SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith&Wesson model 39 (pics added)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith&Wesson model 39 (pics added) Login/Join 
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
If you can't live with it the way it is, sell it and buy one in better condition.

Keep it as it was meant to be.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
They are the first agency I'm aware that went to a 9MM semi-auto as a standard issue weapon, back in the 60s I think.

The 39 was the first pistol I bought, primarily because the ISP had gone with them. That was the middle 70's and I think that was a recent move by the ISP. I may be wrong.

A clown had gone into a bank across the street from where I worked and tried to kill everyone there. He'd been turned down for a loan, came back to rob them for some small sum, about $500 IIRC, and tried to eliminate the witnesses. Once again, memory is shaky. Five shot, two dead maybe. I decided I needed a gun.

No one I knew had a semi-auto, all wheel gun guys, no one who could help get me going. My 39 jammed without fail, I'm sure I was limp wristing it. I traded it off before finding out it was me, not the gun. I regret never getting to know the 39.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Looks like honest wear. I wouldn't change a thing.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's not just that it's honest wear. The ISP Model 39s were involved in the first agency use of +P+ loaded 9x19 cartridges in the United States.

For fans of the 9x19mm- which I am enthusiastically one- this is an historic pistol. The serial number on the pistol indicates late 1960s production. In terms of viable defensive ammunition for the 9x19mm, the pistol pictured in this thread is an historic firearm because of time and place.

Before Federal Ammunition's development of the "Illinois Load" (which you and I know as the Federal 9BPLE), American-manufactured 9x19mm ammunition was loaded on the weak side, for fear of all those aged Lugers and other older 9mm pistols suffering catastrophic failures, and the litigation that goes along with such.

Federal Ammunition and the Illinois State Police opened the door for what we have today- highly effective 9x19mm ammunition.

And the pistol you see pictured in this thread was there at the beginning.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The armorer for the AZ agency I worked for in the early 1970's was from Illinois. He admired the ISP, so much so that when we were finally approved to purchase our own semi auto pistols the S&W Model 39 was his only recommendation.

I'd leave it as it is. A collectors piece more than a shooter.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Contemporary to the Model 39 pictured, I think the Colt Lightweight Commander in 9x19mm might have made a better police pistol, but it would have required cocked & locked carry. Uninformed citizens don't understand this mode of carry, so that wouldn't fly.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Contemporary to the Model 39 pictured, I think the Colt Lightweight Commander in 9x19mm might have made a better police pistol, but it would have required cocked & locked carry. Uninformed citizens don't understand this mode of carry, so that wouldn't fly.

You're right. Some of our citizenry didn't even like our Model 39 pistols. Two years after the Model 39 was approved, I went into death investigations. I opted for a nickel COLT Commander in 9mm, later switched to a nickel COLT Commander .45acp.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Nice pistol and interesting background. I have a Smith & Wesson Model 59 made in 1976. Love the history of the 39 and 59 as they paved the way for the 9mm we have today.

Posts: 724 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post