SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Elite Stainless Carry beavertail- two different types?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Elite Stainless Carry beavertail- two different types? Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,

I have a 2012 P220 Elite Stainless Carry, and it has the long beavertail shown on the current P220 Elite Stainless.

However, a website search for the P220 Stainless Carry led me to a few other images that showed a short beavertail, more like the current Legion has.

Any idea of which was first, when they changed, and why?

I would 'assume' that they started with long, and went to short, as shorter beavertail might be better for concealed 'carry' of this 'carry' stainless elite.

Yet, I don't know- and they discontinued it a few years ago.

I bought mine last year, but don't know much about the history of them.

Any good articles on the history of the Stainless Carry?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Long tail first.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I know you were asking about the Carry, but it may have been part of a broader set of changes to the 220ST Elite. The original beavertails on standard-sized ST Elites were, IIRC, larger than later beavertails. The main difference in my mind, though, was that the earlier beavertails actually kept the shooter's hand a bit low on the grip frame. I know Bruce Gray offered a service early on where he would make the beavertail a bit smaller and raise the bottom of it a bit so that the web of the shooter's hand could get a little bit higher on the grip. Since he's long worked pretty closely with the factory, it wasn't a surprise to eventually see newer production beavertails that resembled the older beavertails that he had modified.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I know you were asking about the Carry, but it may have been part of a broader set of changes to the 220ST Elite. The original beavertails on standard-sized ST Elites were, IIRC, larger than later beavertails. The main difference in my mind, though, was that the earlier beavertails actually kept the shooter's hand a bit low on the grip frame. I know Bruce Gray offered a service early on where he would make the beavertail a bit smaller and raise the bottom of it a bit so that the web of the shooter's hand could get a little bit higher on the grip. Since he's long worked pretty closely with the factory, it wasn't a surprise to eventually see newer production beavertails that resembled the older beavertails that he had modified.

Interesting.

I'll have to shoot it and see how it feels, compared to the grip position on my P225 [original].

I won't compare it to the 1911, as that is apples/oranges.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post