SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 Question for 12131
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 Question for 12131 Login/Join 
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted
Hi Q!

What is the difference or differences to the P228 frame between "old" and "new" that dictates grip fitment?

I ask because I'm going to an auction tomorrow and I'm going to try to buy a 2 tone early P228. It has Hogue rubber grips on it now. I've never been a fan of those because I have smaller hands. If I can't find grips for the pistol, it may not be worth the effort (or cost).

Thanks!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm NOT 12131, but can tell you that 228 grips are all the same fit, and will interchange with 229 grips as well. Buy it! Best balanced 9mm ever built.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yes, all the grip frames are the same for purpose of the grips. What interferes with the grips fitting properly has to do with the main spring housing. Older grips will not fit guns with newer housing. But, all current grips from Hogue, which help the smaller hands (except the rubber ones), will fit, whether your SIG has the old or newer housing.

Q

Posts: 26344 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Well, turns out I didn't get the pistol bought. Looked it over in person before the auction. It was a little beat up. Lots of chips and marks on the frame. It was a 1996 (KG), three matching number DAO. I ran it up to $500, it sold for $550.

I did buy two other handguns. A Beretta 87 Target (.22,LNIB), and a mint S&W Victory in 38spl.

Got a couple rifles as well, but no one would be interested on the pistol board, right? O.K., a Springfield model 1898 Krag carbine and a Rem Nylon 66 (brown, tube fed). Both in great shape.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rem Nylon 66

Congrats. I'm still looking for one in decent shape AND price, but in the black/white diamond/chrome scheme (Apache Black, I think) like I used to have as a kid.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
Rem Nylon 66

Congrats. I'm still looking for one in decent shape AND price, but in the black/white diamond/chrome scheme (Apache Black, I think) like I used to have as a kid.

Soggy, there was one of those at this auction. The only 66's that weren't represented were the red/black and green ones. There were even lever action, magazine feed, and the always rare .22 short only gallery gun! Go to the below site and click on "past auction results", find the 1 Jan 2019, click on that. No prices listed yet, but you can search on Nylon and see all that were there.

Bauer Auction

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Proud of you Bill.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Proud of you Bill.

You should have been there Max. Lots of S&W's. Including a Registered .357 Mag (sold for $3200)!

The prices are up now for anyone that wants to check it out.