SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bit the '320' bullet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bit the '320' bullet Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
I've always been a Single/double action pistol person even though I have been trying double action only with my carry guns as of late.

I'm scheduled to take a test this Dec. This will be the 4th time, I've passed the previous 3 times but I really want to ace it this time and so I'm going to try something a tad out of my previous experiences:

Sig P320 compact with RX sight.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Make sure before your test you become proficient bring up the red dot and be able to acquire as quickly as needed for your test. I have one and found that I couldn't acquire the red dot quick enough for carry or match purposes but then was just me. I put Xray sites on my P228 and WOW dead on. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've actually had very little trouble with the shooting part of the test in the past. 1st time was with a Ruger P95... missed one out of 25 shots, 2nd time the same with a standard Sig P226, last year I missed two with a Sig MK25 but they called me late on several shots... I was taking my time because in the past if you fired right at the final buzzer or just a hair after they would let you 'pass'. So, I'm hoping to speed up this time around. Examples: All drawing from concealed:
two to center mass: 1.8 seconds, or from the ready: 1.4 seconds, (these are at 3 meters)
Then the real challenge is the ones at 15 meters where you have a controlled pair to center mass in less that 2 seconds from concealed.
And also, center mass and headshots are not the full area of a silhouette but about half that.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What is this "test" you speak of? You guys have to qualify with your CCW guns or something?

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I go once a year with a group to Front Sight in Nevada and take the four day defensive hand gun course. It has to be the most disciplined class I've ever taken. I know it sounds strange to take the same class over and over but what we've discovered is it ingrains the muscle memory of proper drawing, aiming and firing....and by doing this intensly once a year it really stays embedded. I have a P250 compact and really like the grip and feel of that polymer pistol. From what I've learned here, the P250s and the p320s have basically the same frame and grip. Another nice part is since I have several magazines for the p250 compact ... they will work on this new P320 compact. And I'll bring the p250 with me to Front Sight as my back up.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I have several friends and know a couple of customers who have gone through Front Sight at least a couple of times and they all say that it's the best training that they've ever been through. A couple of them have been badgering me to join them with their 'next' visit, and each time I find some reason not to attend. Not sure what's wrong with me; it sounds like it's well worth it.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Soggy,

I'll bet you a box of ammo you will not regret it. And I suspect you know the listed price of the course is never an issue if you know someone who is a 'member'... only cost is travel, food and lodging. But for sure if you are flying to just buy the ammo from them and have it waiting and also order the box lunches from their place. The Best Western in Pahrump has a decent 'free' breakfast.

the guy that owns it, Dr. P. is a nut, I've never met the man but his email marketing is over the top and I'd suspect puts some folks off. The first time I went I would have bet you several boxes of ammo that at some time during the course they were going to put me in a room and give me the sales pitch to buy into the future resort the he is always promoting... Not only did they not do that, there was no mention of this ... I think they do have a slide show on the first day while folks are milling around.... Don't know what one does with their on line credits other than buy stuff at their store at the facility... but Dr. P gave me another $1,500 this past Christmas... I actually am buying this P320 through Sront Sight.... price with shipping to my ffl is $775 and I will have to pay $25 for the transfer fee. So my cost is going to be $800.. which seems about right. Suggested retail at the Sig web site is $968.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I have several friends and know a couple of customers who have gone through Front Sight at least a couple of times and they all say that it's the best training that they've ever been through. A couple of them have been badgering me to join them with their 'next' visit, and each time I find some reason not to attend. Not sure what's wrong with me; it sounds like it's well worth it.

I have what was at the time the unlimited something or other membership; never pay for a class again, cost of ammo only. I bought one for me and the wife, for each of the kids and for my brother. None of us have yet to go.

I started getting bombarded with ads, phone calls, letters, emails, all telling me that I had to upgrade to the latest membership, extra money every time, and suddenly my premium top of the line presidential-whatever membership didn't matter much any more, until I had the next greatest thing. Just one big bait and switch scheme, buy the best, now buy something better.

