SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are primers harder in steel case ammo?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are primers harder in steel case ammo? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I shot some steel through my RM380 and most of the steel ammo had to have a second strike. All of the brass ammo fired first time with no issues. Just curious.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
In certain brands... a definite Yes ! Some have been known in certain firearms to take 2-3 strikes to ignite. Wolf for the most part, shouldn't give you too many issues.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
In certain brands... a definite Yes ! Some have been known in certain firearms to take 2-3 strikes to ignite. Wolf for the most part, shouldn't give you too many issues.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tula small pistol primers seem average (never had a bad one in 5k+ rounds. However, I have a case of Tula 45ACP that has had hard primers fail to ignite in three different guns.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are primers harder in steel case ammo?

There is some small-sample, anecdotal evidence for "it depends." I shot some Wolf .45 in the early 2000s that wouldn't go off, and the firing pin strike was shallow. (The gun was a Glock 30.) It didn't have any trouble with other brands. I don't believe the case material has anything to do with the hardness of the primers, however. They were just hard primers, period.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I don't believe the case material has anything to do with the hardness of the primers, however. They were just hard primers, period.

This.

Some ammo has hard primers. Some ammo has steel cases.

Therefore some steel cased ammo has hard primers.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Some primers are harder than others. It is not related to the material in the cases.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you, everyone.

posted Hide Post
Russian and former-commie-bloc ammo tends to have hard primers (and steel cases). It doesn't seem to bother the commie guns designed to shoot it.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I had more Tula to shoot. I also had more Remington UMC. I had to hit a few of the Tula twice. All the brass UMC was fine.

Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I have a P220 that shoots wonderfully with Monarch steel case ammo. No ignition problems.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post