SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Advice on a CZ 82-Weight related
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on a CZ 82-Weight related Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
I know many here have one or several CZ82's.
Intending to purchase one soon, in the Makarov caliber.

I've never handled one in person, so my question is about weight more than anything else.

The weight (empty) is listed as 25 oz's. I realize it's a steel pistol, when fully loaded with 13 rounds, is it clunky heavy?

Or balnced well enough that you don't notice the weight?

Thanks all.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked mine up last month - in 9mm Mak. Poor quality foto by the way. The good news is its not abusive at all to shoot - compared to, say, a P230. Bad news is it feels heavy - different balance point but feels like an S&W 6906 or 669. I bought this one just as a range plinker. Apex Gun Parts still has legitimate CZ mags BTW. Both I received are Exc+ and do not have the dreaded double-weld or the 'mfg CZ' buttplates. They were $25 when I ordered them. You are welcome to a couple of the mfg CZ mags if you are nearby in VA - they work fine as range mags ...

Edited to add: Forgot to mention that it is a keeper! I paid 350 for it which is prolly on the high side given condition. The (arsenal - I assume) epoxy finish on the slide looks much better in real life than my crummy pic. I have no intentions of carrying it bc it is way too heavy for pocket carry IMO. It was very accurate for me at five yards - which is about my limit (for targets) given my eyesight. Ammo is getting hard to come by but I don't think you will regret it.

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Thank you GeoJelly....You have a nice CZ.

I carry all my pistols, as non are relgated to just range use. The weight comparisons with the SW's gives me an idea on weight comparisona.

I reload for the Makarov caliber, so ammo isn't a problem, but I would carry it with factory loaded ammo. I've just heard good things about this pistol.

It will be carried in an Holster either IWB/OWB.
Hopefully some other members will post.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Sunset, the CZ is super reliable, but there's no denying they are heavy. Aside from being a little heavy for caliber, they don't really have any downsides. I personally prefer the real-deal Makarovs like the Russian or E. German for carry.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes you notice it. It's a very heavy gun for it's size. I just bought a M+P shield in 9mm,it's smaller, holds about the same amount of rounds, that weighs less than half of the weight of the Makarov and about the same size. That being said, they're bulletproof and many people like them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
Sunset, the CZ is super reliable, but there's no denying they are heavy. Aside from being a little heavy for caliber, they don't really have any downsides. I personally prefer the real-deal Makarovs like the Russian or E. German for carry.

I have a Bulgarian Makarov and a Polish Radom P83.
The Makarov is very svelte compared to the P83, I like the Makarov chambered pistols. Looks to me, the CZ82, even if it's heavy, would point very well, with the small slide.

One thing I always do, if the gunshop will allow it, is to load a magazine , and test the weight of any pistol That is high capacity, Sometimes those pistols empty pistols seem much heavier loaded, no one carries an empty pistol.

We have all gotten spoiled to the polymer framed pistols.

美しい犬

...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
They are heavy for a pocket gun, they are accurate, reliable quick handling weapons.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
As a LH shooter, I like the ambi controls.
With a stiff belt and good holster, weight is not a problem.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have all gotten spoiled to the polymer framed pistols.

Very true, friend.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
The weight is a plus in helping to deal with recoil, in addition to the ergonomics.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
http://leolani.net/relics/cz82.html

Interesting guide to dissassembly/ reassembly on ghe CZ82 I found.

No wonder its heavy, 53 parts!

More than likely , the one I purchase will need to be refinished. I would do this myself.

I've tackled many difficult tasks with complex guns befoe with good luck, but the CZ82 appears daunting to me!

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
My every day carry pistol for the past 6 years is a CZ-82. The weight is not an issue. The pistol balances well. It has excellent sights and a decent trigger. It is an accurate pistol. I carry it everywhere that I go as it carries well.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 125 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Found this one on Pinterest

美しい犬

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I know many here have one or several CZ82's.
Intending to purchase one soon, in the Makarov caliber.

I've never handled one in person, so my question is about weight more than anything else.

The weight (empty) is listed as 25 oz's. I realize it's a steel pistol, when fully loaded with 13 rounds, is it clunky heavy?

Or balnced well enough that you don't notice the weight?

Thanks all.

