SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Case Hardened Desert Eagle .44 Magnum
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Hardened Desert Eagle .44 Magnum Login/Join 
Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted
I used to think the Desert Eagle in .50 AE was neat but had no real practical application, at least not for me. The giant handgun is a cult icon in fictional novels, tv, movies, and video games.

Then I shot one at the SHOT Show Industry Day at the Range and I was impressed with how well I could hit with it on steel. I was hitting a smaller than human size hunk of steel at 100 yards from a standing two-hand position. I have big hands and I chalked it up to that and bright sunlight on big, easy to see sights.

The .50 AE ammo is expensive and not easily purchased at big box stores. But.......hmmmmmm. The .44 Magnum is a cartridge I already shoot and it's available fairly easily.

Then the Desert Eagle started being made here in the USA, which I like. And the new models have the rail up top to mount a red dot. That would be neat for wild boar hunting.... Hmmmmmmm again.

Then Magnum Research added to their gold tiger striped versions by having Bobby Tyler of www.TylerGunWorks.com case harden the entire pistol. And Magnum Research added fancy dark walnut stocks to match the multiple colored hues of Tyler's amazing case hardening process.

I was in! After many months, I finally have my Deagle along with a 'Cuda holster from Rob Leahy at Simply Rugged Holsters (www.simplyrugged.com). He's a super nice guy who makes really terrific holsters!

The Desert Eagle goes well with the Iroquois Tomahawk I already had from Tyler! (By the way, he's the only man on earth who knows how to properly case harden stainless steel! That axe is stainless!)

I'm ready for a hog hunt!

-Steve

Posts: 985 | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Wild hogs should beware.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is massively sexy! WOW!!!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Very beautiful and great pictures.
I confess that I have eyeballed the .357 Magnum Desert Eagle in the past. It's not practical, but hmmm...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!

That is very very nice, I like it a lot...

Archerman

Posts: 2483 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats... I hope you bring that to the range soon!!! I'll bring my L5.....Man is she a beaut!!! Nice hat BTW.... ahhahah

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Not usually a fan of case hardened, but that pulls it off nicely.

If you are a Borderlands player then I think you would understand if I said it should say "Jakobs" on it somewhere. Cool

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I dare you to show up to an intro CCW class carrying that sumbitch! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I was a hog, I'd be proud to be shot by that rig!

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The very definition of a Barbecue Gun. I happen to think that the .44 Magnum is a better chambering for the DE.

What I find amusing is that third belt slot in the holster, which would allow for crossdraw carry.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107501 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous gun but I have a question. Is case hardening purely cosmetic or does it add strength to the gun also.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
That's stunning! A work of art.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Positively Wicked.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
The wood stocks really compliment the case hardening. Looks great! Congrats!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The very definition of a Barbecue Gun. I happen to think that the .44 Magnum is a better chambering for the DE.

What I find amusing is that third belt slot in the holster, which would allow for crossdraw carry.

The third slot also should make it usable on the ChestyPuller .

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

The third slot also should make it usable on the ChestyPuller .

Exactly! Rob Leahy makes his Chesty Puller system and it utilizes that third belt slot. I asked for it this way so I can get a Chesty Puller later.

Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
Gorgeous gun but I have a question. Is case hardening purely cosmetic or does it add strength to the gun also.

So, my understanding is that case hardening was used over 100 years ago (and longer) to actually harden the steel surface of firearms. It was a protective finish.

Today's steels don't need it. Tyler Gun Works utilizes a process similar to the old way of doing it, so here is the quote from Tyler's web page:

"We strive to provide a Color Case finish with a superior level of elegance for the true firearm connoisseur. Color Case is a process can add the look of elegance when done by a professional.

Here at Tyler Gun Works, we are able to Color Case items that others cannot, due to our ability to work at lower temperatures. We keep our temperatures in the 1200 degree range. Most of the newer receivers made today are made of pre-heat treated steel. Working at low temps gives us the ability to bring you the colors you deserve, without double heat treating your steel. Even at these lower temps we still take all precautions and solid block each receiver to prevent against warping."

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The term case “hardening” describes what it was originally: a way of hardening the surface of the metal.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Man, I wish I could do that to the slide of a Sig.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just on the Turnbull site and saw a case hardened DE. Out of my price range, though.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post