I asked them repeatedly to stop calling, texting, emailing, sending letters, yada, yada, yada. Blocked them. They just kept on. I haven't heard from them for a while now; maybe they got the message.

I have friends who think they're great, but they pissed me off enough that I'll likely never go.

One friend in particular couldn't stop talking about his visits; he goes several times a year. He went over the dance they do of checking left and right, in and out, over and under to the point that I think I'd spend more time worrying about missing a step than actually focusing on fundamentals or shooting.

Kind of pissed me off that I can't bring my own ammunition. I make my ammunition, and it's always been good enough everywhere else and for every other course I've shot.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
Make sure before your test you become proficient bring up the red dot and be able to acquire as quickly as needed for your test. I have one and found that I couldn't acquire the red dot quick enough for carry or match purposes but then was just me. I put Xray sites on my P228 and WOW dead on. Chris

^^This.

Once I locate the dot I can transition from target to target faster than I can with iron sights.

But from the draw I can acquire a sight picture faster with irons than I can with a red dot (I can't always immediately locate the dot).

I'm working on it though, since all in all my 50 year-old eyes prefer the red dot.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see if I can acquire the target quicker with the red dot than regular Sig sights.... I'm pretty good with the regular or night sights... just need a tad more speed.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Picked the pistol up yesterday and spent this morning reconoidering it. I don't think learning the red dot will be a major deal but it is different. As I may have mentioned I have a Sig p250 compact and really like the feel of the grip and of course the frames are the same. Now the one item I did or may continue to have a problem with is the reassembly. It took me about 20 minutes this morning to get the dern thing back together.... I ended up having to read the instructions. Seems the recoil spring rod had to be positioned a certain way... 90 degrees different than what you think... also the slide does not slip on or back fully nearly as well as my other sig pistols. Trigger of course on this striker fired is different than my others... I'd estimate 5lbs and I'm hoping it might get a little better after a couple hundred rounds have gone through he gun....

Oh and the other item I have never heard of... in glancing through the owner's manual it shows a place where never to oil or lube... on the underside of the slide at the rear where they say the striker is... I guess I'm going to have to read the whole thing... including the first 15 pages of disclaimers and warnings. I'm still trying to figure out the one about making sure your gun is safety holstered and positioned so that it will not be pointed in a dangerous direction if you trip or fall...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Picture of DsWright
posted Hide Post
You have to learn how to shoot a red dot. Dry fire draw till you can find it quickly. Superimpose the dot onto the target, don't try to "aim" with the dot like irons.

focus on the target, look where you want the gun to go, and bring the gun there until you see the dot appear.

If you practice, just like with an irons gun, your natural index should point the gun where ever you look with the dot in the middle. Seems like 99% of shooters over aim with the dot and end up slower than irons.

I shoot a 6moa romeo on an X5 with the GG goodies in uspsa. After learning the dot i was shooting with it very quickly and accurately on the move in no time. It's fun when you can clear a plate rack on the move, and you are already gone to the next position before the steel even falls, dots make calling your shots that easy, if you learn them correctly.

Posts: 1096 | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm headed up to the East Coast Ruger forum (Dot Com) gathering next weekend. This is in N.C and hosted by a guy with his own private gun range and it is to be blunt a real hoot. He is into competitive shooting (I can't remember the abbreviation) but he sets up a course for folks to run through and shoot. Last year it scared most of the guys off and they did not want to try it.. something like 32 rounds total needed to complete. Besides paper silhouette target there are usually a number of steel ones on this course too. If I can get the hang of this new pistol, I think it will be fun to run the course with it. Here is a link to a video of me last year using my Sig P226. I had a Garmin Gopro type camera on my head while I did it. (Oh, and my comment at the end is because I did not run my final magazine dry which meant I had missed even shooting at one of the targets)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrZ_QK2yShU

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Picture of DsWright
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I'm headed up to the East Coast Ruger forum (Dot Com) gathering next weekend. This is in N.C and hosted by a guy with his own private gun range and it is to be blunt a real hoot. He is into competitive shooting (I can't remember the abbreviation) but he sets up a course for folks to run through and shoot. Last year it scared most of the guys off and they did not want to try it.. something like 32 rounds total needed to complete. Besides paper silhouette target there are usually a number of steel ones on this course too. If I can get the hang of this new pistol, I think it will be fun to run the course with it. Here is a link to a video of me last year using my Sig P226. I had a Garmin Gopro type camera on my head while I did it. (Oh, and my comment at the end is because I did not run my final magazine dry which meant I had missed even shooting at one of the targets)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrZ_QK2yShU

Nice, looks like most typical USPSA stages.

