SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I want a Shadow 2 with a decocker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a Shadow 2 with a decocker Login/Join 
posted
A few months ago I had sold a bunch of handguns that I didn’t shoot or really want so I had some extra cash. I really love my CZ’s so I decided to try out a Shadow 2. I ended up with the Urban one, grey/fde frame and nitrided black upper. I love that combo. I added Lok grips and a matching G10 mag release. The latter was simply aesthetic but the Lok grips are functional. The supplied aluminum grips are marginal at best.

I have put about 700 rounds through this gun and it is amazing. I adjusted the sights for my preferred ammo and it just plain works for me.

I started out by installing the supplied extended safety. Shot some matches with it and found that I can’t hit the slide release with my strong hand. Using my support hand was no issue but occasionally my muscle memory goes back to strong hand thumb and it would cross me up. So, I swapped back to the flush safety since I never go cocked and locked anyway and I have transitioned back to strong hand thumb to release slide which I prefer.

This gun is nearly perfect. I would love to use this gun as my HD gun. I would as is but if they made the same gun with a fpb and decocker it would be perfection.

As an aside, we always talk about the idea that better guns don’t necessarily make you better. Or something like that. I have to say I haven’t ran a ton of ammo through this gun yet because of ammo costs but in the relatively short time and ammo amount I have shot this gun has both sped me up considerably and my accuracy has also improved. I start all matches hammer down, DA first shot and then go from there. My times have improved significantly and in the last two matches I have won one and took second in the other. The second was marred by some goofy mag malfunctions that were totally my fault. Ie, I was using CZ 10 round mags and on a stage where you have a mandatory mag change the full 10 round mag doesn’t want to seat on a closed slide (no issue with a standard mag because there is more “give”) so I didn’t lock in the mag, shot once, malfunction drill, none of which helped that stage. At all. Lol. All of this to say I have never shot a gun that instantly and verifiably by timer improved my performance so markedly.

Wish it had a decocker though.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could call CZ and ask them if they do that configuration you want,(decocker), but I think you would have go with the Tactical pistol for a decocker. Unfortunately, they are very different compared to the Shadow.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, so try and rent or find someone with a CZ SP01 Tactical and send some rounds through it. You will be very disappointed if you think that trigger will be even close to what you are getting with with your Shadow 2. When you add the decocker and firing pin block you have a whole different trigger animal.

I have said SP01 Tactical and a SP01 Shadow Target 2. Now I know that you are talking about your Shadow 2 but I feel that that Target 2 is similar to a Shadow 2 which I have shot about 100r through when I was deciding which pistol to get.

Now next up for the decocker SP01 is some Cajun Gun Works parts that will help the trigger out a bunch. I have shot other decocker CZ pistols with these parts and they are very nice but they do not make them a Shadow type trigger in my opinion.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh I own an SP01 Tactical. I totally disagree with you though. I added the CGW Pro package and the trigger is better than the Shadow 2 by a smidge. I shoot that gun well too but the added weight and length and heft combined with the S2 frame cuts and aggressive checkering cement the gun in my hand like no other.

If I can’t get a S2 with a decocker I would settle for an SP01 Tactical with S2 frame cuts and S2 checkering.

If both were stock, the trigger is better on S2. If you are willing to spend another couple hundred bucks (you should) the pro package is amazing. I have always heard that removing the firing pin block results in the finest trigger. I disagree with a caveat. It results in the shortest reset I have ever felt. The resets on the TSO’s and Czechmates are amazing, you release the trigger at reset and there is zero extra movement. I just don’t care for that as much as some do. I will take a fpb gun every day over a non. At least in CZ’s I will say. The RSO getting shot in the head is a good enough reason for me (although I think that ghost style holster was more at fault than gun plus the ludicrous rules that make you put the hammer at rest instead of half cock) but I digress.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well cool. I will say that the Cajunized CZ 75 BD that I shot had no where near the trigger I have in my Shadow Target. The owner said that he sent it to David and had the "Full Monty" done to it so I'm not sure what package he had installed. It was much better than a stock DA/SA CZ gun but still not as good.

If your SP01 Tactical trigger is as good as your Shadow 2 you could get some slide cuts done, extra grip checkering and a tungsten guide rod and you would be close to your grail gun ?

You brought up the RO getting shot awhile back when the competitor dropped his pistol on load and make ready while re holstering. I thought that he was shooting a Shadow 2 ? I did not think CZ put fpb in any of the Shadow line of pistols ? You stated that you would take a "fbp gun over a non every day". Also how do you half cock a Shadow 2 ?

