SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommendations for a Revolver in .22 Long Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a Revolver in .22 Long Rifle Login/Join 
Picture of RR
posted
What does everyone like for a high quality .22 Long Rifle Revolver? I have a Colt Offical Police which is more of an heirloom and a High Standard Camp Gun which is less than impressive. I’ve looked at S&W 34 “Kit” guns and the 617. Looking for one for target shooting, but wouldn’t mind something compact as well. Appreciate any input.

Posts: 444 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Look no more. Go out and buy the S&W 617. I have a 4 inch that I shoot with a red dot and 6 inch with open sights. Hard to beat. I suggest buying in person so you can check it out rather than on line.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W K-22 Masterpiece. If you can find one.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smith & Wesson is the "last stop" in high quality double action rim-fire revolvers.
If you want new production (and a warranty) the full size (k-frame) 617 and compact (j-frame) 63 are the basic choices, and they simply have no peer in the category. There's also the Airweight j-frame 317 "Kit Gun", but these aren't made for high volume shooting and are difficult to shoot well due to the light weight of the gun (11.7 ounces).
If you are willing to look at used examples, the 4 inch barreled Model 18 ".22 Combat Masterpiece" is my favorite in the K-frame rim-fire models and are considered by many to be "the best of the best". You can also look at the 6 inch barreled Model 17 "Target masterpiece" in the K-frame offerings. The Model 34 (blued) and Model 63 (stainless) "Kit Guns" are also wonderful little (j-frame) guns and available in 2 and 4 inch barreled examples.

My current favorite rim-fire revolver is my Dan Wesson Model 22-4VH. Extremely high quality, beautifully made, and as accurate as revolvers get, but scarce and some raise concerns over parts availability. I, however, can't imaging anything ever breaking on this L-Frame size brute of a .22.
None of these guns are cheap in any sense of the word, but quality is an end in itself, and with proper care any of these guns will outlast your grandkid's grandkids. It's all a matter of figuring out exactly what you want the gun to do and choosing the best fit for your use!
Good Luck!!

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakota Slim:
Smith & Wesson is the "last stop" in high quality double action rim-fire revolvers.
If you want new production (and a warranty) the full size (k-frame) 617 and compact (j-frame) 63 are the basic choices, and they simply have no peer in the category. There's also the Airweight j-frame 317 "Kit Gun", but these aren't made for high volume shooting and are difficult to shoot well due to the light weight of the gun (11.7 ounces).
If you are willing to look at used examples, the 4 inch barreled Model 18 ".22 Combat Masterpiece" is my favorite in the K-frame rim-fire models and are considered by many to be "the best of the best". You can also look at the 6 inch barreled Model 17 "Target masterpiece" in the K-frame offerings. The Model 34 (blued) and Model 63 (stainless) "Kit Guns" are also wonderful little (j-frame) guns and available in 2 and 4 inch barreled examples.

My current favorite rim-fire revolver is my Dan Wesson Model 22-4VH. Extremely high quality, beautifully made, and as accurate as revolvers get, but scarce and some raise concerns over parts availability. I, however, can't imaging anything ever breaking on this L-Frame size brute of a .22.
None of these guns are cheap in any sense of the word, but quality is an end in itself, and with proper care any of these guns will outlast your grandkid's grandkids. It's all a matter of figuring out exactly what you want the gun to do and choosing the best fit for your use!
Good Luck!!

I agree with Dakota's advice with a preference for the older Smith's. I have the 17 (6 inch), 18 (4 inch) and 34 (2 inch). I typically prefer short barrel revolvers but if I had to pick just one, it would be the Model 17.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
The GP-100 ain't half bad.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Ruger lcrx that’s come in handy for ptarmigans and grouse.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
S&W 617,6 inch barrel and 10 rds, never had an issue,killed a ton of rabbits and birds with a laser grip.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

S&W 617, 4", 10 shot, stays loaded with CCI shot shells and lives near the front door. It is our dedicated snake gun.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
If you can find one, a used pre-lock Smith & Wesson K-frame. I've got 2 of them and they will never leave my collection. I searched for probably 15 years for a pre-lock, 10 shot cylinder 4" 617 and finally found one after moving to Alaska. My 6" 617 full lug was a, "Consolation Prize" I ran across while searching for the 617.

They are both well made and extremely accurate. The 617 as far as I can tell has a stock trigger. That said it is probably the easiest trigger to stage of any Smith that I own.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I had a new production S&W 617 that was pretty nice when it went bang, which wasn’t always unfortunately. It also had one chamber that was pretty tight and made extraction difficult. Then after firing a hundred or so rounds it would be hard to chamber new cartridges. I traded it for an old model SP101 to a guy who thought he could fix it himself. The old SP101 doesn’t have as light a trigger but it goes bang every time I ask it to.

I’ve owned 3 new Smith and Wesson revolvers and had problems with two of them. I like their older guns but I’ll pass on anything new.

Of course I’ve sent a Ruger revolver back and had another NIB with a bent rear sight so nobody is perfect. Personally I’d go play with a few of the Ruger and Smith offerings and make my choice based on what felt best in my hand. I would ignore the idea that one brand is superior to the other though because while it may have once been true I don’t think it is so much anymore.

One company didn’t drill a hole in the side of their guns twenty years ago though and on more than one occasion that’s played into my decision too.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 17-3 K22 Masterpiece 6” and a 617 no dash 6” full lug with factory combat grips.

I was fortunate that they both came with the original boxes, Paperwork, and tools.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My current favorites are a 17 from the mid 60’s ( though I wish it had the more recent production 10 shot cylinder- I hate the full lug and stainless so have to stick with the 6 shot.
My smaller one is a 2” 34 6 shot. I shoot steel challenge with it and even on targets at 40+ yards rarely need the extra round to hit the 5 targets per string.
If they made a no lug blued steel 10 shot k frame I would be first in line

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
For an all around great little .22 revolver I settled on the S&W 63 with a 3” barrel. I’ve owned quite a few .22 handguns over the years including both the 4” and 6” 617, but the 63 just hits the sweet spot for my uses.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had both a 617 and model 17. I much prefer the model 17 6" barrel as it has no underlug and balances really nice. The 617 balances fine in 4" and the 10 shot cylinder is much nicer than the 6 shot on the 17 (for the range), but the 617 becomes very heavy and doesn't balance well at 6" and 8 3/8" barrel lengths IMO.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was going to recommend the one in the above thread. Big Grin

Smith Wesson 617, 63
Ruger SP101, GP100

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An SW 617 is some of the best fun you can have.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Really appreciate the recommendations guys! Gotta do some shopping around now. Maybe see what some of my local shops have. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

Posts: 444 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post

Single Action is such a blast to Operate and Shoot. Ruger Bearcat

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post