SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Browning BDA 45 value?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BDA 45 value? Login/Join 
posted
Ran across a nice Browning Dba in .45ACP. Just the gun and one magazine. Gun was made in 1977 so it's an early one.

Can anyone give me an idea of it's worth?

Sigs, Glocks and a couple others

Posts: 202 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With out being able to see it. I'd say $350.00

Posts: 827 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are asking $575 so I guess it's over priced.

Posts: 202 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimbo883:

He based his assessment on not being able to see anything. You, apparently, already saw at least pics of it. And, you don't even give at least some description of its condition. So, how is anyone going to be help you with value? Could be $350. Could be $575. Wink

Q

Posts: 26343 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
To me, it would be worth at least as much as a .45acp folded slide Sig P220 in similar condition.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by jimbo883:

He based his assessment on not being able to see anything. You, apparently, already saw at least pics of it. And, you don't even give at least some description of its condition. So, how is anyone going to be help you with value? Could be $350. Could be $575. Wink

apparently "nice condition" isn't descriptive enough. The gun is in nice condition no noticeable holster wear. Couldn't see the slide or barrel to get any indication of usage. I was really just looking for average values for a nice 1977 Browning Dba in 45acp caliber

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have sold 3 in the past couple of years,

avg was 675ish, 95+ with box

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found a couple recently that I bought if it helps. Nib with everything I paid $600 willingly. A used one with beat up but matching box, 2 mags some honest wear $500. But I didn't feel that was a deal but my dealer had saved it for me so I paid it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I have sold 3 in the past couple of years,

avg was 675ish, 95+ with box

Thanks that's the kind of info I'm looking for

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I've found a couple recently that I bought if it helps. Nib with everything I paid $600 willingly. A used one with beat up but matching box, 2 mags some honest wear $500. But I didn't feel that was a deal but my dealer had saved it for me so I paid it.

As I stated this is the kind of info I need thanks

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hi Jimbo,
Because your considering to buy this pistol, I want to let you know about a safety issue with early P220s.

Always, always, always use the decocker because if you thumb down the hammer no safety is in place to stop the hammer from impacting the firing pin to discharge the pistol.

Sig changed the design of the P220s at some point but I don't remember when. There is a simple test...

With a confirmed unloaded P220, rack the slide and with the pistol pointed in a safe direction pull the trigger while thumbing down the hammer. Keep the trigger pulled all the way to the rear ~ until the hammer is in the down position then gently push the hammer forward to see how far it goes to impact the firing pin. This is the normal firing sequence of your pistol.

Release the hammer and rack the slide again then use the decocker lever to return the hammer to the ready position. The hammer will rest in a notch and will not move forward when you apply pressure with your thumb to the hammer.

Rack the slide for a third time and using the trigger and thumb, return the hammer to its resting position. After you release the trigger, gently use your thumb to push the hammer forward. If the hammer moves forward, it will impact the firing pin confirming you have one of the early P220s.

This unsafe configuration was determined to be the cause of an accidental discharge in 2002 when a San Fernando, CA SWAT officer dropped his P220 and was shot in the head in the station's parking lot. www.CATOnews.org/we-remember-and-honor-our-fallen-heroes/officer-jesse-paderez/

Decocking the hammer is a hard and fast rule with all of my Sigs. Back in the 1970s and 80's, there were no decocking levers until Sig came along. Up until that point in time, thumbing down the hammer was the norm and for many it was a hard habit to break as was learning to rely on a new technology called a decocker.

Anyone with an BDA or an early P220 should perform this test to ensure they are aware of how their specific pistol functions.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post