SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Remington 1911
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 1911 Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
I shot my cousin's Remington 1911 last year and damn if it wasn't a nice pistol right out of the box. I don't have anything in 45ACP and I don't know how much I'd ever shoot it but with prices bottoming out lately I've been tempted. Have there been any problems with this gun? I ask because of the recent history of their guns being less than stellar.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Their base R1 1911 have been pretty much good to go, though earlier builds were made with better tolerances and triggers, IMHO. We've had a few come through the shop in the past couple of years; I've noticed more play in the slide fit and triggers that were less than clean/precise, traits that the Remington R1s were consistently great with in its first few years of production.

As for the rest: I've never been that enamored with their Enhanced R1 lineup; more money for more bells and whistles and more build sloppiness tossed in as well. Not a formula I'd consider acceptable but YMMV.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I have two standard R1s that i boight on sale to Cerakote. Tney have been sandblasted and re coated about 4 times now, they have been flawless. I also have 2 enhanced R1s, one woth a threaded barrel and tall sights. Botje of them are flawless. Just be aware with the standard, the rear sight dove tail is cut different, so i have not found any other rear sight that will fit wothoit having the slide milled. They call ot proprietary. The enhanced have better standard sight slots and the serations are better.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd skip over it and get a Colt Competition (which is one hell of a pistol for the money).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'd skip over it and get a Colt Competition (which is one hell of a pistol for the money).

+1

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a basic R1 I purchased NIB back in 2011. I would guestimate 3,000 rounds thru it and nary a problem.

You should be good to go with yours.

Posts: 282 | Location: Lake Martin, Alabama | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
1911=Colt. Start from there, and then spend as much money as you want.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post