SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger wrangler new cheap .22lr revolver option
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger wrangler new cheap .22lr revolver option Login/Join 
posted
I always wanted a cheap .22 SAA but never wanted the rough rider one, and didn’t want to pay for a single six. This looks like a good option

https://www.ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s pretty tempting, I like the silver with black cylinder. I had a cheap ass gold plated pimp cowboy action revolver that I got used from gander for 80 bucks. I soon found out why, a barn 30 feet away was too small of a target, and it grouped like a shot gun for me and everyone else k let shoot it so I sold it but other than the complete lack of accuracy it was a lot of fun

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Saw that today....went to a Ruger show a couple of weeks ago and they didn’t have it. Must have JUST launched.

I’d like to hold it in my hand of course but the visual looks of it is pretty attractive

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

To me, these new Rugers look like pot metal junk.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The grip frame IS zinc alloy/pot metal. With a big mold line right down the middle of it.

I’d sooner buy a well worn, used Single Six.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
The grip frame IS zinc alloy/pot metal. With a big mold line right down the middle of it.

Is the grip frame different than the main frame? The video on their website shows a machined aluminum frame.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
quote:

Is the grip frame different than the main frame? The video on their website shows a machined aluminum frame.

....they advertise a reduced price because of new aluminum machining processes.

I assume it’s a steel tube suspended in an aluminum barrel a la MKIV 22/45 Lite but who know till they hit the shelves.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
quote:

Yes. The grip frame is separate from the main frame, and holds the grips, the main spring, and forms the trigger guard.
Here’s a link to a useful article on the Wrangler:

https://www.realguns.com/articles/1096.htm

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes. The grip frame is separate from the main frame, and holds the grips, the main spring, and forms the trigger guard.
Here’s a link to a useful article on the Wrangler:

https://www.realguns.com/articles/1096.htm

Thanks for the info and the link. Given that read, I'd probably pick one of these up if it was under $200 (which, with a $250 MSRP is probably possible). I'd have to feel it in the hand and work the action, but a .22 revolver is something I've wanted but never really wanted enough to spend $500+ on a Smith or Ruger. A gun like this I'd probably only run a brick through every few years and would be a fun way to get into SAA type revolvers.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Being the owner of an old model Single Six, having purchased it well-worn, and it being the first gun I ever owned: I cannot help but agree Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mhughes:
I always wanted a cheap .22 SAA but never wanted the rough rider one, and didn’t want to pay for a single six. This looks like a good option

https://www.ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html

I could not get past the Wrangler Features video. The dude was wearing a nike logo Ruger shirt WTF. Mad

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
This is a really attractive “starter” SA pistol for first timers. Despite the pot metal frame, the barrel appears to be cold hammer forged steel rather than more pot metal with a steel sleeve. If given the option between it and a well worn Single Six that is mechanically sound, I’d take the Six all day long but I think we know how those are usually priced.

The kids shot this past week and the 11 year old had real difficulty with trigger on my dao LCR.22; perhaps one of these might be in his near future.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
$173 and free shipping at KyGunCo Eek

My LGS is doing $10 transfers for April, $183 out the door...

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=141471

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
If given the option between it and a well worn Single Six that is mechanically sound, I’d take the Six all day long but I think we know how those are usually priced.

Looks like plenty of used specimens can be had for under $400 on GB. It's been my experience I can usually match GB pricing by careful shopping locally. YMMV.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone may have already noted - the barrel appears to have a liner. I swiped the pic below from the realguns article. I don't have a need for a .22 SA but I think it looks pretty good. It's a shame that (apparently) Ruger's revolver sales are low enough that they have to resort to doing this. For $173 + transfer I would get one if I didn't have a .22 revo...

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
As someone may have already noted - the barrel appears to have a liner

So Ruger meant to say "cold hammer forged barrel liner"?

From their sales literature-

"Cold hammer-forged barrel results in ultra-precise rifling that provides exceptional accuracy and longevity."

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like an econo bearcat. I got the bearcats for the kids years ago. They're fun, but after only a few rounds, the cartridges are hard to insert or extract, and I get a LOT of misfires. I can't imagine an economy version would be better.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being the owner of an old model Single Six, having purchased it well-worn, and it being the first gun I ever owned: I cannot help but agree
Yep...me too. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The free spin pawl will make loading/unloading much easier and is a nice touch...I really think Ruger will do well with these...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/kwinwnZlmDw

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Single-Sixes with magnum slynders Wink - I wonder if they might swap in? I’ve never fired the LR cylinders in either ... although one was bought used.

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post