SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith&Wesson model 39 (pics added)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith&Wesson model 39 (pics added) Login/Join 
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted
My wife’s father passed away suddenly over the weekend. Now that the funeral plans are in place we’ve started cleaning out his apartment. We opened his safe today and among the items inside was a SW model-39.

It seems well made with an alloy frame with a decocker. It was a Illinois State Police pistol. I’m not sure if there is any collector value but the finish on the frame could use some help. I’m thinking it would be good candidate for ceracote.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: badcopnodonut!!,

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
My wife’s father passed away suddenly over the weekend. Now that the funeral plans are in place we’ve started cleaning out his apartment. We opened his safe today and among the items inside was a SW model-39.

It seems well made with an alloy frame with a decocker. It was a Illinois State Police pistol. I’m not sure if there is any collector value but the finish on the frame could use some help. I’m thinking it would be good candidate for ceracote.

Wow, don’t ruin that thing with Cerakote.

39’s are starting to become collectible, especially the old no dash models.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
As an ISP model 39, I believe its got some history as that agency was the first major one to adopt an auto pistol for general issue. I'd love to see a picture of it, but I would leave it as it is.

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m thinking it would be good candidate for ceracote.

Don't you dare!

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
As posted above, from what I have read that is the pistol that legitimized the transition from revolvers to semi-autos. Keep it original and enjoy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
quote:

Don't you dare!

Yeah, his handle fits this situation perfectly. LOL!

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
quote:

Don't you dare!

Yeah, his handle fits this situation perfectly. LOL!

Big Grin

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to agree with the others about collectors value. That said, there are at least a couple of places that would actually re-anodize it. But, neither offer the glossy finish as originally done by S&W. The finish would bug me and I'd be the oddball that would have it refinished.

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Too much character and history in that gun. Keep it as is. IMO. I love it’s looks.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Wow. I looked up the history of that model pistol. Pretty impressive.
Yeah, I'd leave it alone if it were me. Too much history, sentimental value there.
But, it is yours, so...

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
It will stay as is. I'll order a couple extra mags, clean and lube it and give it to my son. Thanks for the education. I love this place.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would be a serious mistake and you would very quickly come to regret changing that pistol. You would be ruining it. Flat-out ruining it.

I'll put it this way- if you do refinish that pistol, I don't want want to know about it. Very bad mistake, and you would regret it. Wake up. That is a collectible firearm with lots of history.

If you want to paint a pistol, go find something on Gunbroker.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will stay as is. I'll order a couple extra mags, clean and lube it and give it to my son. Thanks for the education. I love this place.

thank you!!

may want to get a new recoil spring for it if you plan on shooting it a lot,

just cause,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Years of character, you'll regret it later if you change it.

Posts: 1554 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah don’t mar that weapon with refinishing please.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
That would be a serious mistake and you would very quickly come to regret changing that pistol. You would be ruining it. Flat-out ruining it.

I'll put it this way- if you do refinish that pistol, I don't want want to know about it. Very bad mistake, and you would regret it. Wake up. That is a collectible firearm with lots of history.

If you want to paint a pistol, go find something on Gunbroker.

Understood. The pistol will remain as is.

posted Hide Post
I agree don't refinish. I think the finish shows honest wear and gives the gun a nice character.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

thank you!!

may want to get a new recoil spring for it if you plan on shooting it a lot,

just cause,

Yes, very good advice. Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
For whatever reason, I really like firearms with honest wear. Thanks for sharing that photo, great firearm!!

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
That looks to be in pretty rough/well used condition. Still, I would not refinish it. From the ILL. S.P. on the frame, I agree, that's one of the old Illinois State Police Model 39s. They are the first agency I'm aware that went to a 9MM semi-auto as a standard issue weapon, back in the 60s I think. Also the first I know of that had Federal? load +P+ ammunition for their 9MM S&Ws. Then I notice it has, what collectors refer to as the "broken extractor". Not really broken of course, but appears that way when compared with other early long wide extractor guns. I Don't really know how common or collectible these are, but some research, and possibly a factory letter might be appropriate....

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post