SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 4th Generation 40 S&W: Still problems with rail lights?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 4th Generation 40 S&W: Still problems with rail lights? Login/Join 
Picture of awa762
posted
Hello Everyone,

I learned to my great surprise a few months ago that a friend of mine experienced his Glock 23 Gen 3 having failed magazine springs, allegedly from the TLR-1 that was mounted on his gun.

Well, here I am with a new acquisition... A Glock 35 Gen 4 (early model). An ex-Kentucky State Police gun.

I'm wondering if the early (and later!) Gen 4 40 cals have been known to have reliability problems with mounted lights?

Also, does the age/generation of the G22/35 magazine matter in terms of the previously known reliability problems with 40 Cal Glocks with mounted lights? A bunch of older looking G22 mags came with the gun. All of this has kindled my curiosity.

Info and insights will be appreciated!

Thanks

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, it's exclusive to the Gen 3s, and lights that can be tightened with a screw like the Streamlight TLR series.

Despite providing a slot that will allow you tighten the screw with a coin, the Streamlight instructons say it should only be finger tight.

On the Gen 3 over tightening the screw affected the flex of the lower, and induced malfunctions.

One of the changes Glock made in the Gen 4 was to eliminate that problem.

I've used both a Surefire X300 and Streamlight TLR-1 on my Gen 4 Glock 22, for tens of thousands of rounds. The only rare malfunctions I've had were either from a bad mag, or from a worn out slide release spring.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Thanks, DMF. That's a good thing to hear.

Does else have some experiences? Good or bad with Gen 4?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: awa762,

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I've heard some tales of the Gen4 .40 guns still choking. I know some guys that are pretty high speed that say so. But, every instance that I can track is a street cop. With no mention of how the gun was or wasn't maintained, no mention of what follower was in the magazine at the time the gun tied up. I can tell you that I have never seen a gun on a police range that I have been on (including teaching at the KSP academy) that have had issues. KSP did have issues with their 35s at one time, but it was determined that the issues were with the remanufactured ammo that they were using for practice at the time.

I tell my guys that run the TLR to hand tighten it, and then back the screw off a quarter turn. Zero issues.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This is good information. Thanks, DMF and jljones.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
I've been through a low light course with approximately 50 in the class. Most were gen 3 Glock 22's and a handful of gen 4's. All the lights were TLR's. There were no issues through a couple hundred rounds each.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post