SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Nightstand gun for damaged hands
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nightstand gun for damaged hands Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
I now seem to have nerve issues, which can make many semi autos difficult to tolerate.

I shoot my friends 686, loaded with Federal wadcutters, very well.

I am considering getting a 627. I have some 625s, if I can handle the weight of them, I might get the 627.

I am also thinking about a CZ Shadow 2.

On good days, my 38 super minor 2011s are fine - and my Witness felt very soft with those loads...

Polymer is a bad idea. Even an FN 57 was awful. Something about the vibration, or something.

Any thoughts on how the recoil between the 2 compares? I suppose it doesn’t really matter. I can still shoot long guns, fine.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try a 1911. 45 recoil is a gentle push, rather than a snap.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
What doesn’t work? Recoil, trigger pull, slide racking/charging the pistol etc.?

Lots of different options depending on the specific problems.

From what you have said a 627 with 8 rounds of .38 defensive ammo might work.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps something like the
S&W .380 Ez
There are vids on you tube.

And more than a few articles
On the www

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have some 625s

Problem solved. The 625 is not significantly heavier than the 686 (Bigger frame but bigger holes.) and midrange target loads don't kick much.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
You have trouble racking a semiauto slide but want a CZ? That makes no sense as racking a CZ is difficult compared to most autos given the slide rides inside the rails. If you’re dead set on a 9mm semi then the HK VP9 with its slide tabs might be an option, although the frame is polymer. Dropping down to the 380 ACP, there’s the Beretta 86 with its tip-up barrel arrangement. Otherwise, stick with a revolver.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
quote:
I have some 625s

Problem solved. The 625 is not significantly heavier than the 686 (Bigger frame but bigger holes.) and midrange target loads don't kick much.

I agree. A 625 on the nightstand with a few extra loaded up moonclips nearby is not a bad way to go.

A suitably loaded 45acp is great for home defense.

I think of the 45acp cartridge as being forgiving. No need to push it to really high velocities to make it effective.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Beretta PX4 Storm full size. Due to the rotating barrel it is a very soft recoil pulse. Very soft. I'd load non +p rounds or regular 124gr, or even 115gr. 17+1 but Beretta makes factory 20rd magazines. Perfect for a night stand pistol. Trijicon HD's available, and a good OEM trigger. Also relatively inexpensive. Can be had for $399.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have some 625s

Is this .45 Auto? Load it with some kind of target load for lighter recoil. Being a revolver, you don't have to worry about light loads or funky bullet shapes not cycling. This assumes your hand/finger strength issues don't affect your ability to pull the double-action trigger. I know the S&W Shield EZ models (.380 or 9mm Luger) are polymer frames, but they would seem to be tailor-made for your problem.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The entire Beretta 92 series is pretty soft shooting. My house gun is an M9A1. Add in the weight of a mounted light and recoil’s minimal. Standard velocity Gold Dot makes for a very soft shooter and would be fine for in-house distances. You can manually cock the hammer before trying to work the slide, which might help a bit.

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can still shoot long guns, fine.

Then why not get an AR for your nightstand gun?
(I'm assuming you don't have little kids running around...Wink )

If my kids were grown, my Daniel Defense or SCAR-L would sit beside the bed and not a pistol.

You get less recoil, greater capacity and lethality, red dot, white light, etc. etc. etc.

If you set on pistols, I'd recommend a 92 series Beretta of some flavor. Loaded with 147gr bullets, it has a gentle recoil pulse with little to no muzzle rise.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
First of all Aglifter, sorry you're going through nerve issues and that's it impacting your sport. My sympathies -- that sucks.

Not sure your budget but something like a nicely tuned double action 4" to 6" revolver might be up your alley. I find the DA on I-frame Colts can be very nice. Some the new custom and semi-custom Rugers are excellent. And Smiths can be tuned for amazing triggers. All three options would probably work for you. Caliber wise I like .38 Special or the +P variety. I've recommended a GP100 Match Champion to many shooters, and my personal choice for a revolver is a blued GP100 6" with an RMR.

