SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 20 precision / accuracy vs 19?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 20 precision / accuracy vs 19? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I haven't shot for awhile (more than 6 months). I've dry fired occasionally in that period though.

Still, I was a little disappointed in my first range session with the new 20 using the relatively light PPU JHP 180gr.

Off-hand standing, precision (group size) was about 4-6" at 7-15 yards. I'm used to 2-3" with the 19. Accuracy is better with the 19; I was shooting low with the 20. POI vs POA was displaced about 3" at 15 yards.

Just wondering if others who have both the 20 and 19, are you shooting equally with both? Or do you see some loss of precision with the 20 (something inherent in the round?)? Not worried about accuracy right now, just precision. Is it just getting used to the 20 -- it'll tighten up (this is my first non-9mm handgun since a long time ago). I'm sure some is anticipation and some jerking. But still, worse than I was expecting.

That being said, I was pleased that the recoil is much more manageable than I was imagining. And even as is, I think I could be practically effective for its intended use. I'm just not going to win any bulls-eye matches at this point.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't own a large frame Glock, but I've handled them. Own a Gen4 G19 and G34.

Your issue is most likely the difference in the Glock grip fit. For openers, my G19 and G34 have distinctly different grip fits. While nominally the same size frame, the groove and shape of backstrap are different.

The difference between your G19 and the large frame G20 is also different. Like many, I find the Glocks to be more sensitive than most pistols to grip-related inputs. Try dry-fire at home and see if you can identify any grip related displacement/consistency issues.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yes. There is a noticeable difference in feel. The 20 does feel larger.

I'll look at that more.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was getting about 6 inch groups with practice ammo at 25 yards with my G20SF. I swapped the stock sights for TFOs and dropped my group size to right around 4 inches. I can do better if really bear down or rest the gun.
And that PP ammo may not be the best. It was underpowered and dirty when I tried it. It was cheap and went bang but that was its only good point.
Try Federal AE for practice and see if you do better.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the 10mm especially thru the G20 to be a very very accurate round. Try different ammo and a little more practice. 2 inch groups are very attainable

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The two older model Glock 20 pistols I owned seemed to be a bit more accurate with 155 grain loads, pushed pretty hot. I have been considering the addition of a new Gen 4 G20 as of late.

Posts: 255 | Location: Oregon | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
The larger size grip probably places your finger pad at a different spot than you are normally used to. Maybe experiment with more/less finger.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips. Will try it out more.

posted Hide Post
What rounds were you using? (bullet weight)

Posts: 325 | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you had each pistol locked in a rest, how could you determine if either one is "more accurate?"

Perhaps you simply shoot one better than the other. In this case, the one with less recoil.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
My other half has the G19 and I have the G20 and a bunch of other Glocks. I have not shot the G19 since I bought the G20, but accuracy should not vary much between them. Light loads is a good way to get used to the G20. What I do, and what I recommend everyone do is dry fire. Get used to when the trigger is going to break. Do it with your eyes closed. Do it while you are watching TV, but practice dry firing. I’ve not tried it, but I’ve heard that you should be able to place a dime on the front sight and it should not move when you pull the trigger. When ever I shoot a gun I haven’t shot for a while or a new gun, I will dry fire before live fire. It has never failed to work for me. The G20 is a big heavy gun, and the PPU JHP 180gr is a good practice round and POI Will differ with different ammo.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much any glock ( barring some dramatic mechanical or quality issue) will shoot three inch or less groups at 25 yards. Any bigger than that and it is likely shooter error.
A few years back I took a few glocks to the range ( no 10 though) with a wide variety of factory ammo and handloads to see if I could find a load that was significantly more accurate for purposes of competing in gssf matches. Mind you the accuracy demands for these matches are not high but figured every little bit helps, plus I also used the same pistols for some other matches that had much higher accuracy demands. Shooting 25 yards two hand standing over dozens of groups and multiple pistols the worst group was a hair over three inches and the best a hair over 2. Pretty much a tail chasing exercise as a 3” group was suffice to my purposes.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Also bear in mind that because of size, grip thickness, weight, and other factors....the G19& the G20 are very different pistols.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
hundr, you are correct, VERRY different pistolas! I shoot both very well but it does take a few rounds for my muscle memory for each frame size to kick in. I DO find that the lighter loaded rounds are more accurate than super hot ones. I have spent years playing with loads for my 20s, (5 of them).Light for accuracy, NUCLEAR for up close Wild Hog killin!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post