SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Steyr handguns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr handguns Login/Join 
posted
Steyr is one of those brands that seems to be "under the radar" for most folks. Their new(ish) A2MF version has finally arrived on the US market (the previous "A1" variant looks to be out of production).

One "love it or hate it" feature of Steyr is their trapezoidal sights. I checked one out at a gunstore once, and this type of sight seems to be one that you need to adjust to. Anyone with any experience?

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The sights are intuitive enough & you’ll adjust to them with practice. I’d be sure that you could get a holster you like enough if you’re gonna carry it.

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Some people just don't like them. A lot of people who've tried them love them. IMHO the dirty little secret is what it's always been - focus on the front sight and it's alignment with the top of the rear sight; don't overthink aligning it with a trapezoidal rather than square notch.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I have the A1 version and like it a lot. Added Talon grips and it just fits my hand perfectly. Sights are different but easy to adapt to. Only 1k rounds thru it but it's been totally reliable.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Best striker fired pistol IMHO. Love the trapezoidal sights, much more intuitive than 3 dot sights. The phrase “you have to get used to them” is overused. Took me one mag and then I wished I had them on all my combat pistols. My M9A1 has never hiccuped and my only gripe was the grip (wish it was more undercut and textured), which the A2 MF appears to address. Can’t wait to get my hands on one.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once had a Steyr GB pistol - OMG - I loved that pistol and it was accurate as could be....Had to sell it many years ago to pay medical bills....They are priced way out of my price range now and the 18rd mags are crazy expensive....

I do still have my Steyr SBS 30-06 Deer rifle I purchased over 20 years ago for $375 and it is a TACK Driver once I found the round it liked....It will be one of the last guns I sell when the time comes to reduce since neither son cares about deer hunting.....

Steyr weapons are super high quality - at least the ones they made and sold 20+ years ago....works of art IMO...

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a M9 and love it. Its stupid accurate and reliable, low recoil. I wish it had night trapezoid sights or maybe an rmr cut but it's fantastic as is and I've been contemplating running it with an x300 with the stock trap sights.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have an original M40 that I bought almost 20 years ago now. (How is that possible?) Most people warm up to the sights, I took the other route. I didn't mind them at when I bought it, but over the years I've gone the other way and wished they were standard sights.

Sadly for me it's another one of those guns that seems to fit me great, feels amazing in the hand, I just can't shoot it as well as I'd like. For whatever reason, unless I tuck/curl my strong hand thumb down low and in, I push everything to the left. I can't/don't shoot any other gun this way, so it just isn't natural. I've long wanted to try the newer versions to see if I have the same issue.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
We sold them at the Godforsaken gunshop I use to work at. Customers would examine them, then buy an HK VP9 or a Glock.

Most didn't care for the sights. The rest felt it was too "blocky" or didn't like the trigger. I personally didn't care for them. I thought they were overpriced and didn't like the sights or the trigger. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Steyr GB bought used for past 30 years. Box, instruction book, cleaning kit and both magazines.

I take it out to the pistol range about every 5 years or so.

Incredibly accurate. But I may soon sell it in order to thin out the collection.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw one Saturday.

Ringo: What pistol is that?

Jules: It's a Steyer L9-A2 - MUTHA FUCKA!

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a Steyr at my buddies shop years ago and thought the sights were actually pretty cool. The rest of the gun did nothing for me, but I would love to get my hands on one sometime to try out the sights.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my L9-A1. I prefer the trap sights, they are very fast and pin point, reminds me of Mauser iron sights. You can also change them if you want

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The sights are fine. It the same idea just shaped a little differently. The trigger on my M9 is excellent. And very accurate.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I own several Steyrs, a GB, M9, M40-A1, L9-A1 and a new L9-A2 MF as well as an AUG.

Steyr makes great weapons, every bit as good as an HK, Glock, SIG or Beretta. They do seem to follow a different drummer as far as design, and I think that along with the relatively little known Steyr name turns some potential buyers away.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAR:
I own several Steyrs, a GB, M9, M40-A1, L9-A1 and a new L9-A2 MF as well as an AUG.

Steyr makes great weapons, every bit as good as an HK, Glock, SIG or Beretta. They do seem to follow a different drummer as far as design, and I think that along with the relatively little known Steyr name turns some potential buyers away.

You have a L9A2 MF? How do you like it compared to your other Steyr pistols? I've been trying to find one in person. I have the S9 & M357. The original models. They are great guns. I'd like to know more about the MF.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that the new "MF" is the same mechanically as the earlier "A1" series.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new L9A2 and best I can tell it is mechanically the same as the previous A1 models except the chassis is now the serialized part like how the sig p320’s are. The new frame is phenomenal. I wouldn’t change or add anything about the gun until hopefully one day steyr releases some sort of tritium trapezoid sights and also take advantage of the modularity aspects the way sig is doing.

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
The L9A2 MF is mechanically, very similar to the L9A1. The quality is typical top notch Steyr.

The feel it quite a bit different, the grip of the A2 MF reminds me more of a Browning High Power or CZ-75 in shape. I could see some users preferring the A1 and others preferring the A2.

I am still trying to decide which I like better, the A2 grip feels a bit smaller in the hand and is highly textured, the A1 is very rounded, curvy and hand filling, voluptuous feeling like Marilyn Monroe I would say, where the A2 is slim, hard and sleek, more like Kate Moss.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a newer C9-A1 and love it. Glocks still hold a place in my heart but really like the trigger, grip and the Trap sight setup. Purchased my C9 preowned and was similar to a G19 or G17 in pricing.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post