Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

239 Grips Login/Join 
posted
I purchased a previously-owned 239. The original grips are a bit small and I wonder about moving up to some Hogue wood grips. The checkered grips look pretty good, wondering about the width of them as compared to the factory grips. Thanks very much for your input.

Posts: 267 | Registered: January 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stinger4me:
I purchased a previously-owned 239. The original grips are a bit small and I wonder about moving up to some Hogue wood grips. The checkered grips look pretty good, wondering about the width of them as compared to the factory grips. Thanks very much for your input.

The factory P239 stock grips are always known to be narrow. So, anything else will be better, especially the wood grips. Also, the Hogue rubber one-piece wrap around grip is excellent for the P239.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried the stock grips, Hogue rubber wraparounds, and Hogue smooth G10, but when I tried the Hogue checkered G10, that's when I had my "Eureka!" moment. They are a bit wider and much grippier than stock.

So are the rubber wraparounds, but the finger grooves caused my middle finger to jam up against the bottom of the trigger guard. I'd say to try before you buy, but the rubber ones are cheap enough that it's not big deal if they don't work for you. Also, they're an easy sale on eBay or Gunbroker.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I am a very big fan of the Hogue wood grips on the P239. With the exception of the P239SAS pictured below all of these wood grips are from Hogue

The grips on my satin nickle P239 are from Nills in Germany. The Nills are much more expensive than the Hogues, but I still like the Hogues better.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of wood grips too.

I have Nill and Hogue grips for my 239. I prefer both to the stock grips with the edge (for me) going to the Nill set.

Here are my approximate measurements: Nill-1.30", Hogue-1.24", stock-1.11".

I like the way the Hogues look (with those sweet nickel screws) but the Nills have that full, slightly rounded feel that just seems right to me.

I wish Nill still made grips for the older 228s. (Actually I'm not sure they ever made them).

Posts: 383 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced my stock grips with Hogue aluminum grips and that added some additional width without being overly thick!
I would recommend the Hogue aluminum or G-10's....a little more expensive but well worth the feel.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
If you've ever used or think you may like a laser grip, go with the Crimson Laser Grips.
Much better than the Hogue finger groove full wrap around grips.
Not as thick & "squiggy" feeling.
These will stay on even if the laser stops functioning!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the CTC grips. I went from stock to Hogue rubber. I liked them and was worried when I got the CTC's but they are even better.

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Crimson Trace grips. Good texturing, grippy rubber in the right places. Great feeling grips, the laser is almost a bonus.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Hogue rubber wraparounds. For me, these grips seem made for this gun.

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the original factory plastic grips. Thin, no snag. They work just fine.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put some skateboard tape on my plastic grips. Works fine.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I went with Hogue G10 checkered grips. They are fantastic, great fit, and thicker, with a well designed rounded edge in the front strap area that really helps the unpleasant (to me) flat front strap. Very grippy overall, I like them a lot.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I went with Hogue G10 checkered grips. They are fantastic, great fit, and thicker, with a well designed rounded edge in the front strap area that really helps the unpleasant (to me) flat front strap. Very grippy overall, I like them a lot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS
Exactly the same for my P239

Posts: 68 | Location: Great State of Jefferson (Nor CA) | Registered: December 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've tried to like the 239 for years. It's approved for plainclothes and off duty use at my job, so I've bought 4 of the things only to sell them later. The just never felt right. Until now. My current p239 has a set of G10 grips that make it feel like a completely different gun. Add a bit of skateboard tape to the front strap if you want even more grip, but you won't need it. The p239 is now my primary working gun and the gun I carry any time I'm basing my ability to carry off duty on my badge rather than my permit.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine, with checkered G10s and the +1 mag extension that Top Gun sells.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second the G10's, if you're interested in how the gun actually shoots as opposed to subjective "feel". Or cosmetics. Most of the time, I've found no correlation between "feel" and functionality on any pistols. While the G10's are thinner, they provide better control.

I have G10's on all my classic Sigs. The biggest improvement was on the P239. It shoots as well as my big Sigs. The texture on the backstrap is more important than the side panels. Add skateboard tape to the front and the gun is nicely locked in during the recoil cycle. The Sig OEM grips have a slippery backstrap which is detrimental to control under recoil.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never found the stock plastic grips to be difficult to grip. My P239 is in .40, and it's very controllable as is. I didn't want anything "grippy," as I didn't want anything that snagged on clothing.

The factory plastic stays in the hand just fine.

The flat front strap became one of the endearing features of the pistol for me when I was carrying it daily.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Hogue G10 checkered grips.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I had both CTC and Nills on my P239s as well as the rubber wrap arounds.
I favor the Nills over the CTC.
My finger blocked the laser when off the trigger.
I also ended up not being a laser fan.

Carried with the Nills for 2 years.

Had Hogue G-10 on a P229 and they were nice..

I've since sold all my P239 and P229 pistols.

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post