SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you wear shooting gloves, what brand and model do you like?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you wear shooting gloves, what brand and model do you like? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
PIG gloves, also. I wait for them to go on sale.

Posts: 196 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do see the attraction of the PIG gloves and the full dexterity they offer and probably would have kept the pair I ordered if they had been the correct size. As for the Direct Action gloves I got, I am completely satisfied with the dexterity I can maintain while wearing them. As an example, I needed to adjust the windage and elevation settings on my Aimpoint Micro H2 yesterday. With gloves on, I was able to remove the screw on covers over the sight adjustment dials and fit the little knobs on top of one of the caps into the recesses on the sight adjustment dials, make the adjustments and replace the caps. Given the small size of the parts involved, that's a delicate operation to perform with bare fingers.

I have continued to look at gloves online and can see there are quite a few decent possibilities. It is a bit challenging making a decision when you can't see the gloves and try them on in real time. For now I'm happy with what I have. Time will tell how they hold up.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Another fan of PIG gloves for their thinness and flexibility. I did, however, have a seam come apart on my left index finger from many drills operating an AR charging handle. I sewed it back up and covered it with Shoe Goo and it’s held up since, but thinness, flexibility, and durability have thus far to me been a “pick one or two” thing.

I am a little surprised by the popularity of Mechanix gloves for shooting. Perhaps mine aren’t the right kind (mine are MultiCam and appear to be in the “tactical” line), but they are much too thick and heavy for my taste.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I hate shooting in gloves, hate it. I took a rifle class in January with some 5.11s I bought. I ended up stripping them off and just grabbing my barrel when my hands got cold. Big Grin

That being said the Pigs are the only ones I can tolerate. I lose no dexterity and can pick the proverbial dime up off the floor. They probably do wear out a little quicker than a comparable Mechanix glove or something but I’m willing to pay that price for the dexterity. Buy on sale and stack them two or three deep.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Argee
posted Hide Post
I've found Gorilla Gloves make a nice shooting glove. Buy a size smaller than the regular size for a snug fit...they'll stretch to fit your hand. Allows for a good sense of touch and feel.

Posts: 13 | Location: Probably Out Back At The Shooting Range | Registered: May 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the mechanix cold weather gloves and love them for the lower temps. I should try some for warmer weather but I wont realistically have gloves for most of the warm times. Might toss some in my active shooter kit I guess.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done a some more shooting the past several days. I do appreciate the gloves when I'm shooting the 1911, G41 and G40. I'm not so sure I like wearing them with the G19 and G26. I loaded some 9mm magazines while wearing the gloves and experienced no inhibition of dexterity. The fine motor control these gloves allow continues to impress me. I 'll have to compare shooting the 9mm Glocks with and without the gloves next time. It was the somewhat bothersome friction between my hands, fingers and pistols while shooting the 1911, G40 and G41 that motivated my interest in gloves.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Calaway. Nice soft but grippy leather that breaths. BTW, I get a Right and Left Handed golf glove to make a set. One of these I plan on sending Calaway a note telling them how much I like their Shooting Gloves. Just wish I could have found them in black, the white ones I have and starting to get black on the palms from catching shotgun hulls.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I like the MCR Ninja Lite gloves. They're cheap and work great for shooting. I only wear them in winter, which for us is pretty mild.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Trideer open finger weight lifting gloves from Amazon.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I like Calaway. Nice soft but grippy leather that breaths. BTW, I get a Right and Left Handed golf glove to make a set. One of these I plan on sending Calaway a note telling them how much I like their Shooting Gloves. Just wish I could have found them in black, the white ones I have and starting to get black on the palms from catching shotgun hulls.

Exactly my thought with regard to the Callaways. I wish they made them in black as well. There are a couple of brands that sell black gloves, but you can't get them (the black ones) for the right hand, unfortunately.

I have an old pair of FootJoy winter gloves in black, from back when they were still making them out of leather. They're fantastic gloves, but I don't want to wear them too much, for fear of wearing them out, since you can't get them anymore. The new ones are made out of all synthetic materials, and I don't like them nearly as much.

Frank

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pinefd,

Posts: 42 | Location: MA | Registered: July 04, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P.I.G. Gloves are my favorite. Mechanix are not very durable, Magpul gloves are ok but not great, but the P.I.G.’s have been excellent. I particularly like that they work well with the touchscreen based target system in my local range.

Posts: 49 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found myself wishing I didn't have to remove a glove to use the touch screen feature of my phone. It has only happened on a couple of occasions. If it becomes an issue more often, I'll have to consider gloves which offer that capability.

Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
SKD PIG gloves. Been wearing them for shooting and hunting since they first came out many years ago. Mechanix are good but for dexterity and trigger feel the PIG gloves are superior. I have XL sized hands and the XL PIG gloves fit me perfectly. I usually grab them when they go on sale for around $45.

PIG Full Dexterity Tactical (FDT) Alpha Gloves - Full Finger Protection for Shooting Sports https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K..._api_i_lPFTEbBZYZ0Z0

Carbine/rifle guys have been discussing (and debating) the "best" glove for shooting. It basically comes down to this:

You can have superior dexterity/fit/feel

or

You can go with superior durability

You cannot have both.

Having said that, there are options. Personally, I have owned/used the following for about the last 16 years or so:

baseball batting gloves
Oakley Assault gloves
SKD PiG gloves
Petzl Cordex gloves

I currently use and endorse the SKD PiG glove. Superior fit and dexterity that, IMHO, is second to none. The trade-off, however, is that this comes at the expense of durability. I am ok with that and what usually happens is the trigger finger usual develops a hole. I just cut off the tip and stitch it up and drive on. Doing that, I have used the same pair for years.

The Oakleys (with the hard knuckle protection) were ok. Better hand protection, somewhat better durability, but, fit, feel, and dexterity were not on par with the PiG gloves. If I were back in the infantry, I would probably give these another look.

Batting gloves are close to the PiG gloves, but they dont fit me as well. THe advantages of the batting glove are two fold:

1) Cheap
2) sold singly...if you mess one up, you need not buy a whole new pair.

Petzl Cordex gloves are not bad for feel and fit, but, their dexterity is no where near the PiG or batting gloves. However, they are tough and now I use them exclusively as my heavy duty work gloves.

Bottom line...if you are the occasional shooter, buy some batting/golf gloves or the Mechanix gloves and be done with it. If you shoot a lot, get the PiG gloves and just recognize that they are not bomb proof.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Argee
posted Hide Post
I use Gorilla gloves. I buy them a size smaller as they'll stretch nicely. Make a snug fitting, thin glove perfect for shooting.

Posts: 13 | Location: Probably Out Back At The Shooting Range | Registered: May 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i have been wearing these Oakley gloves for a couple of years. kept destroying Mechanix gloves. these have held up even though they feel rather flimsy in hand. not gonna complain.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post