SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    44 Special Afficiandos please step inside
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 Special Afficiandos please step inside Login/Join 
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Big fan of the 44Spl in a dedicated revolver.

I own 4 of them, all S&W's - 3", 4" & 6.5" N frames and a 696 L frame.

My load is a home cast 250g SWC (lyman 429421) over 7.5g Unique 900fps (Skeeter load) and over 6.5g W231/HP38 850fps (Snapper load).

Remember, the West was won with the 44-40, not the 45 Colt, 44 is effective.

Accurate and powerful with a Cadillac feel when shooting.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Longtime admirer and user of the .44spcl
Though, I predominantly use the cartridge in a .44 mag revolver... I like the versatility.

I have found it accurate and easy to reload, there are a number of bullet types and weights for my needs.

I have had my eye on the Ruger Blackhawk, which is built on the .357 frame.

For some reason, I find the double action revolvers a bit big for the nature of the cartridge.

I would characterize it as my favorite cartridge.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Skeeter Skelton, which led me to become a big fan of the .44 Spl. I've sent thousands of rounds of 429421 bullets over 7.5 grs of Unique down range. I prefer dedicated caliber guns - here are my .44 Specials...

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1448 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I've ordered several Bulldogs for customers in the past couple of years, probably 4 or 5. Seemed an unusual pattern, but almost to a man each said they had shot someone else's Bulldog and that's what got them hooked (well also the cheap price as well). Quality of what arrived seemed fairly good to me, but I'm hardly a revolver expert. But it's much harder finding the ammo to go with those guns. Sometimes we've been able to get in Magtech 240gr LFN 50ct boxes, but not often. I managed to find a couple of cases 2 or 3 months ago; last I checked with only a couple boxes left, that distributor was out again.

I don't think I've ever shot 44Spc myself; Magnum yes, but I can't recall ever shooting Special. Since I don't reload, the difficulty in finding factory loads is a major turn-off.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Bob:
I'm a big fan of Skeeter Skelton, which led me to become a big fan of the .44 Spl. I've sent thousands of rounds of 429421 bullets over 7.5 grs of Unique down range. I prefer dedicated caliber guns - here are my .44 Specials...

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Your colt, upper right, and your smith, lower left, are particularly nice. That's great eye candy right there.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My one and only 44 Special was a Colt SAA with a 5.5 inch bbl.

I only had to bend the front side a bid to the left to make it shooting to point of aim.

The M 29-5 with a four inch bbl. I owned simoultaneously was almost fired with 44 Special loads only.

The loads were handloads with the Lyman 246 grains RN bullet with 4.5 grains of Bullseye or 7 grains of Unique.

Posts: 123 | Location: Teutoburger Wald, Germany | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I've been loving the 44 special for over twenty years. I have two Rossi 720,. A flat top Blackhawk new model 4 3-4", and a 624 4" that Mom got me when I came home from Kuwait. She's gone now but that is the one revolver that I'll never ever part with.

Most of my ammo is my own cast 429421 over trail boss and the occasional 429383 round nose.

To truly appreciate the 44 special you must hand load or be independently wealthy enough to afford the ammo.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 S&W 624s, one 3 inch and two 4 inch. Great revolvers..

Posts: 113 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Vark WSO
posted Hide Post
I don't post often, but this one caught my eye. Own more revolvers than autos and .44s are my favorite by far. I shoot Magnum, Special, and even .44 Russian (nice plinking round). Thought I would share a couple of photos of my .44 Specials - a factory nickel plated S&W Model 21-4 and a Model 296. Carried the 296 as a BUG and off duty for several years. Just enough recoil on that scandium/titanium lightweight that a set of Pachmayrs was needed. Hope this works as I had to switch to another photo hosting site (as many others did also).

IMG_0120 by [/url], on Flickr

IMG_0119 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/130674461@N03/], on Flickr

One of my very few regrets in firearms purchases over the years was the NIB S&W 696 I held in my hand at the gun counter that I did NOT buy!

Cheers -

OVW

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Old Vark WSO,

Posts: 75 | Location: Biggest Little City in the World | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another 44 Special fan!

I have a few 44 mags but do most of my plinking with 44 spl. equivalent loads. I usually use 8 grains of Unique with a 240 or 250 lead SWC.

I picked up a Model 69 with a 4" barrel. The gun is accurate and easy to pack. I am very happy with it and think of it as a 44 spl. that can handle 44 mag loads.

Posts: 82 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I enjoy .44 Special as a nice light load out of my .44 Magnum Super Redhawk. It is hard to find, and expensive when I can, so I don't shoot it often. I have slowly been accumulating the necessary reloading items for it. At this point I have everything but bullets, then I can setup to load some .44 Mag cases to Special velocities.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post