SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Differences between P229 and M11A1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Differences between P229 and M11A1 Login/Join 
Picture of JGIORD
posted
Please educate me on the differences (significant or trivial) between the P229 (specifically the P229 Classic Carry) versus the M11A1

The P229 doesn't have a rail so it looks pretty much the same as the M11A1 but with different grips.

Other than 2 less round count 13 vs 15 (which I can't really understand why) and a bit more weight which I guess is attributed to a heavier slide, what are the differences and what makes one better than the other?

Also why would one be over $200 less than the other?

Thanks

Posts: 461 | Location: AZ | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGIORD:
Please educate me on the differences (significant or trivial) between the P229 (specifically the P229 Classic Carry) versus the M11A1

The P229 doesn't have a rail so it looks pretty much the same as the M11A1 but with different grips.

Other than 2 less round count 13 vs 15 (which I can't really understand why) and a bit more weight which I guess is attributed to a heavier slide, what are the differences and what makes one better than the other?

Also why would one be over $200 less than the other?

Thanks

P229 CC: legacy slide, short extractor, old P229 (9) frame holding 13 rounds.
M11-A1: newer slide with full height cocking serrations and long external extractor, newer frame with wider magwell holding 15 rounds, phosphated internals for corrosion resistance.

Which one is "better"? You'll have to decide for yourself. I'd take the CC over the M11-A1 any days.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Don't buy the M11-A1, it has a sticker on it and long extractor. Both make it a useless gun.

I love mine it's the exact same (feels/looks) as the newer 229s sans rail. Not picked up the CC, but I'm sure I'd love that too.

I'm pretty sure you'll have a fine firearm if you bought either.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both are great guns.
I don't like rails. I find the phosphate finish on the M11A1 a bit harder to clean. My M11A1's thin trigger bit my finger so I replaced it with the older fat P226 style trigger. (I immediately shot tighter groups.) I like the "military" look of the M11A1, yet there is something really cool about the look and feel of an older W.German P226. I prefer the old style post and dot sights on the older P226. The sticker issue is silly because it is removable. I can't respond to the long vs. short extractor as after thousands of casings being dragged from the chamber, I have yet to ever have even one failure to extract.

Confuse you enough?

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy both! Have fun!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For mags, just use the Mec-Gar 15 rounders in the P229:
https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...m-15rd-magazine.html

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
My take...

'A': M11-A1, 'B' is the other one.

Let's get my main objection to either right out of the way: both have the obnoxious SIG logo tramp stamp on the their slides; no winner here. Only losers, as I spend wasted time over how best to refinish the slide, yet still deal with the notion of the loss of originality. Hate you SIG; who the hell do you think you are? Glock?

Slide: 'A' copies the serration of the actual P228, but on a stainless base material instead of the P228's folded carbon steel. 'B' however is (almost) pure, honest P229. The forward 'Elite' serrations ruins that purity, unless you like 'em. 'A' has the long MIM extractor that to me just looks butt plain and very weird on a P-SIG slide; 'B' looks classic SIG P229. Short extractor wins the day for me, though the tall serrations functionally are preferred. But then I've never had any problems operating with the partial height P229 serrations.

Frame: Anodizing finish is pretty much the same; dull, matte black that makes me pine for the more refined anodizing that the old German-sourced frames had. 'A' has three mags that hold 15 rounds; 'B' is limited to 13 with the three provided mags. 'A' can use the 13rd mags if needed, while 'B' can't swallow the 'A' mags at all. 'A' mags are from Checkmate. 'B' mags are from Mec-Gar; these days there's little if any quality difference. Both brands run fine. From a usability and firepower standpoint, 'A' is the winner here.

Internals: 'A' has the phosphated parts while 'B' makes do with standard components. If you like practicing with your inner Navy SEAL, then 'A' has to be your choice, with all of the dunking in water and what not. But if the gun is going to live a little less on the 'tactical', then either is fine. Besides if you truly wanted 'tactical', why in blazes did you not buy a P229R and a gear rail in the first place? Advantage: 'A' (interesting to read about more difficulty with cleaning the phosphate parts; I hadn't noticed that with my Mk25 and its phosphated innards).

Trigger: Both come with the short trigger shoe/bow; plenty of slap for someone like me. Plenty of reason to swap it out, as I did. 'A' comes with the SRT, 'B' doesn't. Which one is better depends on one's perspective. If the gun is going to be used like a defensive/service gun, 'A' wins. If it's more desirable to use the gun as a range/target gun where staging of the trigger is desired, the cleaner, less creepy (with less grit) standard action trigger of 'B' will likely rule. I prefer 'B' here, since Glocks are my defensive handguns of choice. But for someone who needs or wants a fast resetting trigger, 'A' will be the choice right out of the box.

Grips: 'A' has standard factory plastic grips. 'B' has G10 panels on its flanks. Here 'B' is by far the clear winner to me.

Sights: Both come with three-dot tritium SIGLite (Meprolight tubed) sights. Functional until one's eyes gets old enough for them to stop being so. No winner here.

Miscellaneous: 'A' came with the silly marketing ploy, psychologically tying the P229 at the hip with the original P228-based M11. The CC TALO is just a limited run P229 for the distributor TALO at a great price point, nothing more. Which is another reason why I bought and own the CC TALO while at the same time I have zero desire to spend the money to add a M11-A1. YMMV.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P229 has been my EDC, and sometimes IDPA SSP. I thought about selling but quickly gnashed that thought, old, 1996, but still runs better than new.
New holster Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: greg1147,

"the soul of a dog is pure"

Posts: 265 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JGIORD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
For mags, just use the Mec-Gar 15 rounders in the P229:
https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...m-15rd-magazine.html

Thanks Buddy

That is good to know

Posts: 461 | Location: AZ | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JGIORD
posted Hide Post
Soggy

I appreciate all the info!

Thank you