SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Training with both striker and hammer guns - do you ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Training with both striker and hammer guns - do you ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
How bad is CC/Defense training with both striker and hammer guns ? Or can it be done with equal proficiency, safety, and effectiveness if the shit hits the rotary device ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I don't see why not. There is a school of thought that says "use only one type" - so folks have all Glocks, for example.

I use an XDm in IDPA, sometimes a P220, sometimes 1911.

I carry a G26, or a P229, and occasionally something else, say, a S&W 627PC, P210, 1911, whatever.

I think the key is to train enough with your preferred pistols that when you pick it up, your muscle memory locks in and says "click off the safety (1911 and P220 SAO).

I have not seen the school of thought that says "only train and carry a glock" (for example) also say "only hunt with a lever action (or a bolt action)"

Training is the key to proficiency.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot all kinds of guns that I like in competition as the rules have all sorts of class distinctions. I have guns I like better than others, but in the end the striker/hammer makes not a hoot of difference in my scores/times. And I can't recall any time I had a real oops (like not getting the safety off on a SAO gun). So shoot something (anything) enough and you will be fine. I actually want to be proficient in almost anything as there is no assurance at all that the gun I need to use will be the one I prefer.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Its training time. I carry a Glock at work, a 226 or 2022 off duty. I can shoot both at a high level.

Everything Dreadnaught says is completely correct. The DA/SA isn't harder, it's just different.

A lot of people talk about standardizing to one gun, and if that is good for them, I'm down with it. Some people go as far as to really poo-poo it. In competing and being amped up at some run and gun stuff, I never fail to decock which is one of the big concerns for many.

You'll do as you are trained.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do.

I also shoot pump shotguns, ARs, bolt action rifles and revolvers. Bird hunting is tough with a G19, so one must be a bit more versatile.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I do.

I also shoot pump shotguns, ARs, bolt action rifles and revolvers. Bird hunting is tough with a G19, so one must be a bit more versatile.

Big Grin

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find DA/SA and striker fired completely compatible. I have to maintain proficiency with the Glock for work, but can also qualify and carry with most anything that's not SAO. I carry a P226 on and off duty.

I find that I "decock" the Glock's imaginary decock lever out of force of habit, which doesn't bother anything.

What I can't do is 1911 and P226, or I'll rest my thumb on the slide lock of the P226 and prevent lock back.

Some of it depends on you, some on how much time you'll dry fire, how much time you have to train/practice, etc. If it was me, I'd pick one of each system and stick with it for serious use. One type of DA/SA, one striker, one revolver. Then see how it affects your performance, particularly under stress, and then go from there.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot both pretty regularly. I have strikers ranging in trigger pull weight from 3-7 pounds. And DA/SA guns at 10/5 and 8/2.75. I've never had trouble transitioning or forgetting how to use one. Some of its training but I think a lot of this is attributable to how I think about manipulating the trigger. I don't think of them as different. I just put the sights on target and prep the poo out of it till I feel recoil, rinse repeat.

And I don't have a problem resetting them in recoil. I am as aggressive in resetting a 3 pounder as I am a 5. I'm no stud or majic man. Afer a 5 talk about trigger control and a box of ammo all my bros can do it.

Posts: 204 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a believer that if you're a good shooter, it translates across platforms. I can understand if someone sticks to one though. I also used to be anti-manual safties until I got into 3-gun. Still don't prefer them, but I learned that it wasn't hard for me to go from selector switch, charging handle, bolt catch, two-stage trigger and index finger mag release to a cross bolt safety, creepy one stage trigger, and pump action to racking a slide, DA/SA and thumb mag release. So going between hammer and striker is no worry to me.

I'm no bullseye shooter, but if any of my buddies have an issue shooting a new pistol, I'm the one they hand it to in order to determine if it's the pistol or them. Because they know I'm good actress platforms. Only once has it been the pistol, a used PPK the previous owner drifted the sights.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, with DAK Classic-line SIGs and the P320. Of course the advantage of using those two types of guns is that there are no transitions or manipulation changes: Just pull the trigger to shoot; stop pulling the trigger when finished shooting.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All my pistols are Classic P-Series DA/SA. My wife has a XD Mod2. Doesn't bother me in the slightest going back and forth.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, its 80% DA/SA, 10% striker and 10% 1911 SA.
I understand the "one system only" and think it is valid for a lot of shooters. I have spent enough time and ammo with all three systems to feel comfortable with any of them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Nope. But it's not because I don't want to. I'm a civilian (not paid to carry, no free ammo, and not an instructor) and I like KISS. With handguns I choose a platform, and that platform is all I shoot. I've switched a few times but generally only one platform at a time for 25 years. It's of great help when I get busy and can't get to the range on the reg. If I had more time, and more money, to go the range every week to ten days, I could be proficient on a number of triggers and platforms. But I like things simple, so all my current handguns are Glocks (not because best, but because light weight, and every concealable size offered in 9mm), and all my long guns charge on the right. Best I can do to keep things simple. I also don't worship my firearms. Grown older and treat them as tools. Train on my tools when I can, and focus on life and its' associated problems that come with it the rest of the time. Handguns are necessity to me for defense so I buy, train, and plan accordingly.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both traditional DA/SA and striker-fired designs. Some of them are range guns. If mission made it a better choice, I would have no problem carrying any of my p-series SIGs, a 1911, or my M9. I choose, for the most part, to carry a striker-fired pistol to simplify manual of arms under stress even though I train pretty much equally with both.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I do have and use both, and throw DA revolvers into the mix as well.
I don't really use a gun with a safety, I do have HK USP in that variant, but I just use them as a decocker.
I've been shooting both systems for so long I just aim and pull the trigger, doesn't really matter which one I have in my hand.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've trained with both. I don't see the problem as long as you train with whatever you shoot. It may be more than one gun.

I also have rifles and shotguns and have trained with some of those. They have different triggers.

People carry striker fired guns as primary weapons and have revolvers as a backup. Totaly different trigger systems.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
How bad is CC/Defense training with both striker and hammer guns ? Or can it be done with equal proficiency, safety, and effectiveness if the shit hits the rotary device ?

I don't think it's wrong (bad) at all. I would liken it to having different cars to drive. Am I equally proficient in the wife's car as I am in mine? Probably not, but I get around town just fine in hers (safely and efficiently). Could I throttle it up and maneuver quickly if I had to? Yes, I believe I could. Could I do it as consistently as I could in mine? No, probably not without more time behind the wheel. Hence, practice with BOTH will likely get you where you want to go in the way and time you want to get there.

You're obviously an experienced gun handler, so I know you already know this.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post