SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig, M 17 not in full Battery , More rounds maybe???
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig, M 17 not in full Battery , More rounds maybe??? Login/Join 
posted
I have a new M 17 I picked up the week they came out , I have put maybe 500 rounds through it and keep it clean , lube with Lucas gun lubes also some Mobil 1 on some areas . If you rack the slide slowly there is still a feeling that it does not go into full battery, the last say 16 of inch or so . It just does not seem right . I have a L/E Compact with a Pre Tension barrel set up and it fine, shoots great . Have any of yours had this and got better with more rounds ?????????????

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it go into battery when you shoot it? Any problems with the 500 rounds? The x5 guns are "pre-tensioned" and if you release the slide slowly they will hang up out of battery. However, I've put thousands of rounds through mine with zero issues. I don't quite know what the "pretension" is, but perhaps it's the same on the M17. If it's functioning fine I wouldn't give it a second thought.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Do not “rack the slide slowly” as there is no reason to.

The pistol is fine and you are creating the problem by racking the slide slow.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why does everyone want to baby their guns and ride the slide closed slowly? You do realize that it closes at full speed when you shoot it.

The only reason I can think of might be that you are unloading and reloading carry ammo and are worried about bullet setback. In that case, you can usually assure that it is in battery with a sharp tap with the palm of your hand to the rear of the slide.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No offense to the OP, but it does crack me up. When you fire a gun, you set off a controlled, directed explosion and force a piece of metal down the barrel at high speeds. The slide is slammed backwards, and slams forward again, chambering a round. The round is jammed against the feed ramp and forced into the chamber, where the process repeats.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Slide is supposed to move violently back and forth, in order for the gun to function properly. If it functions as intended, then keep shooting it. Racking the slide slowly tells you nothing.

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you shoot it there has been know problems , I do not baby it or the other auto stuff I own but this just bugged me and the only other Sig I had that did it was the X Carry. Which I traded in toward this M 17 Comm gun. I even swapped the full size recoil rod and spring from another full size late build date 320 and it makes know difference . It must be in the lock up .

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
When you shoot it there has been know problems , I do not baby it or the other auto stuff I own but this just bugged me and the only other Sig I had that did it was the X Carry. Which I traded in toward this M 17 Comm gun. I even swapped the full size recoil rod and spring from another full size late build date 320 and it makes know difference . It must be in the lock up .

Damn, man. Why are you trying to create a problem, when there is none? Your gun works. Leave it the hell alone.

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You ask a question and five people, including Jerry Jones, give you the same answer, but you still think there is a problem.

Why did you even bother to ask?

"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:

Try leaving it on the tailgate of your truck then haul ass and let it bounce down the road and see if that will loosen the action up!... Wink

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If the slide doesn’t go into battery when you “ride” the slide forward, it very likely could be because the barrel/slide fit is nice and tight (for maximum accuracy and all that). Taking a bench grinder or even a hefty file to all the lockup points on the barrel would probably cure the hesitation. Roll Eyes

But yes, more rounds and normal wear may accomplish the same thing.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Try leaving it on the tailgate of your truck then haul ass and let it bounce down the road and see if that will loosen the action up!... Wink

Nah, I'd just go straight to the Dremel with the grinding drum.

- Benjamin Franklin

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Do not “rack the slide slowly” as there is no reason to.

The pistol is fine and you are creating the problem by racking the slide slow.

I'd go with this answer, triaxle. Just go shoot it and enjoy it; nothing to worry about.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Did you polish the feedramp to a mirror finish yet?

<sarcasm>

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You are artificially inducing an operating limitation into your pistol and complaining that under this condition, your pistol does not work?

Any automatic pistol will fail if its normal return-to-battery operation is robbed of enough energy.

This is like complaining that your car accelerates more slowly when you push the brake and the accelerator peddle down at the same time.

A pistol like the M17 is designed operate under a specific set of circumstances that include realistic challenges (like dirt, and post-firing residue build up). An operator purposefully retarding forward momentum of the slide isn't something SIG can or should plan for. If you operated the pistol in a manner that is not foreseeable by the manufacturer, it's not their fault if it fails to function properly.

This is a don't bring none, won't be none situation.

Stop riding the slide.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Rack that slide like you’re trying to hurt it!

It won’t mind and you can’t hurt it.

There’s no real reason you should be babying a slide.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don't believe all the very smart people that have stopped by to respond to you, you can read your owners manual:
"3.5 Loading the Pistol - Continued
6. Release the slide by either:
a. Pressing down on the slide catch lever, releasing the slide forward and chambering a cartridge.
b. Pulling back on the slide and releasing it to chamber a cartridge. Do not ride the slide forward. Failure to properly complete step b may induce a stoppage"

Check page 23

Though I might actually say some of the posters here are smarter than the tech writers on the manual.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It only matters how it actually shoots. You cannot work a slide by hand with the same speed and force that firing a cartridge does.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
My M17 does not exhibit this, but many that I handled at my LGS did, including the commemorative ones they had. I assume live fire would be fine, though it did bug me a bit. I own plenty of pistols and the only one that did it was an older Les Baer TRS that I owned for a while. And funnily enough, it had a few live fire FTRB issues.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the reply`s I own a few pistols and this Sig M 17 Comm, and the X Carry are the only ones that would do this . My other Sig, Smith, Glock , Beretta guns you could pull back just to unlock and they snap right shut . This Commemorative must be a tight one .Thank you Lincoln Six Echo , I had a Les Baer hard ball gun that was so tight you could barely rack the slide .