SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger wrangler new cheap .22lr revolver option
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger wrangler new cheap .22lr revolver option Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
As someone may have already noted - the barrel appears to have a liner. I swiped the pic below from the realguns article. I don't have a need for a .22 SA but I think it looks pretty good. It's a shame that (apparently) Ruger's revolver sales are low enough that they have to resort to doing this. For $173 + transfer I would get one if I didn't have a .22 revo...

If the picture appears to show the barrel has a liner, does the picture also show that the cylinder pin hole has a liner?

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ring-around-the-barrel looks fairly well-defined and consistent. But, in all my years in the US of Army, I was never trained as an imagery analyst - so it could be just lead splash or spatter. No one, including Ruger, says it is a lined barrel so it's just a talking point, at this point Wink. I'd kinda like to have one, sight unseen because it should feel a lot lighter than the Single-Sixes.

Posts: 424 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has to be a lined barrel. At that price point they aren’t spending a lot of time indexing a barrel. That is my guess.

That doesn’t bother me though. I own a S&W that the barrel is so canted you can actually feel by the front sight leaning in the frame of the rear sight. On the other hand, my 627 Pro is basically a liner covered by the shroud. Perfectly straight.

At what point does a liner, ala Roger Mk series, become a barrel on a shrouded expensive gun, ala 627 Pro? Thickness? Price point?

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I like it.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't trade my single-six for one, and if I was in the market for another single-action rimfire, I'd probably try to find a used Single-Six before I'd buy one of these.

That said, it looks like a higher-quality alternative to the Heritage Rough-Rider, and as a bonus it lacks the stupid safety that has no place on a single-action.

Posts: 8526 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Not for sale in Minnesota, doesn't pass the "Melt Test".

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Fits the 'canoe-fishing kit gun' niche perfectly.

Posts: 15880 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Not for sale in Minnesota, doesn't pass the "Melt Test".

Wait sir, I'm pretty sure it has a higher melting point than a Glock. No Glocks in Minnesota?? Wink

Posts: 424 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Looks like an econo bearcat. I got the bearcats for the kids years ago. They're fun, but after only a few rounds, the cartridges are hard to insert or extract, and I get a LOT of misfires. I can't imagine an economy version would be better.

I have an old steel-framed Bearcat from back in the day. The original Bearcats were aluminum frame/brass trigger guard, later switching to steel frame. These appear to have a separate grip frame.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it’s only the grip frame that’s pot metal, I think if the melting point is north of 150f I think it will be ok...I know global warming might have some concerned lol

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone else notice in the Ruger press release it mentions "built to Ruger's specifications". I wonder if this gun is not built by Ruger but some outside supplier, hence the low price.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
I'd kinda like to have one, sight unseen because it should feel a lot lighter than the Single-Sixes.

Ruger's website shows the Wrangler weighs 30 ounces while the same size Single Six with adjustable sights weighs 32 ounces.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait sir, I'm pretty sure it has a higher melting point than a Glock. No Glocks in Minnesota??

Oddly enough, the "melt test" doesn't apply to polymer guns. Should be called what it is: "Poor Folk Affordability Test".

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw one of these at SMGA for $179 shipped. They should sell a lot of these at that price. I'll be picking one up.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Anyone else notice in the Ruger press release it mentions "built to Ruger's specifications". I wonder if this gun is not built by Ruger but some outside supplier, hence the low price.

According to the Ruger spokesperson at the NRA convention the Wrangler produced in house...he also clarifies the lined barrel and cylinder questions...he comes in around the 1:00 minute mark on the Gunblast video...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/GLAv6dPMsgw

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the video:
quote:
And it really is, it's a Single Six but the big difference is we have an aluminum cylinder frame. So it's a die-cast aluminum frame.
Another difference though is it has a zinc die-cast grip frame.
It's a cold-hammer-forged steel barrel; there's no liner.
The cylinder is steel; there aren't any liners.
We designed the gun to not be fitted. I know a lot of people think a hand-fitted gun sounds nice, but what it really means is correcting mistakes - that's expensive. So this thing comes off all the machines absolutely correctly, gets assembled, put in the box and that's how we're able to do it so inexpensively.

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I picked one up as the price was pretty tempting, 180.00 and it goes with my 'Wrangler' Jeep!

Shot it yesterday and very very impressed. My first cowboy gun and it was fun to shot. Was bouncing sticks (pretending they were deadly venomous snakes) all around the range, very accurate.

A fun gun and someday will go to the grandkids.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post