SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911s external extractors
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911s external extractors Login/Join 
Picture of YukonCornelius
posted
Who here feel the external extractors have been problematic?

Sig Sauer P938
Browning Auto 5

Posts: 8 | Location: Key West, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Not me. Two Sig 1911s without issue.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
My S&W was perfect. Ran like a top.

All of mine do actually but I should have kept the darned thing...it just wasn’t traditional and it wasn’t a very good candidate for customization.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
No problem with my Smith and Wesson Pro Series 9mm 1911.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine would make JMB proud. No problem.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recent versions seem to be doing well.
But there was the overseas customer who had a dud and found it impossible to send back on "lifetime guarantee."

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
My E-series has run without a hiccup since new, though I confess I shoot it considerably less these days.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Mine would make JMB proud. No problem.

LOL

Well done.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sig and Smith guns run good the Kimbers that had them junk.

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Odd I have more experience with having external vs internal. No problems here even with my Kimber TLE/RLII.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber CDP with external extractor and have not had a problem.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YukonCornelius:

I think for the most part these days external extractors 1911 are good to go.

What I don't like about external extractors there is no "standard" for 1911 external extractors they are proprietary.. each maker makes his own. This is a problem in the piston driven AR Carbines as well. Normally non proprietary parts is a positive about military weapons.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Own one on a Sig because the oddball caliber (357 Sig) was on clearance. No function issues, but I am wholly unimpressed with the aesthetic. 1911s should be slick slided, internal extractor as designed. Anything else is just meh...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
No issues with Sig or S&W E series with external extractors. I don't like the looks but they work fine.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YukonCornelius:

Early production SIG P938s suffered chipped extractor claws with some frequency. Dunno if that problem has been fixed.

There are folks who would say that an external extractor 1911 is an oxymoron. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a couple with external extractors and no problems with them.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
My SW1911 has also been perfect.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had any issues with external extractors, just that they're FUGLY. I have had a few very minor issues with internal extractors sending brass straight up in the air and at you.....but never a real issue.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
The Sig and Smith guns run good the Kimbers that had them junk.

Based on my personal experience with all these brands, this post is absolute TRUTH.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I had a .45 1911 that had a MIM external extractor. An air pocket was in the casting and the extractor broke in half.

Bought another one for almost nothing. The extractor had been misplaced. Had to chase one down for a .17mach2 1911, but the .22lr extractor works great.

Everything else has been fine.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post