SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kel-Tec pistols PF-9 and P-11 ? ? ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kel-Tec pistols PF-9 and P-11 ? ? ? Login/Join 
posted
So . . . Kel-Tec's 9x19 pistols, PF-9 and P-11:
*Composite frame?
*Striker or Hammer?
*One is single-stack and the other a double-stack?
*Pro's and Con's?

Thank you.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Both hammer.
Heavy DAO on the P11
Lighter trigger on the PF9, but no re-strike.
Polymer grips, metal action.
Only problem I have had with my P11 was a broken slide stop, pistol still functioned fine, but didn't lock back on empty. KT sent me a replacement no charge, easy fix.

I did swap the plastic trigger for an aluminum trigger from Northwood, big improvement.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned 2 pf-9’s.. stay the hell away. Go get a khar cw9 or cm9 for about the same price.
It isn’t pleasant to shoot in the slightest bit, it has shitty plastic sights, and probably won’t be too reliable. Both of mine weren’t, especially the 2nd one.
Also the finish on the slide is as cheesy and bad as it gets. You could color over the whole thing with a sharpie and it might last longer than the factory finish.

There are way too many options for not much more money or about the same price, don’t waste your time/cash

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own both pistols, plus a few other Kel-Tec handguns. A lot of bang for the buck. The P-11 is much more pleasant as a range gun, but the P3AT is a much better concealed handgun. I added a Crimson Trace to my P3AT and a billfold holster......I don't leave home without it. I usually forget that it is even there......works for me.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My P11 has ridden in my pocket, when I wear slacks for work, for the last 6 years or so & was my EDC IWB otherwise until I bought my P320.
Sure, the bluing has worn in places, but it's gone bang every time I've pulled the trigger. As a broke college student, it did the trick until something nicer was in the budget.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My PF9 was a piece of crap. The P-11's worked well, I carried a pair for several years. The company offers a clip for 12 bucks that is very handy. Overall, for the price, I'd recommend a Taurus G2 over the Kel-Tec. I've had both.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I had a PF-9 before there were so many other single-stack 9mm subcompacts to choose from at decent prices. Mine was reliable but no fun to shoot with the heavy, rough trigger. I'd never recommend one nowadays but 9 or 10 years ago, the PF-9 had its place.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If you really want something like the PF-9 but slightly heavier which will help with recoil and a much better fit & finish; check out the Ruger LC9

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
PF-9=garbage IME. Trigger bar broke at 58 rounds. Slide broke at 798 rounds.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3182 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My PF9 would jam on any hollow points, but was 100% reliable with FMJ. I didn't keep it long.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
The Kel Tecs get lots of discussion here. I have owned 3, a P11, 3AT, and now a PF9.

I spent some money on my PF9, new sights, Ion Bond finish on the metal parts, and a Northwood trigger. Early on, the frame cracked on mine, and Kel Tec replaced it. It was jamming about the time the frame cracked, but after I received it back from Kel Tec, it has functioned flawlessly.

I agree they are cheaply made, the improvements I made on mine were expnsive, but really upped the overall aspect of my PF9.

The Northwood trigger is perhaps the upgrade that should be done if you keep the pistol. The PF9 is the little pistol I take with me when biking or on trips.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The PF-9 seems to work either A. Really well or B. is a complete piece of junk for people

No inbetween. I had one a while back and remember it being pretty snappy and not easy to shoot, but didn't have any other issues. Didn't keep it long.

It seemed to function well with 115 grain Silvertips as far as defensive ammo, IIRC.

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
On being ammo picky, my P11 functions better with JHPs that have a smaller 'mouth'
It had some feeding issues with Hydrashocks, but works well with Hornady Critical Defense. The sharper taper of the bullet allows better feeding.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you have a P-11 and want some higher capacity magazines, they will accept S&W 3rd Gen 59xx 15 round magazines. There are grip sleeve adapters available to fill in the gap too: https://www.keltecweapons.com/...15-rd-mag-sleeve-204

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Life is too short to buy Kel-Tec.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 P11s. They are the best combination of size, weight, capacity, and reliablity - with a few improvements, that I can find. The oldest is 17 years old. The factory has very quietly improved a bunch of parts over the 23 year production. I have been a member over at Kel Tec Owners Group (KTOG) from the beginning. I have learned a lot from them. I have also figured out a few things on my own. My 3 P11s run great. I change out 4 parts and smooth about 10 others, and I have had a P365 sized, 12 round, reliable, pocket pistol for 17 years. I have posted all my my upgrade information over at KTOG.

Posts: 5 | Registered: December 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Curious what all you did to yours. The Northwood trigger was the only change I've made & it made a huge improvement.
Aside from some better sights, a reliable lighter trigger, would be a welcome change.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ugrey:
I have 3 P11s. They are the best combination of size, weight, capacity, and reliablity - with a few improvements, that I can find. The oldest is 17 years old. The factory has very quietly improved a bunch of parts over the 23 year production. I have been a member over at Kel Tec Owners Group (KTOG) from the beginning. I have learned a lot from them. I have also figured out a few things on my own. My 3 P11s run great. I change out 4 parts and smooth about 10 others, and I have had a P365 sized, 12 round, reliable, pocket pistol for 17 years. I have posted all my my upgrade information over at KTOG.

I think I want a P-11 now, KT haters be dammed!