SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    J-Frame Questions
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
J-Frame Questions Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
I agree about letting her shoot a few different guns, but I'm all for a nice steel framed j frame if that works for her. Very simple to load, unload, and shoot. A steel frame with standard 38 specials is pretty mellow as far as recoil.
 
Posts: 504 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
4 inch Model 10 heavy barrel. Good trainer gun for revolvers. If the Model 10 is a good experience, then an SP-101 EDC would be a good choice. Or if you can find one, a round butt 3 inch Model 10, 65, or 64. These all weigh about the same.

Ditto. This might be the lightest recoiling .38 Special I've ever shot -- and it was cheap, too. (Sadly, I fear that those days are gone.) Might be hard to find in a 3", though.

 
Posts: 523 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I agree that a J-frame isn't ideal for a new shooter. My wife shot mine once and has no desire to do it again. She much prefers her full size PPQ, but she doesn't carry, so size isn't that much of an issue.

Along with the models mentioned, there are also "CT" models that come with Crimson Trace grips from the factory, and of course you could add them to one that you pick up. Mine came with the larger LG-305's, which make it a little easier to shoot than the shorter, boot grip-sized LG-105's.

I also painted my front sight. Following another's recommendation, I painted it white first, then orange on top of the white to make it stand out more.


<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"Never forget those who died. Never forget who killed them." - Pat Rogers
 
Posts: 5107 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
4 inch Model 10 heavy barrel. Good trainer gun for revolvers. If the Model 10 is a good experience, then an SP-101 EDC would be a good choice. Or if you can find one, a round butt 3 inch Model 10, 65, or 64. These all weigh about the same.

Ditto. This might be the lightest recoiling .38 Special I've ever shot -- and it was cheap, too. (Sadly, I fear that those days are gone.) Might be hard to find in a 3", though.




SOG had a batch of them a few months ago, for $229ish dealer cost IIRC, that were beaters but mechanically sound,

4" bull barrel square butt with rubber grips,

I ordered a few for some customers,


eta, just checked, they are sold out,, sorry



www.chesterfieldarmament.com
 
Posts: 6912 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
J-Frames are nice close quarter revolvers, and aren't meant for target or long distance shooting, but make a reliable way to carry a weapon that doesn't weigh a lot or take up a lot of real-estate , Ruger also puts to a very nice revolver in their LCR model with several calibers to choose, first time shooters /carriers should pick a gun that feels good and comfortable in their hand, and better yet going to an indoor range where they can try out any of the guns they thought they might like...IMHO...
 
Posts: 241 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
SOG had a batch of them a few months ago, for $229ish dealer cost IIRC, that were beaters but mechanically sound,

4" bull barrel square butt with rubber grips,

I ordered a few for some customers,


eta, just checked, they are sold out,, sorry

That's a good price -- that's about what I paid ten years ago from J&G. Oh well, too good to last, I guess.
 
Posts: 523 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
J frames make outstanding target revolvers, and in .38 will last nearly forever. I carried the Model 10 and Model 64 for quite a while, and am very partial to short barrel j-frames for pocket or ankle carry.

A .38 j-frame is an outstanding first handgun for someone to start on, and it's hard to go wrong with one.
 
Posts: 2479 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
My experience with training new shooters is that the airweight J frames are not suitable for a person to practice and build skills with. Recoil on those little light weight revolvers is brutal and a novice shooter is not going to practice with it. Many times a woman has come to my class with one of these little revolvers that a well meaning husband or sales person has chosen for them and 5 or 10 rounds into the qualification course they are ready to throw it away and quit. A solid steel J frame on the other hand is a little heavier and a lot more comfortable to shoot. On the other hand, I have seen a lot of folks show up with a micro pistol that they cannot operate because they don't have the hand strength to operate the slide. Everybody is different, find what works


CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
Florida Class K Licensed Instructor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor/RSO
NRA Certified LE Handgun/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
SIG and Glock Armorer
 
Posts: 2301 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If a snub nosed, full power revolver is strongly desired for SD purposes, then I would also recommend a Ruger SP-101 as a first choice. I have a first gen S&W 640 (+P rated) and the Ruger absorbs recoil better with .357’s than the Smith does with +P’s.

I will also add that the LCR in .22LR would be a good starting point for any novice shooter looking to use a snub as their carry choice. After a bit of practice, you can dump 8 rounds of .22 in a small target area with frightening speed. Once the muscle memory is ingrained, recoil in a SP-101 loaded with .38’s would hardly be noticed in a stress situation.




