SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Modularity
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Modularity Login/Join 
posted
I hope the forum can help, because Sig's website really stinks.

I am looking at how modular the Sig P320 really is. I have discovered that there are 3 slide/barrel lengths: full-size, Carry/Compact (both 99mm), and sub-compact.

So, I'm fairly certain a 99mm barrel/slide unit will work on both the Carry and compact frames, giving a single slide/barrel length with 6 different grip diameter/length options.

My question is, would a full-size (4.7") barrel/slide unit work on the Carry and/or Compact frames? (In other words, would just 0.7" of slide and barrel "hang" past the end of the grip, much the way the slide/barrel unit does on the M-17?)

If we get Carry/Compact models, are there other grip units which would work, such as the "X" guns'?

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of incogneato
posted Hide Post
Yes, full-size slide can be used on compact, Carry and X grip modules (full and carry), and carry/compact slide will work on X and sub-compact grip modules. A newer trend is running a Carry/compact slide w/ threaded barrel & compensator on a full grip module, and some of us put sub-compact slides on cut-down full, Carry, or compact grip modules. I also ran a sub-compact slide on a compact frame so I could attach a light, prior to getting a sub-compact grip mod w/rail.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: incogneato,

Posts: 124 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most versatile size, IMO, is the Carry. The reason being, yiu can use the mags that come with it in any size grip module. So say you find the Carry too long in the grip, you just buy a Compact and 1 Compact mag (or even SC and SC mag) and use the Carry(FS) mags as spare.

Additionally, you can use a FS slide on the Carry module. The dust cover just won't extend to be flush.

And yes, you can drop in the FCU into various frames and use your slide. The only problems you'll run into is if you want to go up to .45, or if you have older mags to put in the X frames. The way people are gobbling up P320s, getting older mags is less and less of a worry.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outstanding info and clear, so much appreciated! Just one clarification: A FS grip module will work with Carry/Compact slide without modification or sticking past the end of the slide?

My department has a guy who played pro basketball (6' 8" and 275 or so with hands that can palm a b-ball). He is carrying a Glock 21 right now, and his trigger finger still reaches through the trigger a bit too far. Is there a 9/40- size grip module which will accomodate him? He bought a G-22 for personal use, and we ended up adding a Hogue hand-all to make the grip comfortable for him. I suppose that's always an option for the 320, too. (We authorize 40 & 45, but I see us going to a single caliber, 40, with the new pistols.)

I know we have some officers on here, so another question. If you were buying your department new pistols, and you wanted to be able to stock a few extra grip modules to accomodate guys like above down to a 5'4", 100-lb female, which slide size would you prefer to work with all three size grip modules (FS, Carry, and Compact)?

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

posted Hide Post
No, a FS grip module will stick out past a compact slide. The poster above is apparently doing so with a threaded barrel and comp, which I find kinda silly myself, but it's his gun.

Each grip module size (FS, CA, C, SC) comes in S/M/L. I have large hands and the large was good enough. Hogue came out with a grip sleeve for the P320 and I put one on. Holy cow, it was a pain to get on the large size module, but it does add significant circumference.

There is another slight hiccup-the X frames are only available in one size and the rep I spoke with said there wasn't any plans to make them in others, but it could change.

So if I was to stock a small department, I'd get Carry sized with spare modules in small and large.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
No, a FS grip module will stick out past a compact slide. The poster above is apparently doing so with a threaded barrel and comp, which I find kinda silly myself, but it's his gun.

Each grip module size (FS, CA, C, SC) comes in S/M/L. I have large hands and the large was good enough. Hogue came out with a grip sleeve for the P320 and I put one on. Holy cow, it was a pain to get on the large size module, but it does add significant circumference.

There is another slight hiccup-the X frames are only available in one size and the rep I spoke with said there wasn't any plans to make them in others, but it could change.

So if I was to stock a small department, I'd get Carry sized with spare modules in small and large.

Excellent info, Buddy! Thank you

---------

Picture of incogneato
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MMA10mm:
Outstanding info and clear, so much appreciated! Just one clarification: A FS grip module will work with Carry/Compact slide without modification or sticking past the end of the slide?

My department has a guy who played pro basketball (6' 8" and 275 or so with hands that can palm a b-ball). He is carrying a Glock 21 right now, and his trigger finger still reaches through the trigger a bit too far. Is there a 9/40- size grip module which will accomodate him? He bought a G-22 for personal use, and we ended up adding a Hogue hand-all to make the grip comfortable for him. I suppose that's always an option for the 320, too. (We authorize 40 & 45, but I see us going to a single caliber, 40, with the new pistols.)

I know we have some officers on here, so another question. If you were buying your department new pistols, and you wanted to be able to stock a few extra grip modules to accomodate guys like above down to a 5'4", 100-lb female, which slide size would you prefer to work with all three size grip modules (FS, Carry, and Compact)?

Sorry for the confusion on the FS grip mod... got into the weeds with what you could do from a modular standpoint.

I didn't catch that this was for a department. Like BC, I would recommend the Carry, plus a few large & small grip mods. In case you have a need for sub-compact grip mods, it is worth noting that the medium feels much like a cut-down compact & has a rail, where the small is flat-sided and has no rail (essentially "extra small").

Posts: 124 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post