SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther P22 Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther P22 Questions Login/Join 
posted
Thoughts, questions, accuracy?
Wondering if I should just spend the money on a good holster for my Ruger MkII 5-1/2" bull barrel?
P22 has a funky key lock system, never had a firearm with a key lock before?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a P22, it went back to S&W 3 times for repairs. I finally gave it away and got a Ruger SR-22. It has a similar design, and I have been much happier with it. Matter of fact, I bought a second.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Skip the P22 and go with the SR-22. You would have to use mini-mags in the P22 to get it to run reliably. I've ran a lot of cheap junk ammo in my SR-22 without issue.

And if I remember right the P22 comes with one magazine and the SR-22 comes with 2.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was going to say basically the same thing...Walther p22 is a cheaply made pos...Get a Ruger SR 22... great little pistol...use the "backwards" operating safety on the SR 22 as a decocker...it's perfectly safe to carry with the "decocker" showing red

Posts: 44 | Registered: May 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Have both. My P22 has been flawless, but it is an early production - a real Walther. Also have a Ruger SR22. Nice, dependable pistol. I use it for suppressing.

Of the two, the Walther is a better feeling, well, just better pistol. But, again, it's a real Walther. If I had to buy one TODAY it would be the Ruger simply because of the horror stories of newly produced P22's.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I've read a lot of good things about the PPQ 22, but it is significantly more expensive than the P22 and SR22.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a P22 and PPQ 22. Both have been back to the factory for repairs and both work just fine since. I’d buy the PPQ M2 especially if you are thinking about ever buying a PPQ.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
ive got an early 'limited edition' P22, with the weight and extra barrel etc. I use it with my suppressor mainly and its been flawless. it eats any and all kinds of ammo I feed it and is extremely accurate. Ive heard bad things bout the later ones produced, but as for mine, its been 100%.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made the mistake of buying one years ago.

No more Umarex junk for me...

Posts: 1324 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Seems to me I railed about this only a week ago...

Current P22s are now modeled after the PPQ, like the CCP only in rimfire. Still made in Arnsberg based on the Cologne proof house marks on the gun (we have one in the shop). Feels good in hand but I always am wary of anything out of the Arnsberg facility. Their "S&W" M&P22 (full-size) has a pretty solid reputation for reliability, and the full-size PPQ M2 22LR models seem to be mostly positively accepted by the shooting community as well.

But it's still Arnsberg, home to Umarex's airsoft division. How much faith one can place with that side of the "Walther" brand...leap of faith, I say.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I had a P22. It was a fun gun and I ran it suppressed for a couple of years until the cheap pot-metal slide cracked just behind the spring guide shroud.

Had it repaired and traded it immediately for a Browning Buckmark.

I also owned a SR22 and it was better built. I sold it to buy M14 parts but eventually got another SR22 a couple of months ago with the factory threaded barrel. Its loads of fun!

I'll never own a P22 again.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
If you are set on walther. I've got a PPQ in 22LR that has been fantastic. After I unboxed I I put 1K rounds through with zero malfunctions and no cleaning.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen! Lots to think about.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know there is a lot of hate for the P22 and I totally get it. My brother had 2 of them and neither of them worked worth a hoot. My "P22 Military" (just the green frame version) has been flawless through many thousands of rounds so I really think it depends on the individual specimen. If I were buying new today,I'd probably look at something else like the SR but if your heart is set on a P22, there are good ones out there. Good luck!

Posts: 5 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: November 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got the same Ruger MKII pistol and have thought about getting a nice holster for it for many years. If you’ve got a short list of good leather, I’m all ears. Thanks (and good luck with your P22 vs MkII decision)

quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Thoughts, questions, accuracy?
Wondering if I should just spend the money on a good holster for my Ruger MkII 5-1/2" bull barrel?
P22 has a funky key lock system, never had a firearm with a key lock before?

Posts: 217 | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have an older military P22 and love it. Use mostly Remington golden bullets. Dad has a black version and no problems earthier. For $250 they have been fun shooters. No hate here.

"Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Posts: 1053 | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post