SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Suppressor Bedside
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressor Bedside Login/Join 
Picture of dc54
posted
Do any of you keep a suppressed handgun bedside? I've been contemplating having my nightstand gun suppressed so I don't ruin my hearing if(god forbid) I need to use my gun in the middle of the night in a defensive manner. My main concern is the blowback of gases and the possibility of ruining my vision instead of my hearing. I've tried a few different types of slower 9mm ammo, but all of it has enough gases to be worrisome. Any thoughts?

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Don't worry. If you have to use your weapon in a life-threatening situation you won't hear it.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Not a pistol, but my bedside AR is suppressed. I'm all for it.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Suppressed pistol is too front heavy to actually shoot dynamically with. IF I have to shoot someone inside, in my house, in self defense....my hearing is the last thing on my mind. G17 with a light, and my duty rifle.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I'm all for it.

Me too, can't think of a better use of a supressed weapon.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Suppressed pistol is too front heavy to actually shoot dynamically with. IF I have to shoot someone inside, in my house, in self defense....my hearing is the last thing on my mind. G17 with a light, and my duty rifle.

Pretty much this.

Suppressed Centerfire pistol changes the form factor too excessively to be used in the same manner as a non-suppressed handgun.

Rifle, different story.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by black1970:
Don't worry. If you have to use your weapon in a life-threatening situation you won't hear it.

Maybe your brain won't, but your ears still will.

I would think the can would give you a MUCH better chance of not ruining your night vision, they make the best flash hiders.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
No, too bulky. Don't want to be banging it around pulling it from the nightstand.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
How about electronic ear muffs, such as MSA Sordins? Those would intensify low level sound binaurally and dampen a non-suppressed gunshot.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think this topic comes up once a quarter.

Suppressors, hearing protection, body armor, home defense plans...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
NO

I keep a 12 Gauge bedside

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
There’s a whole line of stubby 9mm cans out or being released that might work well for this situation. I think a suppressed AR or some type of carbine would be best.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An NFA item would be the last thing I'd want confiscated and used against me in court in a self defense shooting.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 971 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
A suppressed pistol is too heavy to "shoot dynamically" with?

You guys are nuts.

With a suppressed pistol, at the ranges involved in interior space, you can aim with the suppressor.

Have you heard a gun indoors? I have.

A suppressed pistol is a fine idea.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Yup. Even with carpet, a gun fired indoors is fricken loud. If you have a suppressor, it might be wise to learn to use it in confined spaces.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Any concerns with the gas blowback without safety glasses for those advocating it in a defensive setting? After shooting mine fore the last few weeks, this is my main concern with keeping it bedside. Previously I kept my suppressor on my Scorpion. That’s my closet gun, not nightstand gun. Blowback not as much an issue with the Scorpion. Further away from my face with the brace.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of CZ75 P01 Compacts for use with Liberty Centurions for my house gun. Compact barrel + compact gun = easy to move around the house with and quieter than no can.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
Any concerns with the gas blowback without safety glasses for those advocating it in a defensive setting? After shooting mine fore the last few weeks, this is my main concern with keeping it bedside. Previously I kept my suppressor on my Scorpion. That’s my closet gun, not nightstand gun. Blowback not as much an issue with the Scorpion. Further away from my face with the brace.

If you reload, you might try Alliant flake powder. Seems to burn more completely so blowback is not noticeable. IIRC (Verify for yourself to be certain) I use 4.5 grains of Red Dot in my 45acp behind a 230gr projectile and never feel blowback.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Recently did a shoot house course with our SWAT guys and they let me try it with a suppressed pistol. A little awkward at first but I got the hang of it. With most of my upclose pistol usage I never use the sights so I’m not worried about blowback.

I’ve been a point shooter for over 30 years. I do Ohio’s entire abysmal pistol qualification course by point shooting.

My current home setup is all suppressed. Glock 21 with WML on my side, Beretta 92 on guest side and my 7.5” 300blk sbr.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
A suppressor for my Shockwave? Oh boy, would I be in for that!

I've multiple friends and coworkers who have cans so I've had a chance to shoot with them on various pistols; the unfamiliar balance is a bit awkward at first but I got used to it, at least with two hands. I get razzed as to why I've haven't yet submitted for one; chalk it up to being cheap and waiting for the HPA that will never happen. But a multi-caliber can on my 300BLK pistol would be damn sweet. And I won't notice any shift of weight balance nearly so much.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post