NIKE- The Swoosh with a Douche
 
Posts: 8707 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
J frames make outstanding target revolvers, and in .38 will last nearly forever. I carried the Model 10 and Model 64 for quite a while, and am very partial to short barrel j-frames for pocket or ankle carry.

A .38 j-frame is an outstanding first handgun for someone to start on, and it's hard to go wrong with one.


Trying to figure out if you have confused J Frames (like the Model 36 and 60) with K Frames (like the Model 10 and 64).

I’ve never heard J Frames described as target revolvers before, even though in skilled hands they can be surprisingly accurate.




 
Posts: 23067 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
J frames make outstanding target revolvers, and in .38 will last nearly forever. I carried the Model 10 and Model 64 for quite a while, and am very partial to short barrel j-frames for pocket or ankle carry.

A .38 j-frame is an outstanding first handgun for someone to start on, and it's hard to go wrong with one.


Trying to figure out if you have confused J Frames (like the Model 36 and 60) with K Frames (like the Model 10 and 64).

I’ve never heard J Frames described as target revolvers before, even though in skilled hands they can be surprisingly accurate.


No, you're right, I was thinking k frame for the model 10 and model 64.

I have a variety of 642's and other j-frame revolvers, and carry them frequently in the pocket, however, and they're terrific choices for defense as a light, compact, snag-free pistol.

I think that even the snobby j-frame gets a bit of a bum rap, as they're quite capable in terms of accuracy. .38 from a stubby is a bit anemic, but also controllable.

I carry them with Gold Dot, usually with a couple of speed strips with spares.
 
Posts: 2479 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Steel j frames always have more recoil than my wife care for. She has no problem with my k frame 4or 5" in 38 spl or 45acp
 
Posts: 64 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have a S&W 637 from their Performance Center with their enhanced action. Great little gun.

Yes ... J Frames take some practice to shoot well beyond 15 yards. One can mitigate the short sight radius and improve hitting targets and longer range with a set of Crimson Trace grips. Made a BIG difference for my on my 637.
 
Posts: 454 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My wife is a petite Filipina just over 5'2" on her first trip to the range last year she picked through most of my handguns and found the ones she wanted to try...she tried my S&W 640 no dash and 642 pro...hated them...loved my Colt Mustang and my H&K USP full size 9mm and my Dan Wesson Valor...she has a strong grip but could not get used to the grip shape on the smiths..both magnas and stock J-frame rubber grips...I would as others have said...find a range with rental guns and let her pick a couple to try..see what fits her hand then see which she can shoot well and likes...rinse and repeat till she finds a good balance of fit and feel and function.
 
Posts: 11 | Location: Indiana or ROK | Registered: May 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Wow...great thread!

I recently took my wife to a range to shoot, trying to find a gun she was comfortable with.

She shot:
Sig P239 in 9mm and .40
Sig P365 (rented)
S&W Model 36
Glock 19
Kahr PM9

I expected her to like the steel Model 36 best. She by far favored the Glock 19. It is now her bedside gun (which is a drag for me because it was my primary off-duty gun).

So to lessen the sting, I purchased a P365 to take its place Big Grin

Though I think I will eventually buy her her own G19.

If you friend hasn't done so already, I also encourage you to talk him/her into going to a range and shooting/renting several.




Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones
 
Posts: 10027 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
J-frames shoot-ability all about after-market grips. Hogue and Pachmayr being my favs.


.
 
Posts: 7055 | Location: Sunset Highway MP37, then turn South | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
She made a good choice Chongo Wink
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Wow...great thread!

I recently took my wife to a range to shoot, trying to find a gun she was comfortable with.

She shot:
Sig P239 in 9mm and .40
Sig P365 (rented)
S&W Model 36
Glock 19
Kahr PM9

I expected her to like the steel Model 36 best. She by far favored the Glock 19. It is now her bedside gun (which is a drag for me because it was my primary off-duty gun).

So to lessen the sting, I purchased a P365 to take its place Big Grin

Though I think I will eventually buy her her own G19.

If you friend hasn't done so already, I also encourage you to talk him/her into going to a range and shooting/renting several.


_____________________________________________________________________
”At pretium libertatus“
امّا شما مشخص خواهد شد كه با همه شما را ملاقات کنند
 
Posts: 10886 | Location: Carolina but Texas in my heart | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    J-Frame Questions

© SIGforum 2018