Here is me shooting my 320X5 with R1 6MOA on a small weeknight indoor USPSA stage. All shots were A with only a couple C. You can shoot REALLY fast and accurate with a dot, im going kind of fast here, and im not even that good by USPSA standards, im only B class. Don't have any good outdoor video right now since i switched to the dot.

https://drive.google.com/open?...kxiOIeD5STNk2_EZSKPT

posted Hide Post
If you buy the Gray Guns upgrade trigger, it will be much easier to make fast, accurate shots. You can install the trigger in about 5 minutes.

Well, 15 minutes of watching youtube videos, and then 5 minutes for installation.

I like the straight faced trigger best.
https://grayguns.com/product/p...-p320-trigger-pelt2/

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I looked at that trigger and I have a question, which I guess I really need to ask the folks at Gray Guns... they specifically say this trigger is only for guns that have "gone through Sig's voluntary upgrade program."

Well my gun, picked up new last week, as far as I know has not gone through this..... So, I guess the trigger won't work?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Picture of DsWright
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked at that trigger and I have a question, which I guess I really need to ask the folks at Gray Guns... they specifically say this trigger is only for guns that have "gone through Sig's voluntary upgrade program."

Well my gun, picked up new last week, as far as I know has not gone through this..... So, I guess the trigger won't work?

It should have, Sig stopped shipping them until upgraded. Quick way to tell is take your VERIFIED CLEAR UNLOADED gun, point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger multiple times. If the trigger clicks only once, its upgraded. If every pull clicks, it is not.

GG flat trigger kit is what im running in the video above. It is fantastic. Get the SS guide rod from them while you are at it.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I may have to go with those... I managed to make it to my gun range today... had to jack the sight up a lot, was shooting about 3" low.... I'm really having a hard time getting used to that striker trigger and it does not seem to be the same between the first shot after chambering a round (extremely light) and the follow up shots... not as light. I did get better after putting about 50 rounds through the pistol so part of it is probably my grip and trigger pull. But still had trouble making true head shots (3"x4" ocular cavity) at 40 feet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blume9mm,

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Picture of DsWright
posted Hide Post
quote:
I may have to go with those... I managed to make it to my gun range today... had to jack the sight up a lot, was shooting about 3" low.... I'm really having a hard time getting used to that striker trigger and it does not seem to be the same between the first shot after chambering a round (extremely light) and the follow up shots... not as light. I did get better after putting about 50 rounds through the pistol so part of it is probably my grip and trigger pull. But still had trouble making true head shots (3"x4" ocular cavity) at 40 feet.

Irons or dot? It took me a minute to warm up to it a bit as well, the GG trigger system makes a ton of difference. It doesn't have a substantial wall like most strikers, once i learned to pull through clean it's like i can't hardly miss with it.

I also found it likes 124gr bullets, and REALLY likes 135gr. I reload and use .357 sized hitek 135gr bullets and get the best accuracy from that over 3.5 gr titegroup. I never tried 147 as i don't like waiting on the slide to cycle before the next shot, they are just to slow.

I have a Talon grip tape applied as well, which also made it very grippy, and i love very aggressive grips, shooting fast and accurate is all about grip, so i don't want it to squirm on me.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I may have made the right decision (second bite of the bullet) in that I've ordered one of the Gray Gun triggers... actually just for the heck of it I ordered two. the only thing is they were out of the flat triggers and so I had to order a curved one.. So, I'm violating my first run of new gun ownership and going to probably install this before I've run enough rounds through the gun. But I don't expect the triggers to get here before this weekend and I'll probably run a hundred or so rounds through it on Saturday.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"