SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Moon Clip loader
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moon Clip loader Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted
Who uses a moon clip loader/unloader?
I didn't realize there were so many out there with very different price points.
I know--you don't need a moon clip reloader.
Dillon is my go to tool.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've have a Demooner made by California Competition Works. Seem to work fine and they are around $20. I also have what Brownells calls a "moon clip stripper". I don't remember who made it, but it also works fine.

I generally just use my fingers unless I'm planning on using/expending a large number of moon clips.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Yep--here's Dillon at 1/2 price of TK AND has the unloader built in.

https://www.dillonprecision.co...rame_8_24_25535.html

Looks the same..... except has the unloader.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I thick M1Garandy is referring to the Ranch Products Moon clip extractor..
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/F...ue/productinfo/69EX/

Had to do a little research on that one.

posted Hide Post
This is the classic buy once problem. It is pricy but no one I have ever met would ever go back.

BMT Mooner. Drop them in, spin it, perfecto. If you buy the cheaper ones like TK sells. They work. The first time you use the BMT version you will cringe because it is so much easier to use. And faster.

Yes it’s pricy. It’s also worth it.

Posts: 7324 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When I went back to a revolver (after 10 years) I got the GP-100 10mm. The Ruger moonclips are pitiful, so I ordered a set from TK Custom. They are the same thickness, but made from much harder steel and are much stiffer. While I was there, I also got their moon clip tool and moon clip unloading tool.

I forget which tools I used back when I shot a S&W 625. The clips are easy to load by hand if you don't want to spend the money. Just spread the rounds out on a towel, take the clip in two hands, and snap each slot down on the extractor groove. It goes pretty quickly. And you can make an unloading tool out of two pieces of pipe, one straight, and a T fitting for a handle. You have to remove metal from the end of the straight piece so it leaves just a stub. You end up with something that is just like the commercially sold ones, just not as fancy.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10770 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I have several.

The Dillon is the best choice.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15827 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When I was shooting LOTS of moon clipped ammo in USPSA, I used separate California Competition Works De-mooner and Re-mooner tools. Fast and easy.
I don't know if the all in one tool they make was out yet or not. I know the BMT wasn't out yet, I remember when they came out.

There's a Lot more options today.

Posts: 21031 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To add what Henry said. The only way I see moonclips fail is when the get bent. If you load a bunch, like for a match, eventually you will bend one. And I disagree about the lapoading by hand part. If you get different sized clips or you buy different brass you will find some very hard to load and some are easy. Unless you plan on sticking to one brand of brass and determine the right clip size you will struggle occasionally.

Go watch the BMT mooner videos. It is as fast and easy as they depict. If you only shoot a box at a time I guess vice grips and a rag would do. If you prefer shooting to loading or plan on matches get a loader.

Posts: 7324 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Loading, or worse unloading them by hand is miserable. 45's are probably the easiest to do and by far the least expensive clips to buy. Some of the newer custom ones are very costly. Don't risk ruining them.

My range bag insert for matches from years ago. You don't want to do that with your fingers. Smile And forget a big match! Eek

Posts: 21031 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
I thick M1Garandy is referring to the Ranch Products Moon clip extractor..
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/F...ue/productinfo/69EX/

Had to do a little research on that one.

Actually I was referring to this: https://www.brownells.com/shoo...ripper-prod6727.aspx

Though now that you mention it, I do have a couple of that style around here somewhere too!

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
BMTMooner by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
The BMT tool, without a doubt, is the slickest loader/unloader you will ever find. Buy once / cry once.

The only drawback to the BMT is that it is caliber/gun specific. If you have multiple moon clip guns, in various calibers, tools like the TK tool can be used for multiple calibers by simply changing the arbor.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1446 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have the TK Custom stuff and it works good. It is expensive, at least for my modest use.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I'm also a fan of BMT having found them by a Apex Tactical blog post. This link is to the BMT Product Page:
www.BMTequipped.com/purchase.html

YouTube Link: www.YouTube.com/watch?v=mS8VjUbOEdM

Posts: 2850 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The greater the ignorance, the greater the dogmatism." - Sir William Osler
posted Hide Post
I have the others as well and the BMT works best for me.

Posts: 305 | Location: OR | Registered: August 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the BMT for my 625, I am overjoyed with it.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
The BMT really is the best on the market even for casual shooting. For competition or classes, it would be mandatory.

I own a couple of others, but stopped using them after having tried the BMT.

I still use the Brownell's Demooner when I just need to pull one round as opposed to unloading a whole clip

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14169 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Had BMT Mooner for my 625.
It was pretty sweet...

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post