Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

229 vs 229-1 Login/Join 
Picture of tarheelbball
posted
Is there a difference in the frame where a 229 rx caliber exchange kit will not work?

Posts: 514 | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FotoTomas
posted Hide Post
There are some differences in parts depending on manufacture location. I had a caliber exchange kit that would not fit on a German 229 but would fit a US 229. Swap out the locking block from the US gun to the German frame and no issues. Interestingly either frame ran fine with the original slide and barrel no matter which frame had either block.

Keep your weapon handy, live free and prosper.

Posts: 814 | Location: Orlando and Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: April 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
P229 = P228 small frame.
P229-1 = .40, .357SIG large frame.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tarheelbball
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks. I have the 229 Classic carry in 9mm. It looks like the Rx slide comes with a 229-1 mag.

Posts: 514 | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tarheelbball:
Ok, thanks. I have the 229 Classic carry in 9mm. It looks like the Rx slide comes with a 229-1 mag.

Yeah, that won't work.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the reverse issue. My conversion kit came with a 229 magazine and it rattles a bit in my 229-1 frame.

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
P229 = P228 small frame.
P229-1 = .40, .357SIG large frame.

Technically, I believe P229-1 only refers to the 9mm P229 frame based on .40/.357 P229 frame with wider magazine well

There are no P229-1 .40 or .357 mags or barrels, only 9mm.

P229 refers to the .40/.357 frame, but also the old 9mm frame based on the P228.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread is confusing to me. The frame of a 9mm 229 is in two sizes depending on the exact date of mfg. The exchange kit doesn't give a hoot about that. I have swapped slides between frames of original and 229-1 frames a zillion times. Mags are a slightly different issue. 229 original mags fit both frames but when installed in the wider frame works most of the time, but not all the time so I don't recommend it. 229-1 mags don't work in original frames. I have heard of locking block issues on this, but I've done this and not had them.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
There are times that I think SIG NH would have been better served to have given a whole new model number to the P229-1 and NOT concerned themselves with bothering to make the new one partially compatible with the original 9mm P229. If there was any compatibility it would have been merely happenstance and not be a point of extreme confusion for those of us who are bad at following flow charts, family trees and similar confounding gibberish.

This thread is one of those times. Trying to keep straight what kit (and parts as well) goes with which frame (unless it's a Wednesday, when the reverse is true...at least up until 5 minutes after it stops raining but only if the ambient temperature is below 45ºF and above absolute zero) is rather maddening.

At least I think so.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I called the SIG Store last week when I saw they had the 229 RX Exchange kit back in stock and asked them the same question. I was told it will not fit the older 229; HOWEVER, he said you could send your gun in to them and they would fit the exchange kit to the gun for NO CHARGE. He mentioned the locking block has to be changed.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I have heard of locking block issues on this, but I've done this and not had them.

That is interesting because it is my understanding that the old 9mm frame has a P228 locking insert while the P229-1 has the "universal" block that is basically the old .40/.357 one, and they are different. That is why the P229-1 barrel is different from the old 9mm P229/P228 barrel and not interchangeable.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post