'd have one.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 4586 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post