SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig, M 17 not in full Battery , More rounds maybe???
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig, M 17 not in full Battery , More rounds maybe??? Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^^No problem man happy shooting!

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The only time this is REALLY annoying is when I'm showing one of the guns to a customer and THEY gently bring the slide forward. When it naturally fails to go into battery they conclude--however erroneously--that there's something wrong with the gun.

Almost always a lost sale at that point, no matter how I try to explain it afterwords. So I've stopped trying; instead I just tell them it's normal and that they'll never experience it with actual live fire, and leave it at that. If they choose to believe (most don't), then great. Even if they do choose to believe, they usually move on anyways.

Sown seeds of doubt...not healthy in a retail environment, SIG.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Eh, that puts SIG in a pretty tough position. Word of mouth from actual shooters has sold a lot of Sigs, and tight lockup has won SIG that word of mouth. If the price of convincing the ignorant is to give up the tight lock up and the same thing happens with pistols made by other brands, SIG would be silly to worry about it.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
The only time this is REALLY annoying is when I'm showing one of the guns to a customer and THEY gently bring the slide forward. When it naturally fails to go into battery they conclude--however erroneously--that there's something wrong with the gun.

Almost always a lost sale at that point, no matter how I try to explain it afterwords. So I've stopped trying; instead I just tell them it's normal and that they'll never experience it with actual live fire, and leave it at that. If they choose to believe (most don't), then great. Even if they do choose to believe, they usually move on anyways.

Sown seeds of doubt...not healthy in a retail environment, SIG.

I ALMOST didn’t buy my X-Carry because of that and I brought the not quite in battery thing up with the sales manager and he said it would work just fine on the range with live ammo. Glad I listened to him - the X-Carry is one of my favorite pistols.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed this same thing with the M17 I checked out a while back. Most shoppers I've observed in a gun store don't handle a pistol at the counter like they'd run it in training (this perhaps being out of "courtesy" or trying to avoid seeming like Tactical Timmy at the counter), so such things as a perfectly fine pistol not going back into battery because you were gentle with it are just going to happen.

Maybe this is better than someone racking the slide using the rear sights off the front edge of a glass counter, but maybe not. Wink

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My M17 was a little hesitant to go back into battery by hand when it was new. 100 rounds seemed sufficient to break it in enough that the "issue" resolved itself. It never really was an issue as the gun has run without fail since round one.

My older 320 did the same thing. It also never had a problem running with live ammo.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I noticed this same behavior when I got my new post-upgrade P320 Carry. I was initially concerned because my old, pre-upgrade P320 did not exhibit this behavior. With time and wear it has become less noticeable (or at least so it seems to me), but it was never a problem anyway. I have upwards of 2500 rounds through the gun and have never experienced a single malfunction of any kind.

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got berated once for slide slam on a pistol I was looking at in a gun store...you just can’t win sometimes

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first X Carry I looked at did this and I did not buy it but a week later got one at another shop same thing, I bought it any way. No malfunctions with any of them . If I remember back the week the Comm M 17 came out I had two in my hands and both did this . I will just shoot the crap out of it .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Triaxle, sounds like your M17 is a piece of crap. You need to donate it to me. I’ll pay for shipping! Big Grin

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to run another 100 rds of win 124 Nato stuff and some 115 Fed alum today . I did not get time to do it . Belt Fed if you lived closer I would let you run the shit out of it .

my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If the slide doesn’t go into battery when you “ride” the slide forward, it very likely could be because the barrel/slide fit is nice and tight (for maximum accuracy and all that). Taking a bench grinder or even a hefty file to all the lockup points on the barrel would probably cure the hesitation. Roll Eyes

But yes, more rounds and normal wear may accomplish the same thing.

This post would have been so much better with the word “Dremel” in it......

Smile

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
I was going to run another 100 rds of win 124 Nato stuff and some 115 Fed alum today . I did not get time to do it . Belt Fed if you lived closer I would let you run the shit out of it .

I’ve got about 600rds through mine. No problems at all. I have to agree with most here in that slowly closing the slide leaves it slightly unlocked. Other striker fired pistols I have do the same thing.

I do wish Sig would release to the cilvian market the other sized grip frames.

posted Hide Post
I like the fact M 17 Comm with the grip that comes on the gun . I did pick up the new X Carry , med , black grip for another Sig I have . It kind of makes it look like the new pro model . Sig Master Dealer here in PA had them .

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
My hands are on the smaller side. I can shoot the medium sized grip well enough, but the smaller grip is better for me. Sig makes them as part of the kit they provide the military, they just haven’t released them to anyone else.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mhughes:
I got berated once for slide slam on a pistol I was looking at in a gun store...you just can’t win sometimes

Because slamming it home on an empty gun that isn't yours is quite a bit different than when chambering a round.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Bought a $400 box of parts a while back. There was enough of them to put together a 2011 race gun.

Bought new springs before shooting it. Turns out it works best with a 6 1/2 pound progressive recoil spring. Riding the slide takes a new meaning with this one as it closes by inertia as opposed to spring tension.

Defective? No. Just about one of the most accurate handguns I have ever shot.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I believe the striker spring is being engaged in the last bit of slide travel to "pre-cock" the striker, which is why the slide feels like it has a hangup.

My 320 compact slide does this, and feels a bit gritty. Only thing I can find that would explain it is a bit of rough machining marks in the striker channel of the slide. If I had access to tools and trusted myself to go in there I'd ream it a touch and see if it improves, but it's not enough of an issue for me to send it out or pay to have it fixed. And Sig states it's normal.

The gun works fine, it's just something I notice when doing things like assembly/disassembly or or pulling the slide partially back to recock the pistol for dry fire.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It never was a problem it just would do it sometimes , seems to be getting better. I just picked up the Beretta APX Centurion 9mm on Sat I looked a long time and read about them before the move. The APX gun kind of has to grow on you . . Still have all my Sig though .

posted Hide Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but how can something that is not a problem get better?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post