SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommendations for a Revolver in .22 Long Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a Revolver in .22 Long Rifle Login/Join 
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I've had both a 617 and model 17. I much prefer the model 17 6" barrel as it has no underlug and balances really nice. The 617 balances fine in 4" and the 10 shot cylinder is much nicer than the 6 shot on the 17 (for the range), but the 617 becomes very heavy and doesn't balance well at 6" and 8 3/8" barrel lengths IMO.

I agree. I have a 4" 617 and love it. IMO balances better than the longer barrel options.

10 shot is very handy and there are loading trays and speed loaders you can get for range fun. Trigger is smooth but definitely heavier than my 686 though.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Ruger Bearcat. If you can find the "Shopkeep" model pick up an extra for me.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a pre-lock Smith K frame, or a pre-lock 4" 63 (J frame)if you want smaller. These would be my first choice.

Of current production, the Rugers look good, but I have no experience with the double actions

I have experience with the Single-Six and Bearcat, and would recommend them if you like single actions. Same relationship as K and J frames, the Single Six is larger and the Bearcat smaller. The Single Six has the advantage of an easily changeable .22 Mag cylinder if that appeals to you.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You say you have a Colt Police Positive, but that it is more of an heirloom.

The PP is a smaller frame Colt revolver. I don't know why it is an heirloom. I assume family hand-me-down?

Why not look for a Colt Officer's Model Match in .22lr? This was made from about 1953-68ish.

The best sights with the same basic action made famous by the Python.

Or, go with the earlier Officer's Model Target [30s-1948/9?]. Probably better assembled/tuned from the factory, but sights are not as friendly as the OMT.

The Colts' can be made to run very nicely, and have something about them that makes you stand out.

Now, that said- if S&W is more your thing, I'd really recommend a 5 or 4 screw Model K22 Target Masterpiece [pre 1958ish].

As long as it was made after WWII the odds are it has the shorter hammer stroke action that makes it superior to the pre-war K22 design.

The K22 evolved into the 17 series, btw.

A S&W K22 is about as good as it gets, for 6 rounds.

If you want more barrel weight, look for the 617.

If you want all-around fun, think about the Ruger Single-Six convertible. It allows you to shoot about any rimfire .22 caliber ammo. One cylinder does S/L/LR/Stinger. the other cylinder does .22Mag.

Or- go all three.

High Standard Sentinels are fun, but not as precise as the Colts or S&W referenced before. Ruger Single-Six may be more accurate than Sentinel, but will not be as accurate as the Colt or S&W lineup.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I love Smith and Wesson revolvers (old models)
However, the price is a bit daunting and makes me think of alternatives.

Ruger makes some outstandin 22 revolvers, currently enjoying my bearcat.

I do like the SW 22/32 kit gun, it wasn't particularly accurate though, even when my father shot it (bullseye competitor).

For price, I've been thinking od delving into the world of H&R breaktop 22's, the 32 I have is well made and accurate, I will give their 22 platform a "spin" later this year.

I do have a thing for older firearms.

If I had to narrow it down to current production, I would look to Ruger.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a new M63 from S&W. Removed and plugged the lock hole.

Nice pistol, not as nice as some of the older builds but for what I want it to do it's good.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A number of years ago while visiting a west Michigan firearms dealer, I discovered a beautiful Smith & Wesson .22 caliber revolver in the showcase. What a great handgun to teach my kids
the fun in the shooting sports. That was the S&W
Model 18. My daughter really enjoyed shooting that
revolver, so I finally gave it to her. Great gun!

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Vintage S&W 6" K17 (k22) for the win. A 4" K18 would do too. I like the looks of the new single action Ruger Wrangler for around $200 too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Texas Bob C.,

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
I looked for a decent k22 to shoot for a long time. I didnt want a perfect one that i couldnt shoot, but i also didnt want one that was junk (even the junk ones i found were expensive). I was really close to just buying a new Ruger 10 shot, but at my local range i stumbled on a colt OMT. I thought the K22 was a sweet shooter, but the colt is just a touch more sweet!

anyway, if you cant find something you like I wouldnt hesitate to pickup a new ruger GP100 10 shot .22!

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson .22 if you can find one. They didn’t make that many. Built like a tank. Very accurate.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W 17-3 K22 Masterpiece

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I like a 22 revolver in single action. Having the option for long rifle or magnum is a big plus.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
BCZRX, Yes the Colt Official Police was given to me.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. I did get a 1951 4 inch K-22 with original box. However, I'm sure I'll check out some of the other models in the future as well.

Posts: 438 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either of these will do, a Colt Diamondback in .22 LR, or S&W's Model 18...the latter a "K" frame gun that's a great understudy for a M66 or M19.

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
That's a fine choice.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
a 1951 4 inch K-22

That's a great choice!

You did mention checking out H&R revolvers.

If you are open to that level, be sure to keep you eyes open for a High Standard Sentinel revolver also.

HOWEVER, if you go High Standard, be sure it is not the first generation, where the ejection ratchet didn't spring back into place. Those were the Sears model 88s, and the Sentinel R-100.

The R-101 through 108 had that fixed.

The K22 is a BETTER revolver in all ways, but the High Standards were a great piece of engineering and a great piece of history also.

My grandmother [dad's side] had one [she taught me to shoot pistols] and my mother owned another.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If single action is your cup of tea, I’d look for a nice used Ruger Single Six with the accompanying.22 mag cylinder. If I were looking for a new high quality DA revolver, it would either be the SP-101 or GP-100, depending on how much mass I wanted.

I currently have just 2 DA .22 revolvers. A Ruger LCR (not a target gun but fun to shoot fast) that goes bang every time, and an old Taurus 96. Iirc, it is a fairly faithful copy of the K-22. 6” barrel 6 shot, adjustable rear sight, and a fine shooter.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I only shot my Colt Diamondback a few times and it was a fine revolver, cost wise it was prohibited. If I remember it was over 2k then and that was almost 10yrs ago. It was very accurate and smooth to shoot, just stupidly expensive and more for the collector. Too bad Confused

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only recommend against Taurus. I've had nothing but trouble with their revolvers. I have a used .38 Special that I like, but the rest have been total garbage. I'm not a huge S&W fan either, but they are certainly better. Ruger is a fairly safe bet too. Then you can look at old Colts, etc. I always thought Colt made a better revolver than S&W, but I'm a minority there.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post