Weights as measured on my digital scale:
Empty mag inserted 1-lb 11.9-oz
13 rounds 90 grn brass case round nose ammo 1-lb 15.8-oz
13 rounds 90 grn aluminum case hollow point ammo 1-lb 14.5-oz

When I carried mine I used the surplus shoulder holster that CZ USA was selling for $5.00 at the time.
Once the holster was adjusted, carry was quite comfrtable.
The extra weight of the pistol helps tame the percieved recoil generated by the blow back action.
Overall a very nice albiet somewhat outdated pistol.

The picture of the 82 that you posted shows someone had the slide cut for those sights and may have had the original rear sight cut filled.
Compare them to sights on GeoJelly's pic - those are original.
Not good as a collectable but I suspect they greatly enhance the pistol as a shooter.

Noting the crossed sword stamp, the mag on the table appears genuine.
Judging by the baseplate, the mag in the pistol is not.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
I just picked mine up last month - in 9mm Mak. Poor quality foto by the way. The good news is its not abusive at all to shoot - compared to, say, a P230. Bad news is it feels heavy - different balance point but feels like an S&W 6906 or 669. I bought this one just as a range plinker. Apex Gun Parts still has legitimate CZ mags BTW. Both I received are Exc+ and do not have the dreaded double-weld or the 'mfg CZ' buttplates. They were $25 when I ordered them. You are welcome to a couple of the mfg CZ mags if you are nearby in VA - they work fine as range mags ...

Edited to add: Forgot to mention that it is a keeper! I paid 350 for it which is prolly on the high side given condition. The (arsenal - I assume) epoxy finish on the slide looks much better in real life than my crummy pic. I have no intentions of carrying it bc it is way too heavy for pocket carry IMO. It was very accurate for me at five yards - which is about my limit (for targets) given my eyesight. Ammo is getting hard to come by but I don't think you will regret it.

The stamps on the left side of the slide are unusual inasmuch as I haven't previously seen one that was marked like that.
Usually the markings on the left side (if any) are the importers marks.
Is the frame stamped with the crossed swords on the right hand side?

Regards, Steve

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Steve thanks for posting the information .

I ordered from J&G Sales today, I should have the pistol next week. I ordered one they advertised as "chipped grip" in Good Condition for $199. I figured I was going to replace the grips anyways, and I also ordered an extra magazine.

Total including shipping was $259.

Finish is not important, because I am sure I will refinish it in the future. I just hope I get one not dinged up.

美しい犬

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Steve thanks for posting the information .

I ordered from J&G Sales today, I should have the pistol next week. I ordered one they advertised as "chipped grip" in Good Condition for $199. I figured I was going to replace the grips anyways, and I also ordered an extra magazine.

Total including shipping was $259.

Finish is not important, because I am sure I will refinish it in the future. I just hope I get one not dinged up.

You are welcome.
Chipped grips can mean anything from external wear to the front locking grooves that slip into the frame being broken off.
Not an issue since you plan on replacing them anyway.

Having refinished mine to be as near original as possible several years ago (although a bit more durable than the thin crappy paint they were issued with) reassembly is not for the faint of heart.
It is possible you may use language that will make God mad at you putting it back together.

Regards, Steve

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Steve, after seeing and reading horror stories about detail stripping this CZ, and reassembly, I am going to start praying now.

When I detailed stripped and refinished my Radom P83, it taxed my wits.

CZ pistols are the most complicated designs ever.

美しい犬

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Patience, a printed copy or wifi tablet with the linked instructions (they are very good) and as I recall a slave pin will help immensely.
It can be difficult but it is not impossible and these pistols do refinish nicely.
If you have access to a wire wheel, it is easy to strip the original finish and prep the metal for whichever finish you choose, although bluing the frame and/or slide will take additional prep work.

Actually, they are not so complicated as dependent upon one knowing the 'tricks of the trade' to avoid potential pitfalls.

Similar to reloading ammunition, I consider these type of projects as a hobby within a hobby.
Plus there is the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself and if it gets screwed up, it will be easier to redo the 2nd time.

Regards, Steve

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I just bought a M+P shield in 9mm,it's smaller, holds about the same amount of rounds, that weighs less than half of the weight of the Makarov and about the same size.

I think you're comparing to a regular Makarov, not a CZ-82 in 9mm Mak chambering. The Shield is a single-stack that holds 7 in the flush mag and 8 in the extended. The CZ-82 is a double-stack that holds 12.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: toivo,

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post