SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you wanted to supress a Glock 9mm...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you wanted to supress a Glock 9mm... Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted
Would you choose a Glock 17 or 34?

Let's say that in an ideal world, you would buy two slided for the pistol, one with suppressor height sights and one with normal sights that will be used without the suppressor.

(Let's say for the purpose of this exercise, you HAD NOT BOUGHT, OR EVEN PICKED OUT WHAT 9MM SUPPRESSOR YOU WERE GOING TO BUY, BUT YOU KNEW IT WOULD BE ONE)

Talk me out of, or into it....

Consider there is a EXTREMELY HIGH CHANCE that you will build a "clone" of a Colt 635 SMG (a 9mm AR that uses Colt mags and could possibly accomodate the same suppressor) some time in the near future. Not 100 percent, but a good shot.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
34 for me. Or a 17L if you can find two. I love my 34 and if a 17 length became a necessity I could get any number of slides for that. I would think building ny AR9 though would shift me toward Glock pattern mag AR’s though.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Either. Since they use the same frame you can start with a G17 and buy/build yourself into a G34. Or vice versa. Same with the suppressor sights vs standard...or even optic-ready.

Or just find yourself one of many, many dirt cheap G22s out in the wild and build up your dream 9mm host from there.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
G17, unless you want to have a yardstick for a pistol when you put the can on it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
G17, unless you want to have a yardstick for a pistol when you put the can on it.

Yeah, but then it's super suppressed, because they're all contact shots.

I assume Kevin is looking into becoming some sort of international assassin.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Yeah I’d go 17, maybe even 19, otherwise it will extend too far I’d think.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I am not a GLOCK fan so I can not comment on the 17 vs. 34 issue

However, I have been shooting suppressed firearms for 3+ decades now.

I certainly would not waste money on a second slide with "Suppressor sites"

Take that several hundred dollars and buy yourself some subsonic ammunition and learn to sight through the suppressor

"Suppressor Sites" are a relatively new concept. No one even considered them back in the day.

Just line your sights up and look past the suppressor at what is behind it

You won't be doing any bulls-eye shooting this way, but you will absolutely be able to hit your target

Plus you will have more fun learning the new skill than you would if you just went and bought a second slide

This integrally suppressed 9MM is pictured on a semi-auto lower, but the upper runs just fine on an SMG lower

The drawback to sharing a single suppressor between a handgun and a SMG is that the can must have large enough volume to handle full auto fire. Many handgun owners want small suppressors for their pistols.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Having a suppressor slide and normal slide is a good idea. I have a Glock 45 with an RMR slide and a normal slide.

I would go for it for both the Glock pistol, Colt pistol caliber carbine (or go with CZ EVO Scorpion with shoulder brace), and get a good suppressor.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I was given a threaded barrel for a 34. It’s actually pretty fun with a K suppressor on it. It’s long, but not too long. Something about it’s size is enjoyable. I would have never bought a threaded barrel for it, but I like it more than I would have guessed.

With a full length suppressor, I find it to be too long. So I guess my choice would be a 17 if you’re going with a full size suppressor.

It wasn’t an option, but my G45 is my favorite Glock for using a suppressor.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I’d never even thought about suppressing a 19X or 45. That would be about perfect for balance I think. Thanks guys.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I'd consider a MechTech carbine upper in 9mm.

You can swap cans, use the same mags, heck, it could be your second upper for your Glock frame.

I haven't looked into a can for mine as it is chambered in 357Sig.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of the two options, 17. Otherwise, 19/19X/45. Shorter slide make for more better. If you are going to do a suppressor height sight slide, look at milling for RMR (or something like Brownells' pre-milled slides).

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
G17

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its already bad enough how long these things are. why make it worse. go shorter or go home.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I had a 9mm conversion barrel for my 35 and suppressed it. It's too unwieldy. I sold the barrel. I never had a 17. I'm suppressing my 19X and 45 now. It's about perfect for me.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
TiRant 45M suppressor you can make it full size or shorter, get a 9mm piston and you can shoot both 9 or 45

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Suppressing centerfire pistols is underwhelming for me. I much prefer PCCs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Good points....

While in the past I have mocked the 19X, this may actually be a good idea....

Let me do some thinking... either way I think I am gonna go with a G 17... I can always get a G19 barrel that is threaded as I already have the 19...

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My 9mm piston came in today attached the TiRant to my CZ P-09

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you already have a regular 19, I'd do the 19X with suppressor sights to get a nice full grip and capacity whilst keeping it short with the can. And just shoot the 19 when you want the loud old-school experience.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post