SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    FN Five 7
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Five 7 Login/Join 
posted
I have always been interested in FN's Five 7 unique pistol but whenever I get interested in getting one I checked the ammo prices and evening large quantities of a thousand rounds it still around $0.35 per round plus shipping. While there are several manufacturers of this ammunition only 2 handguns actually use it. There are periodic sales but will this ammo ever come down or is it destined to be a high-priced ammunition, i.e. compared to 9 mm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Best price I've seen is $13.99/box for AE and a dollar more for SS197. I went deep on SS197 when it was that cheap.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some reason Palmetto State Armory offers 5.7x28 at very reasonable prices.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
...will this ammo ever come down or is it destined to be a high-priced ammunition, i.e. compared to 9 mm.

I think it's destined to be like .357Sig, only worse because there are fewer guns that will shoot it. It's not in high demand, and it likely never will be. No large agency or military branch uses it in volumes to encourage manufacturers to crank out millions of rounds. So yes, I believe it will always be high-priced compared to 9mm, .40, and .45.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigNull:
For some reason Palmetto State Armory offers 5.7x28 at very reasonable prices.

Thanks for the tip sigNull. PSA now has American Eagle for 15 USD per box so only .30 per round and free shipping on 10 boxes. I have to drive to Walmart and pay .26 round for WWB and tax. Hmmm, the FN Five7 may be worth considering. I will have to test fire one at my range again.

The one FN gun that I love is the PS90. Light and compact. Great PDW for civilians.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
...will this ammo ever come down or is it destined to be a high-priced ammunition, i.e. compared to 9 mm.

I think it's destined to be like .357Sig, only worse because there are fewer guns that will shoot it. It's not in high demand, and it likely never will be. No large agency or military branch uses it in volumes to encourage manufacturers to crank out millions of rounds. So yes, I believe it will always be high-priced compared to 9mm, .40, and .45.

It would have been great if Rock River Arms used the 5.7X28mm instead of their proprietary 22TCM (5.7X26mm) but everyone wants to be an inventor.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Best price I've seen is $13.99/box for AE and a dollar more for SS197. I went deep on SS197 when it was that cheap.

Do you find any drawbacks to the Five7 besides ammo cost?

posted Hide Post
I can't imagine it getting any cheaper. When the ps90 first came out I was buying ammo at $700 per 2000 rnd. case. And other than the political ups and downs it hasn't changed much from that and that's been I think 12 years (I lose track).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I sold my FiveseveN and PS90 during the Great Derpitude of 2013. I vowed to buy again when prices and supply returned to normal. I picked up a PS90 last year and went deep on ammo for it. I'm considering another pistol but every time I go to buy, there's something else I end up spending $$ on instead.

The Fiveseven is a LOT of fun to shoot....rapid strings are easy.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Whelp...my LGS had one in the case and were doing a $100 off special today so brought another FDE example home. $1250 out the door with tax. PSA had them for $1199/shipped this week (plus FFL fee) so not too bad for local score.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you find any drawbacks to the Five7 besides ammo cost?

Yeah it is too much fun to shoot and you end up shooting a lot. The only drawback is that you cannot shoot steel at a short distance. Limited felt recoil, as previous poster indicated; shooting strings is easy. Got my ammo from PSA, as well. American Eagle cycles as well as the FN ammo, just not as pretty. I think the Secret Service has these in their arsenal, among lots of other cool stuff.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Well, you're comparing a niche round, usable in just a few guns, with the most popular centerfire pistol cartridge on the planet. I had the use of a Five-seveN pistol and plenty of ammo for several months. Certainly an interesting gun and cartridge, but the pistol seemed awkward in use to me compared with more common handguns. Nothing wrong with the pistol or ammo, but with so many other excellent semi-auto pistols and cartridges available, I would not be interested in one for SD/Duty,etc.use. As a range plinker,etc., Sure, anything goes. But IMHO,the 5.7 ammunition, as compared with the 9X19MM, will always be less available, in fewer bullet designs, and be more expensive.....

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post