I find nerve issues are also exacerbated by slippery grips. Materials like G10 with those really aggressive cuts are fantastic for being able to have a solid grasp without having to apply a lot of pressure. Hogue and VZ I know both make one for just about every revolver and in almost every color imaginable. I'm sure they'll do that bright pink you always wanted -- just kidding Big Grin

For semi-autos, anything big, steel, and in 9mm. 1911s, P210s, old S&W 3rd gens, even the new Walther steel framed PPQ Match may work well. I also love extended controls for my nightstand guns. If you're not going to carry it, make it easy to shoot and don't make it a fair fight.

However I like the idea of an AR or even one of the new "shockwave" style shotguns with a pistol brace. My bedside gun is a Glock 34 with an X300 and an RMR, but right next to it is a 14.5" AR with an MRO. Drop in one of those 4 lbs. triggers and extended controls and you'll have a well protected nightstand. In a similar vein, any of the new pistol caliber carbines would also work well -- the Scorpions, CMMGs, and MP5 clones of the world. Many can be had for around $1000 with an optic and they are, without a doubt, the most accurate 9mm firearms I've ever shot. If I could shoot out of a pistol as well as I can out of a Scorpion, I'd give a few USPSA Grand Masters a run for their money. Ok, maybe not, but I'd at least be a local hero at the GSSF match.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger GP100 might be worth a look

could shoot anything from 38 wadcutters all the way up to Buffalo Bore magnum flame scorchers

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve noticed that I can still “lock down” on guns with sharp grips.

I can still shoot my 1911, a bit. I’m going to go for more work, and maybe it’s... (It’s not. I know it’s going to be something stemming from my spinal damage, but it might be able to be improved, somewhat)

That S&W 380 EZ felt like someone was driving red hot spikes into my arm. I bought a browning 1911-380 - which really isn’t too bad, but my hands are too large for it.

I’ll try my 625s this weekend, with some 200 gr D&L bullets. And I’ll shoot them along with my friend’s 686, with Federal Gold Medal wadcutters.

If the 686 works, can’t see a reason not to get a 627...

I think y’all are right about not trusting a semi. I haven’t had problems working a slide yet, unless they’re very slick/heavily sprung, but it’s for the best...

(Apparently years of busted hands, and tying iron bars in knots, etc wasn’t the best idea... or breaking my neck in a few places

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Can’t figure out why emojis cut off a post, but there were laughing faces at the end of that post

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Caneau, for years I always competed in bright Barney purple underwear...

I used to drive a coral pink 968 - actually a cool color, and great car.

I have no problem with a pink gun, other than my niece would probably steal it from me.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Supposed to be a laughing emoji at the end of that one, too.

Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
What about a revolver in .32
you can range shoot .32 shorts all day with no recoil
then load up .32HR Magnum for bed duty, it profiles rather close to 9mm defensive rounds but you wont have the same bullet selections.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5130 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I now seem to have nerve issues, which can make many semi autos difficult to tolerate.

I am considering getting a 627. I have some 625s, if I can handle the weight of them, I might get the 627.

I am also thinking about a CZ Shadow 2.

On good days, my 38 super minor 2011s are fine - and my Witness felt very soft with those loads...

Polymer is a bad idea. Even an FN 57 was awful. Something about the vibration, or something.

Any thoughts on how the recoil between the 2 compares? I suppose it doesn’t really matter. I can still shoot long guns, fine.
While I think the 627 is a great idea, if we want to get you power in a soft shooting firearm then the choice must be a pistol that uses a rotating barrel

You will be amazed at how much of the recoil gets translated into the energy used for rotating the barrel Rotating barrel handguns are the softest shooting semi-autos in their caliber

If you lived closer to me I would drive up to let you shoot some.

Rotating barrel handguns include the 9MM Colt All American (aka Colt 2000), 40S&W or 45ACP Mauser M2, 9MM or 45ACP Boberg, 9MM Bond Arms Bul-Pup, 9MM or 45ACP Beretta/Stoger Cougar 8000, 9MM or 40 S&W Beretta PX4 Storm.

There may be others, but they escape my mind at the moment

My Mauser M2 that was converted to the 10MM Auto cartridge shoots softer than most all 40S&Ws

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:

A S&W 69 loaded with 44 specials might work. That's my current bedside gun.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post