SIGforum
Do thread protectors “walk”?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1830002844

October 11, 2018, 12:42 PM
cslinger
Do thread protectors “walk”?
So although I have shot a fair number of suppressed stuff I have never owned any and I have never owned a pistol with a threaded barrel.

So my question is on a threaded barrel with a thread protector does it stay put or do they have a tendency to unscrew themselves with use/recoil?

As always,
Thank you.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
October 11, 2018, 12:54 PM
deadmanmike
Depends on the thread pitch, but yes, they can walk. Most people will use a dab of grease to keep the thread protector from unthreading.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer
October 11, 2018, 01:25 PM
Oat_Action_Man
The thread protector on my 220 .22lr conversion kit walks by the end of every range session. I don't crank the bejesus out of it, but it's always loose after a box or two of .22.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.
October 11, 2018, 03:02 PM
stormin
quote:
Originally posted by deadmanmike:
Depends on the thread pitch, but yes, they can walk. Most people will use a dab of grease to keep the thread protector from unthreading.

I just bought a pack of high temperature O-rings at Home Depot for $5. Put the ring at the back of the threads and tighten the protector a bit to keep it all in place.

Works great!
October 11, 2018, 04:46 PM
RHINOWSO
Unless doing a drills, I check thread protectors in between magazines.

And if I have regular unthreaded barrels and am not going to shoot suppressed, I use those instead.
October 11, 2018, 05:46 PM
DaBigBR
Mine loosen slightly, but I have never had one actually walk off. Maybe I'm checking them often enough to prevent that.
October 11, 2018, 07:27 PM
hrcjon
mine always loosen doesn't seem to matter what they are on. I just use the oring trick.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
October 11, 2018, 10:04 PM
SigM4
Yes they do; I also use o-rings to keep them in place.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
October 11, 2018, 10:51 PM
cslinger
Thanks all.

Any specific O Ring recommendation, in terms of type/materials? I have an HK45C but I never really thought about the material/heat rating. One could get a barrel mighty warm in a day of shooting.

October 12, 2018, 12:08 AM
kkina
Viton.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
October 12, 2018, 06:43 AM
Oz_Shadow
Maybe Vibra Tite VC-3?
October 12, 2018, 09:36 AM
soggy_spinout
You can get the Viton o-rings at Harbor Freight. $10 for an assortment of sizes; 180 pieces in total. Supposed to be rated to 400°F.
October 12, 2018, 11:28 AM
trebor44
quote:
Originally posted by stormin:
quote:
Originally posted by deadmanmike:

I just bought a pack of high temperature O-rings at Home Depot for $5. Put the ring at the back of the threads and tighten the protector a bit to keep it all in place.

Works great!

This solves the issue.... works like a charm for any removable muzzle device on a pistol and on most rifles.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!
October 12, 2018, 11:50 AM
Brett B
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Maybe Vibra Tite VC-3?

I use Vibra Tite for both my pistol suppressors and thread protectors and it works perfectly.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/
October 12, 2018, 05:01 PM
PGT
+1 for Vibra-Tite. Just use in moderation....a little goes a long way
October 12, 2018, 07:42 PM
Mike748
I have found that loose thread protectors affect accuracy. I use o-rings to prevent.
October 12, 2018, 08:31 PM
cslinger
Once again all THANK YOU. I just bought my first potential suppressor host, TOTALLY FOR MY DAUGHTER AND HER FUTURE SHOOTING HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH IWANNANEWGUNITIS. Thats my story.....

Anyway thanks much for the ideas. Hope to get her out tomorrow for the first time. Will see what it does without anything. Will likely only be 50 rounds or so.