SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Steyr handguns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr handguns Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve written off steyr based on dealings with the new management.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I have a S9A1 and I love it. In my humble opinion, it has the best striker fired trigger out there. The sights are funky, but I shoot them well. For me, it's a very accurate gun. It fits well in my P320C holster, and I'm told that Sig P320 sights fit perfectly in the Steyr dovetails. (But I haven't tried it yet).

My only complaint is that Steyr doesn't offer the trapezoidal sights in tritium.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAR:
The L9A2 MF is mechanically, very similar to the L9A1. The quality is typical top notch Steyr.

The feel it quite a bit different, the grip of the A2 MF reminds me more of a Browning High Power or CZ-75 in shape. I could see some users preferring the A1 and others preferring the A2.

I am still trying to decide which I like better, the A2 grip feels a bit smaller in the hand and is highly textured, the A1 is very rounded, curvy and hand filling, voluptuous feeling like Marilyn Monroe I would say, where the A2 is slim, hard and sleek, more like Kate Moss.

That sounds great. I will continue my search for one. My local Base Exchange sells Steyr pistols, so hopefully they get some of the MFs in soon.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The quality is fine a little below Glock IMO not as reliable. I have owned a couple a 9 and 40. The sights are weird but become useable. I understand that now you can get them with big dot sights. The major downsides are 10 round magazines and no resale value.

Posts: 13 | Registered: July 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Groundhog666:
The quality is fine a little below Glock IMO not as reliable. I have owned a couple a 9 and 40. The sights are weird but become useable. I understand that now you can get them with big dot sights. The major downsides are 10 round magazines and no resale value.

You need to be a little more specific about which model you’re talking about. The S9/S40 are 10 round mags but they are also sub compact hand guns that are about the size of a Glock 26 which holds that many as well. You can just get your whole hand on the grip.
The M9 is more comparable to a G19. The L9 is the same grip height but longer barrel. Like a g19 with G17 slide.

As far as quality goes The Steyr is every bit just as nice and built as any HK I’ve owned or handled. It’s a solid pistol. And you can’t beat that trigger out of the box. Even my after market Glock triggers don’t come close

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Groundhog666:

Malarkey. Steyr’s chief designer was head engineer at Glock, who wanted to make positive changes that Gaston didn’t feel necessary. The result in my opinion is a superior pistol, one that has never malfunctioned on me after 10K plus rounds. No resale value - don’t make me laugh. I sold one via the SF Classifieds a year ago for the same $ I paid for it.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think I recall reading something about that. If Gaston had signed off on it, the Steyr would have been the next generation Glock.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I handled the compact at the LGS. Ergo and grip was great, trigger pull was very nice, but reset was crap. What’s up with the reset on these? Anybody doing upgrades?

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trapezoidal sights didn't bug me; actually liked them when I first tried one in M9/M9 A1 form (admittedly I don't remember which it was). Nowadays I DO question whether my eyes and their weakening ability to quickly focus onto rear sights would be able to use such a sighting system, but at the time I thought that it was a pretty effective method.

The key thing I didn't like about the M9 was the strong hand ergonomics; I'm probably one of only a handful of people who feel this way since the vast majority seem to laud how good the gun fits their own mitt. For me the deep 'cut' under the tang didn't suit my small hand very well. It gave me the sensation of a holding onto a 'lump', something akin to how some complain about the 'Glock hump' with certain generations of Glock grip backstrap designs. In live fire it felt weird, like I was grabbing onto an infected tumor or some such, the only sensation lacking was a bit of squishiness to complete the effect.

A few years before that range session I passed on a M9 version that Cabelas had discontinued for exactly that same sensation. There had been times that I had questioned myself about passing on that gun at $350ish NIB, but that later range visit a couple or so years later only reinforced the ultimate correctness of my decision.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steyr GB

When they first came into the country their headquarters was located in my NJ town. During a quiet day on patrol in that area I'd stop in. Frie3ndly group who would gladly give me a tour of the armory.

They would sell to use at employee pricing. Only one guy brought a GB.

They did give us a very nice SSG that sat almost unfired for decades. Not long ago it was finally traded in for patrol rifles.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had several Steyr M9's. They have the lowest bore axis and lowest recoil flip of any commonly available 9x19. The triggers go from good to very good. High Cap mags are reasonably easily available. The triangle sites are easily replaced if they aren't for you. I hate them. Much prefer 3 dot nite sites. I had one buddy that bought 4 of the original model because they shot great and he loved the original push up safety on the trigger. The newer models have better reset and trigger pull but I kinda liked the extra safety too.

I would suggest you rent one shoot it a good bit and if in any way possible and do some rapid fire drills. Recoil recovery is exceptional with the Steyr's.

In the end they might not be the Chevy for everyone but they are comparitively inexpensive high quality, highly accurate, easy to shoot pistols. Before you decide shoot one for yourself. You might like one more than you think, even if you hate the sights! ;-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friend had an M9 in .40. Loved the feel of the gun, and the unique sights. As 40s go, I've never warmed up to them, but his was controllable. I just got the chance to check out the new L2 at the LGS, and I'm most impressed with the changes wrought to the frame. Much more grippy, LOL.

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post