SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P229 stainless Elite FTE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P229 stainless Elite FTE Login/Join 
Picture of Sagacious
posted
I am an owner of a P229 Stainless Elite 9mm manufactured in 2014. I have 5 other Sigs I've been shooting for 20 years. Those 5 are totally reliable. The 229 has been back to the factory twice and they have replaced the extractor spring and opened the chamber. There is nothing else they were willing to do. Sig says when they use the specific brand of ammunition they always use they find no problem. I find FTE problems with reputable name brands and commercial reloads.

Prior to contacting them the first time I did a little investigating myself. I noticed a small ding in the front of the extractor ring of several shells that failed to extract. Upon further examination I found the same ding on all the empty cases. I then marked several cases so I then individually hand chambered. That allowed me to see that the ding was being made at the same location as the extractor. My next step was to remove the barrel and see how the case fit against the breech face. It was my observation that the extractor prevented the shell from fitting flat on the breech face. I never could figure out how to measure or see if the case was flat on the breech face when the pistol was in battery. I did note that a when a shell was loaded into battery then ejected without being fired there was a minute mark, possibly from the ejector.

My conclusion is that the extractor is either to long or the front of the extractor "hook" is the wrong shape.

I believe that when in battery the base of the case is being held off of the face of the breech because the extractor is in contact with forward face of the case's extractor groove. When the pistol is fired the case is driven back against the extractor making a ding in the case while starting the extractor's pivot toward outer edge of the rim of the case. At this point, the extractor barely catches the rim of the case sometimes causing a failure to eject.

Posts: 8 | Registered: February 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Did Sig replace the extractor? Or have you tried replacing it? Could be an out of spec part.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your extractor sounds like it is not engaging the rim sufficiently and it is skipping past as the barrel lowers during unlocking.

That is the little ding you see on the rim.

In my 250, it was most noticeable when using ball ammo, as the extracting case would hit the top round in the mag and bounce up causing the extractor to disengage and go around the rim, leaving the little ding.

More engagement took care of it.

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------

Posts: 152 | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sagacious
posted Hide Post
I believe the extractor was replaced by Sig.

Picture of Sagacious
posted Hide Post
exfed2001 I believe you are correct myne t step will be to replace the extractor myself. If that doesn't work I'll reshape the foward edge of rhe extractor by about .003 in. and try it again.

posted Hide Post
Been down this road with my P226SE. Replaced the extractor with one from Grayguns. It is a slightly different shape than Sigs, which might even be MIM or an alloy because the Grayguns extractor was heavier. No more problems.

Posts: 25 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post