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off the frame on the S2 is totally different animal than SP01. It’s longer heavier, different and better frame cuts, and the checkering is full width side to size, taller, and way more aggressive than SP01.

As for triggers, out of box the S2 is really really good. Better than the SP01. Putting in the full pro package on SP01 though made it better than S2 in every way I care about. Lighter, shorter, smoother. Reduced reach and reduced reset. Basically they are both very good. The S2 is good enough out of box that I won’t spend any money to improve it.

Half cock. If you own a CZ decocker when you actuate it it doesn’t put the hammer all the way down to flush with slide it rests on the half cock notch. I have heard this notch called other things but that’s the term I use. When you manually decock a S2 if you continue holding trigger to rear as you lower hammer the hammer will go all the way down to flush, it’s contacting the firing pin. Many people don’t like this so when they manually decock they pull the trigger start to lower hammer and take their finger off the trigger. This results in the hammer coming to rest on the half cock notch (it’s really more like quarter but whatever). The hammer isn’t flush and it isn’t in contact with firing pin. Re: the RSO death, most matches require the hammer to be at the full rest/flush position to start. I think this is because of some perception that at half cock and subsequent shorter reach, it gives the competitor an advantage. It also completely erases the safety aspect of dropping a gun with the hammer not contacting the firing pin.

If you drop a S2 with hammer all the way down it’s the same as a Colt SAA basically. Any inertia hitting hammer can transmit to firing pin and a discharge. If you start from the half cock (which is the exact same spot every decocker CZ drops the hammer to) the same impact would first have to shear the notch and then the resulting blow would be robbed of kinetic energy that the shearing action used and perhaps you end up with a broken hammer but no discharge.

The full rest position argument is the height of people arguing about something they don’t really understand.

You are correct, they don’t put fpb’s in the Shadow line. I’m saying I want a “service” version that has a decocker and fpb. The frame is just that good. I don’t want an SP01 with lightening cuts and there is no reasonable way to get the same checkering. I would be happy if they just moved those frame cuts (allows higher grip) and checkering into their other lineups. $$$ though so I doubt it will happen.

I put the “full Monty” into 4 or 5 of my CZ’s and I can tell you the triggers are better than the stock S2. Your boy got screwed if he paid for the fill Monty and it’s not great.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/1920087834/p/2

Great minds or something. A decocker S2 would be sweet. Ultra reliable with 19rd MecGars and a SureFire would be perfect for me.

I still use the S2 for Steel Challenge where I shoot it both in Limited and Production. I now have one converted to SAO and one DA/SA. Both have Apex hammers and sears with a 15lb hammer spring, reduced power trigger spring and floating trigger pin. I however left the stock firing pin and stock firing pin return spring in them. No extended pins or lighter return spring for me.

I use a SP-01 for carry and defensive games and a P-01 for carry.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m with you. The frame is perfection. I’ve never shot a gun that just naturally stays buried in my hand like the S2.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, would love to see decocker on their newer pistol lines. They would have more fans & buyers, if that were to happen. Huge fan of their PCR, almost a perfect compact gun. The decocker is ideally located, imo.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best decocker in the industry.

If I’m in charge I add a decocker option to the Shadow 2 which would be easy. Then I would add the upgraded checkering and frame cuts to the SP01 lineup. Call it the SP01-2. Ok, maybe find a better name but you get my point.

I honestly don’t understand how everyone isn’t shooting something CZ in competition. There are other choices, good choices, but they can’t compete on price at all. I paid 1200 bucks for my S2 in middle of covid. It easily crushes anything near that price in stock auto division. Plus, it’s just a great gun overall. Heavy, but great.

Tequila with lime
posted Hide Post
I have an SP01 Tactical that I've Cajunized and a Shadow 2 that isn't Cajunized.

Trigger pull weights are pretty much the same, both at 8ish lbs DA and 3ish lbs SA. Trigger smoothness is completely different. The Shadow 2 is smooth as butter, linear, gas peddle of a trigger. The SP01 Tactical has a couple little hitch spots in the pull where the decocker mechanism is encountered and where the FPB is disengaged. That's just the way it is. These hitch spots aren't "bad" so much as they aren't as good as the Shadow 2. A Cajunized SP01 Tactical is a VERY good trigger but the FPB and the decocker result in a less refined and less smooth pull just due to the additional parts engagement and complexity of the mechanism.

Thank you President Trump.

Posts: 8366 | Location: KS, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post